+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Firedrills in Technical; I do apologise if this is in the wrong area and am sure the moderators will move it to the ...

Thank Post

Firedrills

I do apologise if this is in the wrong area and am sure the moderators will move it to the correct forum,

I am currently considering implementing SIMS into the classrooms so the teachers can do the attendance registers on their laptops, then I was asked what happens if there is a fire drill as there will be no registers and the teachers will not have time to disconnect there laptops from their whiteboards.

My next option was to replace the teachers laptops with hybrid tablets then the screen can be detached and SIMS will be available at the fire assembly point, but due to the cost and other projects on the go I canít afford to replace all 25 at the moment.

How does everyone else who uses SIMS in the classroom deal with a firedrill ??

Thank Post
    We take registers in the morning and afternoon only. We print the registers too and put in a folder with messages etc so the tutor can take the register manually on paper if needed. Registers need to be completed by 9am and 2pm. The reception administrator then prints out the register shortly after each deadline and after electronically entering the register in to Sims if the tutor couldn't take it electronically. These paper copies are then put into the fire box in reception which is then taken with the administrator if the fire bell rings and each register is collected from the administrator by the tutor at the assembly point. We have a late arrivals book and sign out book which is cross referenced on the drill.

There is also a system called Sims Emerge for iOS but is rather expensive. We have a couple of licenses but probably won't renew. It enables you to take and view registers and it caches the sims database so it can be viewed offline.

This system works well and we have tested it during several fire drills. Also, I realise there is a point in time where there could be an unknown if the register hasn't been printed for any reason, but don't forget that each tutor knows how many students they have and they can easily ask the group who is missing and are they known to be absent that day or where they were last seen.

I hope this helps.

Thank Post
    We did look into Emerge but the cost for every teacher to use it on there ipad was around £3k per annum.

Thank Post
    The way I see it, the system that you use needs to work in the event of a real fire. In which case, you can't depend that the server/wireless AP isn't on fire and therefore dead.

Our system is that each teacher keeps a folded up copy of their tutor list inside their staff badge lanyard that they update on the odd occasions that their tutor changes. They then use that to take a register from.

We do registration of every lesson NTW.

Meldrew

Thank Post
    We do an AM and PM register. We're a 'green school' so two sheets of paper per class per day was deemed not an option. So we have a laminated copy of each class list. After each registration the office staff do a report on SIMS to find absent students who are then marked with a dry wipe pen on the laminated class lists.

In the event of a fire these laminated class lists are taken out and any student without a mark to say they're out should be there. We've been using this method for about 2 years and whilst we've not used it in a real fire it has worked well in our drills.

Thank Post
    Similar to bladedanny. We're an infant school, so generally the kids stay in class groups in one room for most of the day, which helps, but following advice from a fire inspection, we have laminated sheets which are kept at the fire exit to each classroom. As well as a tick list of names, the number of children present that day is recorded. Therefore you can do a really quick check by counting the number of children in your line, so you've got a good idea of whether you need to look for someone pretty quickly.

We've just started increasing the difficulty levels for fire drills. The last one was during lunch hour, so some class teachers off site and midday supervisors had to do the registers. Interesting results....lots of lessons learned. This term's will be un-announced and on my suggestion, we're going to get a child to hide in a toilet to see how long it takes to find them. I think it might be me who needs to hide if it gets out that it was my idea...

IMHO you definitely shouldn't rely on anything that needs to be printed after the fire alarm has been triggered and despite ICT being my trade, I don't think it's the answer in this situation.

Thank Post
    We were advised that there is no requirement to provide a register in the event of a real fire as they will search the whole school regardless...... So we don't actually print anything off unless we have a drill.

Thank Post
    Not sure about entering the burning building to find a missing child. Surely the fire service should do that, you just provide details of missing students and possible locations. Surely a better test would be to pose as a fire at the bottom of the stairs to divert them to another fire exit to see how we'll they react.

Don't forget, the aim is to evacuate the school as quickly and safely as possible, gather together for registration and safety and inform the emergency services of the situation and any potential missing people. Drills are there to ensure everyone knows what to do and where to go and conform to health and safety regs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    I agree, nobody should re-enter a building to find a child.

Staff should be sweeping the building as they leave if it's safe to do so. We are told to check toilets as we pass by on the way out. We have had plants for unannounced drills to check it's being done.

Thank Post
    LOL - I never said staff should! When I said 'they' I meant the fire brigade.

Thank Post
    @MattGibson my comment was aimed @jmak

Thank Post
    My point is to find out how long it takes to identify that someone is missing and who it is - I'm not saying that staff should go looking. There's no one on the staff I hate that much!

Edit: just read my original post and I see how I gave the wrong impression.
    Last edited by jmak; 17th April 2013 at 09:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,022 Times in 1,496 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    There's no one on the staff I hate that much!.
    Waits for rant Behind The Red Door tomorrow

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread