+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, QNAP/Synology direct attached backup in Technical; Hi all, I'm thinking of using something like the 8 bay Synology DS1812 to connect directly via gig nic to ...
    Thank Post

QNAP/Synology direct attached backup

Hi all, I'm thinking of using something like the 8 bay Synology DS1812 to connect directly via gig nic to my DPM server via iSCSI to give my DPM server more space. Seems a cheaper alternative than something like a direct attached storage from someone like HP or Dell.
    Does anyone have any experience of doing something similar? If so has it worked out OK? Or are there any caveats to this kind of setup that I hadn't thought about?
    Any thoughts or comments greatly appreciated.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paid_Peanuts View Post
    Hi all, I'm thinking of using something like the 8 bay Synology DS1812 to connect directly via gig nic to my DPM server via iSCSI to give my DPM server more space.
    Could you not just plug in a disk array that connected via eSATA? You would probably have to put a controller card in your server, but that should be easy enough. If it's any help, I'm just sorting out something similar for my home system this evening - a SiI3132 controller attached via eSATA to a Scan ST-126RM port multiplier (see Lycom ST-126RM SATA II 3Gbps 1-To-5 Port Multiplier bridge board (for Rack Mount) - Scan.co.uk). SATA II has 3 times the bandwidth of a single gigabit connection, and there might be a SATA III version around now.

Thank Post
    Thanks dhicks for the suggestion. I hadn't thought about esata connection, I did want to make it a little less home made though. I didn't want to cobble something together as its going to be connected to DPM - not the only backup but it'll need to be robust and reliable.
    Having put some more thought into your answer I could get a smaller 5 or 6 bay device from QNAP or Synology and connect it via the external esata connection.

Thank Post
    I'm thinking about doing the same but locating a QNAP in a different building in case of fire in the main building. Would the QNAP be able to be used for short term and long term backup?

Thank Post
    Im using Yosemite for my machine backups to QNAP NAS via iSCSI, i also do tape backups so these can be taken off site. I have restored a VM from the QNAP and was quick and went with out a hitch. My current back up plan is backup all VM VHDs every weekend starting saturday am to the QNAP, and do an incremental data backup to tape each night and a full data back up on Friday Night. Every half term i do VM machine backup to tape and data backup to tape to give me greater flexibility.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Paid_Peanuts View Post
    I hadn't thought about esata connection, I did want to make it a little less home made though.
    I'd assumed you could get ready-made "enterprise" eSATA DAS boxes via a quick Google search, although actually trying that doesn't seem to bring up much - does no-one make simple, rack-mounted storage expansion boxes these days?

Having put some more thought into your answer I could get a smaller 5 or 6 bay device from QNAP or Synology and connect it via the external esata connection.
    No, if I understand correctly those eSATA connectors work the other way around - they are for connecting eSATA expansion boxes to, they don't act as SATA devices themselves.

Thank Post
    We have a Qnap TS-1079 Pro onsite here filled with cheap 2tb Sata 3 HD's. it's never missed a beat. We had it connected by iScsi to DPM server and it worked well but we moved to veeam now and it's even faster. Got duel gig nics as well for double the speed and failover, nice bit of kit.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrowlands View Post
    We have a Qnap TS-1079 Pro onsite here filled with cheap 2tb Sata 3 HD's. it's never missed a beat. We had it connected by iScsi to DPM server and it worked well but we moved to veeam now and it's even faster. Got duel gig nics as well for double the speed and failover, nice bit of kit.
    Same idea here Chris, we stuck a QNAP TS-1279U-RP (the BIG end of the QNAP range) in our DR site during the summer just gone, we have both its NIC's in a LACP trunk to the SAN switches and we filled it to 24TB.

DMP 2012 on a PoweEdge connected both to the SAN and the LAN, so far it's been excellent.

We've used EMC iSCSI vaults in the past, we are still using Dell PowerVaults in our main campus server estate and I can honestly say that the TS-1279's are feature packed, reasonably priced and good quality hardware.

I have my sights on two more in the next two years, one for each server room on our campus, all purely used for DMP backup volumes over iSCSI.
    Last edited by Zimmer; 20th February 2013 at 12:13 AM.

Thank Post
    So if i buy a QNAP which would be stored in a different building do I need to purchase an iSCSI adaptor for the DPM server? Im unsure and assumed I could use the existing network adaptors in the server over IP?

QNAP im considering is something like Qnap Ts-569 Pro 20TB 5 Bay NAS | Ebuyer.com

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    So if i buy a QNAP which would be stored in a different building do I need to purchase an iSCSI adaptor for the DPM server? Im unsure and assumed I could use the existing network adaptors in the server over IP?

QNAP im considering is something like Qnap Ts-569 Pro 20TB 5 Bay NAS | Ebuyer.com
    No iSCSI works over the network on existing network adapters. You just use the iSCSI initiator which is built into Windows. Just make sure for maximum speed between the server and the NAS which is going to include switches that you set up jumbo frames for those ports. There is a lot of information in the manuals though about this.

11. Thanks to lmgtfy from:

timzim (11th March 2013)

Thank Post
    In DPM does the QNAP get configured as Local Storage or tape and also can it be used for short term or long term backup or both?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread