+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
How do you do....it? Thread, Problems Ghosting Dell Optiplex 745 in Technical; Dave, Where you able to solve this problem? I have recently started to image Dell PC's here at work and ...

Thank Post

Re: Problems Ghosting Dell Optiplex 745

Dave,

Where you able to solve this problem? I have recently started to image Dell PC's here at work and run into one problem... The key... Do you know how Dell manages to have the serial key automatically entered during the installation of windows XP. Currently you have to activate windows. It's not a big deal until a PC has been imaged around 3 times, then you cant activate and that serial is useless. Sorry to say... we don't have a volume license key, we order our Dells with XP pre installed. We are using sysprep 2.0, for XP and Norton Ghost enterprise 11.0. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannm
    Dave,

Where you able to solve this problem? .... we don't have a volume license key, we order our Dells with XP pre installed. We are using sysprep 2.0, for XP and Norton Ghost enterprise 11.0. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi Hoffman,

No I have declared a truce on this issue and I am going to start creating a brand new image tomorrow. We use Sysprep 2.0, but our Ghost technology is version 7.5. We do not use the Ghost console, but rather Ghostcast Server. We have a volume licence agreement so the licence key coded for by Sysprep is always the same.

I am sorry, but that appears to be no help to you. I think that one way you could address your Ghost session problems would be to code in your licence keys into your unattended answer files: that is to say to tailor them to each station as you ghost them. It sounds like a bit of a mission to me but it might work.

Thank Post

Don't know if this helps but when we imaged 20 Dell Optiplex 745s evey single one blue screened on us. We found that changing the SATA operation mode to Legacy in the BIOS fixed the problem.

Worth a try if you haven't already changed it

Thank Post

Thanks for the response guys... I appreciate your advice.

If you have installed windows XP onto a Dell machine using their installer CD, you never have to put the key in. Somehow it pulls the key from each machine...i think. Dors anyone know a way to replicate that or know where the code is to cause that to happen?

I thought when running sysprep, if you copy the "i386" folder from the CD that all that coding would be pulled over. Sadly enough it was not.

Unfortunately we do not currently purchase a VL key windows XP. So ordering machines with XP preinstalled is that way to go. Do anyone have any other suggestions how i should ghost these machines? I am trying to avoid inserting their key in for every machine by hand. [plus automation makes me look good... :-) ]

If anyone has other ideas...im up for anything.

I thank you all in advance for your assistance.

-Mike

Thank Post

The Dell XP CD's are slipstreamed, similar to a Sysprep'd image.

Making the correct modifications to the 'Sysprep.inf' answer file will allow this process to be automated in the final Sysprep'd image.

The following article may help you automate the process:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Good luck!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Hofmannm
    If you have installed windows XP onto a Dell machine using their installer CD, you never have to put the key in. Somehow it pulls the key from each machine...i think. Dors anyone know a way to replicate that or know where the code is to cause that to happen?
    The DELL provided installation CD contains a "pre-activated" OEM version of the operating system - this locks the installation to OEM-specified BIOS information in the PC. Similar installation CDs are provided by other major manufacturers such as IBM, Stone, HP etc.

Thus an image taken from one of the OEM pre-activated installations should theoretically work on other PCs from the same manufacturer (assuming the relevant bits in the BIOS match).

However, i believe that Volume Licensing is the only "officially supported" method for use when deploying via cloning - so don't call Microsoft for help if you use other methods

mb

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by adamf
    ...We found that changing the SATA operation mode to Legacy in the BIOS fixed the problem.

Worth a try if you haven't already changed it
    Just tried this and it didn't work. Back to the new image plan then.

aliv25

at hoffman, davep put up this thread

http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?nam...wtopic&t=11767

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123