+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Two different networks / two different passwords in Technical; In my current school I look after 2 different (completely separate) networks. 1 is a managed service provided by a ...

Thank Post

Two different networks / two different passwords

In my current school I look after 2 different (completely separate) networks. 1 is a managed service provided by a government led scheme here in N.Ireland, and the other network is our own internal (legacy) network.

The usernames are the same for pupils on both networks, but the passwords cannot be synched across the two networks - nor can the password be set to "never expire" on the managed service network. I can however set the password to "never expire" on our own internal network.

The pupils require access to both systems unfortunately - the majority of subject classes are taught using our internal network equipment, but occassionally classes have to use the managed service network, and this is where the problems arise primarily - they seem incapable of differentiating between the 2 different networks, despite obvious equipment differences / log on prompt differences & even different building locations!

I am constantly fighting a losing battle against persistent password changes / locked out accounts due to numerous times trying incorrect passwords - usually they are trying their password for 1 system on the other etc.

Anyone have a similar set up in their school (involuntarily or otherwise!) & wish to share their experiences on how to eliviate this confusion?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    Wow that sounds like a complete mess, is there no way you could scrap one or the other?

Many of the schools on here will have had 2 separate networks at one point or another but these are often curriculum and admin networks, the majority of these will have been merged in the last few years.

Could you potentially change the usernames on one of the networks to make it more obvious which network they are using? having a trust setup between the two would be one solution but I'm guessing that's not likely to be possible.

Thank Post
    Unfortunately I can't have a trust set up between the managed service network & our own internal network.

I can't scrap the managed service network as it's government provided & as such is used for SIMS etc within the school, not to mention the provision of an allocation of workstations / laptops dependent on our pupil intake numbers. This is due for a refurb soon.

The other internal network has been built up over the years & is actually in a more advanced state now than the managed service network. This gives us the opportunity to thoroughly expand our network workstation capacity without the significantly inflated costs imposed by the managed service. I am also aware that in the current job situation it is preferable (from my perspective) to maintain my own network in house. If I were to scrap that network it would seriously decrease our workstation capacity, and I think that's definitely the wrong way to go.

I'm going to prepare some documentation for the start of the 2013 school year & take time out to go into as many classes as possible to describe the network differences to pupils right at the beginning. I'm also considering setting a random password for each user on our legacy network & set it not to expire. I know this isn't ideal for password security, but would hopefully lead to a decrease in password resets (at the moment this is happening 2x networks!)

Thank Post
    I feel your pain, I had a situation similar to this (Kent BSF school so same Service Providor) except my legacy network was all standalone workstations with windows xp + steady state running. Used to kinda work, I used to push images out through FOG and the students "used" the Managed services web based file access solution to get to their files.

Thankfully that is now gone and we are all on the same network. Is there a reason (besides cost) that the school will not move everything to this managed service?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread