+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Website: self hosting.. what do you use? in Technical; I used Joomla and Sharepoint (loved the LDAP integration) then the website was outsourced offsite for a few years. I'm ...
    Thank Post

I used Joomla and Sharepoint (loved the LDAP integration) then the website was outsourced offsite for a few years. I'm looking to bring that back in house and would like to know what you guys use for your in house website server?

Thank Post
    ispconfig on ubuntu

Rob

Thank Post
    I use IIS on Server 2008R2 for everything now, PHP, MYSQL etc but I have used XAMPP | Free Development software downloads at SourceForge.net and it runs on most other OS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Danp View Post
    I use IIS on Server 2008R2 for everything now, PHP, MYSQL etc but I have used XAMPP | Free Development software downloads at SourceForge.net and it runs on most other OS
    Christ no...

I would never ever ever ever use a front facing IIS server given a choice!

We use an ubuntu headless server running the Apache server with PHP5 and MySQL. Job done.

On that we host our WP install.

I've also got a little 1U unit running the same sort of setup, Ubuntu server headless, Apache, PHP5, SQL, Webmin (Web based management of updates, Samba shares, configs etc...) and some experimental stuff we were playing with like Ruby.

Linux is the only way to host a website... There's a reason that even Microsoft use Apache servers on some of their sites....

Thank Post
    IIS 7.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2

Make sure, if you can, to use https for all comms traffic, stops some of the nasty stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    IIS 7.5 on Windows Server 2008 R2

Make sure, if you can, to use https for all comms traffic, stops some of the nasty stuff.
    Out of interest... Why do you use IIS?!

Thank Post
    Home Access Plus+, RD Gateway, SSTP VPN, Exchange Email. I'm a .net programmer so IIS allows me to program in asp.net. IIS 7.5 is more secure that apache in it's default settings. Most sites that have been 'hacked' in recent years have been running apache, not IIS.

Thank Post
    Home Access Plus+, RD Gateway, SSTP VPN, Exchange Email. I'm a .net programmer so IIS allows me to program in asp.net. IIS 7.5 is more secure that apache in it's default settings. Most sites that have been 'hacked' in recent years have been running apache, not IIS.
    Ooooooo IIS more secure than Apache... Just as well that you're in Wales and I cycle to work

In fairness, using IIS if you're using ASP makes sense, using a windows server and then running WAMP is just... (IMHO) stupid.

We run RDWeb and Exchange web access but they both have their own servers which publish their front own IIS front ends via TMG (And for security the TMG connection is further port forwarded through our smoothwall box)

With regards to the secutiy between Apache and IIS I would strongly disagree based purely on the track record of Microsoft, but that's an entirely different thread!

Thank Post
    Used to use IIS 7 with PHP, MYSQL

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not strictly true - it all depends on how you define more secure. IIS has about 16% of the market, compared to Apache which has 58%. So of course it gets more attacks. Not to mention, the attack vectors are nearly always due to the hosted software - wordpress, joomla etc...

A study by SANS showed that attack attempts on their Apache honeypot were fewer in number than those on IIS - ie. it was more popular to try and compromise an IIS server than Apache. Which is interesting considering the lower market share that IIS holds.

http://www.sans.org/reading_room/whi...-servers_33734

We use whatever the best tool for the job is. Our website itself was hosted on Apache until recently when we shifted it to our Frog server (which I believe is also apache). We run RD Web/RD Gateway which are IIS, and I also run an intranet page which uses IIS so as to have easy single sign on.

I'm designing some software at the moment using PHP CodeIgniter, and that is going on Apache.

So, the right tool for the job.
    Last edited by localzuk; 27th February 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowx View Post
    Christ no...

I would never ever ever ever use a front facing IIS server given a choice!

We use an ubuntu headless server running the Apache server with PHP5 and MySQL. Job done.

On that we host our WP install.

I've also got a little 1U unit running the same sort of setup, Ubuntu server headless, Apache, PHP5, SQL, Webmin (Web based management of updates, Samba shares, configs etc...) and some experimental stuff we were playing with like Ruby.

Linux is the only way to host a website... There's a reason that even Microsoft use Apache servers on some of their sites....
    In school's I would say this is the best option, it's the most common.

Personally, I have a linux based webserver that I use for my own site

Thank Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

Thank Post
    Bit late to the reply party but...

We use IIS8 on Windows Server 2012. Mainly because we are C#.NET developers and its easier to program account management pages etc. We do host some of our pages on Frog and just iframe (yuck) them.

I also find it a lot easier to host multiple domains via IIS.

With regards to Apache security I say each to their own. I would never run Apache on Windows as it is no-where near as secure as IIS in that instance. At last count Apache had more security advisories than both IIS 7.5 and 8 and several of the Apache ones were rated as critical.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread