+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How do you do....it? Thread, IT Capital Spend in Technical; we've got no budget at the moment but should have a grant for the suite in December but so far ...
    Thank Post
    we've got no budget at the moment but should have a grant for the suite in December but so far we've cut back on everything

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Only one response to that - your head needs to wake up and realise it is the 21st century. A single projector lamp could eat through that maintenance budget with some projectors.

How many machines do you have in your school?
    30 desktops in the suite
    5 in the office
    55 laptops
    4 Severs

most are fit for scrap the suite is now 10yrs old and has old tempus p3's with 130gb hard drives and 512mb of ram as a base spec

Teacher laptops are old Toshiba A300's 90% of our stuff is XP based, Servers are 2003

Surviving on kind donations, good luck and good will at the moment

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ridpool_John View Post
    420 Pupils
    76 Staff

So mine works out at less than £1.81 per person

Welcome to Primary education folks :-S !!!!!!!!
    1 member of staff per 5.5 pupils. Is that fairly typical of Primary schools or is that why you have no money left for IT?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Shockingly bad! P3's I feel your pain!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    1 member of staff per 5.5 pupils. Is that fairly typical of Primary schools or is that why you have no money left for IT?
    You may find many are part time. We have about 550 pupils and we have 96. Bear in mind that only about 24 of these are full time teachers, we have a few part time teachers, lots of LSAs and 8 admin staff, 2 IT support, 1 site manager, and several SMT people, plus the head. Add in cleaners and you're done.

So 76 staff for 420 pupils, especially in a primary school, is not that outrageous.

P3s!! WHAT?! I've not had a P3 since 2003! Ouch. Yes primary schools have less money but not *that* little. Where's it going?
    Last edited by localzuk; 5th March 2013 at 10:11 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Yes primary schools have less money but not *that* little. Where's it going?
    ...If you had it in the first place? lol

Thank Post
    most are fit for scrap the suite is now 10yrs old and has old tempus p3's with 130gb hard drives and 512mb of ram as a base spec

Teacher laptops are old Toshiba A300's 90% of our stuff is XP based, Servers are 2003
    130GB!!! You don't know how lucky you are . Admittedly, the staff laptops are pretty new at that site. (Though I still have A300s in day-to-day use at another).

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    In addition to @localzuk's calculations, some of the staff may also be "minder's". Some of my schools have T.A.s whose sole job seems to be to look after one child. A couple of them are wheelchair-bound, but most of them are just little s... erm, "challenging".
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 5th March 2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    we've got no budget at the moment but should have a grant for the suite in December but so far we've cut back on everything
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    I'd love to be given a budget! Everything has to be begged for unless it's something SMT want (e.g. personal iPads) - in which case there seems to be a huge fund available.
    To me this is a failure of Governance. Our Governors demand regular updates from me and the ICT coordinator - from me they want to know what I've bought and why and what my plans are for the future. Not because there's lots of money, but they are responsible for making sure that the school can deliver what is required of it in curriculum terms. They tie my reports in with what the ICT coordinator says about what has been taught and the attainment - she has to show that what she has spent delivers the results she said it would. It's not unique to ICT - all of the subject coordinators have budget responsiblity and have to report a breakdown of what they spent last year and what they intend to spend next year and then account for differences.

With 420 pupils, there must be 14 fte teachers - plenty to divvy out the responsiblity. I know their primary function is teaching, but there's more to the job nowadays.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post
    To me this is a failure of Governance. Our Governors demand regular updates from me and the ICT coordinator - from me they want to know what I've bought and why and what my plans are for the future. Not because there's lots of money, but they are responsible for making sure that the school can deliver what is required of it in curriculum terms. They tie my reports in with what the ICT coordinator says about what has been taught and the attainment - she has to show that what she has spent delivers the results she said it would. It's not unique to ICT - all of the subject coordinators have budget responsiblity and have to report a breakdown of what they spent last year and what they intend to spend next year and then account for differences.
    I've never had to speak to/report to any of the governors. Mind you, my hours range from 5 to 16/week at the various sites. Pretty sure the ICT co-ordinators don't. either.

Thank Post
    roof, building work, and academy conversion...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jmak View Post

With 420 pupils, there must be 14 fte teachers - plenty to divvy out the responsiblity. I know their primary function is teaching, but there's more to the job nowadays.
    I agree with you as we currently have no formal governing body we are like a ship without a rudder (Academy conersion means our GB was disbanded in December 2012 and we've yet to be given a new one, although I've thrown my hat in to the ring to try and sort out the IT mess but we have other huge issues as well IT seems to have taken a back seat, which from experience is often the case in primary schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    roof, building work, and academy conversion...
    That explains a short term dip in funding, but having P3s indicates a longer term issue - which is a general issue with poor management IMO.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by techie08 View Post
    Do most of you guys have to take consumables, cables etc out of your budegts or are your figures purely capital such as PCs, servers etc?
    My figure covers everything. Absolutely everything, including a prudent level of contingency. If someone wants a new toy/ run a project, they can only get it if they have The Head's approval, my approval, and that there is sufficient pro-rata contingency accrued, our by bidding for it ahead of time during budget planning. Furthermore as funding to the school comes through in dribs and drabs, I don't start the year with a full allocation, only that which is absolutely critical to maintaining service.

Thank Post
    30 desktops in the suite
    5 in the office
    55 laptops
    4 Severs

Surviving on kind donations, good luck and good will at the moment
    Blimey that's really grim. We give better stuff than that away :-/

Does anyone actually use the equipment?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123