+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Image deployment on RM CC4 in Technical; Not so much a "how do you do it" and more a "is this even possible" Is it possible to ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 1,315 Posts
    Blog Entries

Image deployment on RM CC4

Not so much a "how do you do it" and more a "is this even possible"

Is it possible to deploy images WITHOUT having to go through the RM carp on CC4? [full Windows 7 with server 2008R2]

The RM way takes about 2 - 3 hours. The standard windows way takes about 20 minutes [or so I've been told...]

I'd rather sort out desktop images with everything installed and apply those than doing it the RM way [OS image > RM gubbins > install everything > install some more stuff > have to log on to set the right WiFi encription > ??? > breaks]

Thank Post
    oh dear! Good luck with that

At some point we tried to do the same thing but it never worked. The closest we got was to get a CC4 PC already built with all the packages and such, remove it from domain, rebooted and the rest and then take an image from it using terabyte, then restore that image on another PC, change the comptuer name and run SmartClient from the restored PC...

We never got it working fully ;-)

3. Thanks to maestromasada from:

X-13 (25th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by maestromasada View Post
    oh dear! Good luck with that

At some point we tried to do the same thing but it never worked. The closest we got was to get a CC4 PC already built with all the packages and such, remove it from domain, rebooted and the rest and then take an image from it using terabyte, then restore that image on another PC, change the comptuer name and run SmartClient from the restored PC...

We never got it working fully ;-)
    Butts.

Why does RM always have to do things weird...

Thank Post
    I found the CC4 imaging slow and really annoying sorting out drivers (vista versions!!) and messing around regenerating the image. Also we found it would randomly fail on the PXE build (restart the server and it works fine - but cant do this in the middle of the day)

I've resorted now to a preconfigured vanilla image with all the updates, UAC & firewall disabled - chuck image on (about 10 mins) change name and smart client. Haven't run any proper times to test the speed but less faff and seems quicker to me!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CamelMan View Post
    I found the CC4 imaging slow and really annoying sorting out drivers (vista versions!!) and messing around regenerating the image. Also we found it would randomly fail on the PXE build (restart the server and it works fine - but cant do this in the middle of the day)

I've resorted now to a preconfigured vanilla image with all the updates, UAC & firewall disabled - chuck image on (about 10 mins) change name and smart client. Haven't run any proper times to test the speed but less faff and seems quicker to me!
    Ours either fails on "partitioning HDD" which means I need to use a different build disk image, or it fails during the package install which means the RM gubbins if broken again.

Thank Post
    On CC3 we used to a FOG server to roll windows xp out. The image was set at the smart client screen so we could just enter the details and it would install the RM software. Saved a bit time but not loads.

Thank Post
    We use acronis true image boot disk to FTP images to a large capacity NAS drive. On CC3 we had an encrypted image of every staff laptop. Within mins it was re-imaged. We now have just a few images that we can rapidly swap between an AV PC, clean machine for package building and a test machine image built to main site to test newly created packages. Comes in very handy!

Since CC4 we never have bothered, just kick anything of for a rebuild that's needed.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread