+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, MIT App Inventor Without Google account in Technical; I've been asked to sort out App inventor for our ict teachers as they want to start using it from ...
    Thank Post

MIT App Inventor Without Google account

I've been asked to sort out App inventor for our ict teachers as they want to start using it from years 7 through to 11. The only issue I can see is that it requires a google account for each user and in order to create them you have to be 13 or older. Obviously this won't work for our year 7 & 8 pupils as they are under 13.

I was wondering how other schools have got round this. I have seen google apps for education, which would allow me to create google accounts for the pupils, but as we currently use office 365 for email, they would have to use a different username and password, and they have enough trouble remembering their current one, so a second would be a nightmare.

Any body out there got any ideas?

Thank Post
    We have discovered the same and I don't particularly fancy creating loads of accounts myself. Has anyone else managed to find a solution or a different workable app inventor?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Google apps accounts are free and you just use your Active Directory accounts once you've synced the accounts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Google apps accounts are free and you just use your Active Directory accounts once you've synced the accounts.
    Which is fine unless you already use another provider such as MS and Office 365 and sync your accounts with that.

Is it possible to sign up with google and sync accounts but not create a mailbox?

Ben

Thank Post
    I am in the process of Setting up out school with Google Apps and it is possible to setup Google accounts for users but continue to use O365 for email as that is what we curerently do. I think it is a DomainDNS setting which determines which server the mail is forwarded to.

We currently use RM Unify here to access O365 email and other applications we use. As of last month RMUnify does officially support Google Apps also but they have not been able to confirm the setup procedure to me yet or confirm that it is working for users to be able to sign into Chromebooks using their RM Unify credentials despite me constantly pushing for this.

If this can be made to work and pupils and staff can sign into email, the school network and Google Apps all with the same credentials and have accounts provisioned automatically this will be a huge bonus to us here...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Do you have, or are there instructions for that? Does this also year 7 students access as they are under 13 years old. I didn't see any details..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Do you have, or are there instructions for that? Does this also year 7 students access as they are under 13 years old. I didn't see any details..
    You only need students to be over 13 for the G+ accounts. You can turn off G+ in the settings.
    This is the Active Directory Sync: https://support.google.com/a/answer/106368?hl=en
    This is for signing up: https://www.google.com/a/signup/?ent...ge-canvas-en#0

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread