+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Visually Impaired Pupil in Technical; Our current year 7 group has a partially sighted pupil. He has a laptop provided by our LEA however he ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Visually Impaired Pupil

Our current year 7 group has a partially sighted pupil. He has a laptop provided by our LEA however he needs to have this linked to the display on any of our teachers laptop's he is currently with. I thought that I'd ask here as well as the RNIB site to find out how this could be achieved? We have projectors in each room but this isn't good enough sadly are there any options for this, using say a wired or wireless network? We haven't got fully wireless coverage but if the right solution presents itself we may be able to sort this out!

Wes

Thank Post

Re: Visually Impaired Pupil

RM Tutor (netsupport for non cc3 networks) would work across the network, you can allow any screen to be shared with a number of screens or just 1. There are plenty of other software around that does the same.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Only needs to be on the teachers and this particular pupil's laptop. VNC doesn't refresh quickly or well enough to allow for the sort of system we need. Netsupport would be very expensive for such a small group of people (20 teachers at most I think).

Wes

Thank Post

There is some software from smart That I looked at a while back called LinQ,
    http://www2.smarttech.com/st/en-US/S.../LinQv1Win.htm
    Which may do what you want, we ended up just ginving teachers write access to the pupils work area so he could follow what they were doing on his laptop

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Needs to be in real time sadly so the shared work area isn't an option annoying though cause that would sort out a few things!

Wes

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries

The problem you will have is that all such packages will be as slow as VNC as they are pretty similar. VNC should refresh pretty much immediately, but this depends on the compression levels, the speed of the network etc...

Thank Post

I be missing the plot of what you need. But where i have worked before we used a software called supernova for partially sighted pupil.
    This was installed on a computer for them and when they logged in the software change the normal display to much larger. (one icon the size of a 17" screen)
    You could use that with a remote computer using windows remote desktop if they are in more then one class room.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyw
    VNC doesn't refresh quickly or well enough to allow for the sort of system we need.
    It could work quite well if you ran the Listening VNC client on the pupil's machine and had the staff PCs run a VNC server which offered a connection to his machine.

Thank Post

What we've done is to have VGA splitters and extra TFT Monitors in the classrooms, messy, but simple and effective.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by FatBoyFonz
    What we've done is to have VGA splitters and extra TFT Monitors in the classrooms, messy, but simple and effective.
    Same here. The child in question is a blackbelt and very, VERY good at martial arts as well, so we didn't dare say no..

I forgot the other day, and she came to my "stable door" service hatch to get some printing..I picked it up and said "is this it?"...

.."I don't know Sir...I can't see it! it's me, Robyn.."

"Ah....um...hang on, I'll let you in..".. ops:

Thank Post

Just kick the kid out of the school... plant something in their home folder. Problem solved.

Thank Post
    VNC doesn't refresh quickly or well enough to allow for the sort of system we need. Netsupport would be very expensive for such a small group of people (20 teachers at most I think).
    Have you got anywhere with this - I am having the same problem, VNC is fine for viewing powerpoint etc, but when it comes to watching video clips / DVDs it doesn't refresh quick enough.

Have you got an alternative method in place? I have looked at splitter cables - but for our secondary school kids this just wouldn't work as they move around too much and would have to carry it all.

Thank Post
    We've got the same problem and the only solution we've found is the VNC listening client. We have no money to spend on this student so we have to come up with a free solution (other departments have though - the site manager has repainted all of the corridors, door frames and steps to high contract colours and has had new carpets fitted for this one student).

The refresh rate is acceptable but a draw back is that the teacher cannot 'freeze' the display and do other things (like they do) because that gets transmitted to the client.

HBJB

14. Thanks to Heebeejeebee from:

Nats (6th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanks for this. How do I go about getting the VNC listening client?? Is it easy to run? Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks very much,
    Natalie

Thank Post
    Have a look at TightVNC, sure I saw something on there about a VNC projector that would project a screen to single or multiple PC screens over the network. Link TightProjector: Broadcast Screen Over the Network

17. Thanks to TechSupp from:

Nats (6th December 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast