+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, trying to pick some brains here... in Technical; ...hey ppl, we are looking to invest in some new laptops and just wondering which vendor(Dell, HP) and model laptops ...
    Thank Post

trying to pick some brains here...

...hey ppl, we are looking to invest in some new laptops and just wondering which vendor(Dell, HP) and model laptops you are using at your school. We are a Dell district and would like to stick with Dell but I've heard good things about HP and their ultra slim's with a 13.3" screen(I liked the Folio but they are discontinued ). Also I am looking to replace my current AV product. Would like to know what your are running for your district and some pro's and con's. I'm looking at Panda Security as one. Any help on this is appreciated.

-J

Thank Post
    We are currently buying the HP Probook range. The last batch we bought were the 4540s. We are running on small budget.

Thank Post
    hps are hit and miss 610 good 620 dreadful 630 ok

Thank Post
    I agree. that batch of laptop was not good. Keyboard and trackpad were cheap and awful. HP 620s wireless is shambolic

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    We've got 620s and I have never had a problem with them. Mostly buy Toshiba though
    ESET for AV - never had an issue with it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Heard similar hit and miss with HP models; but the Dells are supposed to be good. AV wise...using System Centre Endpoint, part of Microsoft System Configuration Manager. If you already have an existing volume licence agreement - then System Centre may be an option for you.

Thank Post
    I used to live and die by Dell, never had an issue with them, but the last batch of laptops I got were the HP Probook 4340s and OMG they are sooooo much better than the previous probook 4310s that we got under the BSF procurement, it is worth getting them in, as the Lenovo ThinkPads (the old IBM black ones) although expensive, are built like a nokia 3310 phone and just keep on going, i didn't go with them because of 2 reasons, 1 - they look ugly (trust me looks are important) and 2- they had the annoying textured track pads.

I would say get the companies out, and always go for quotes, as prices dramatically drop when you do

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    We've got 620s and I have never had a problem with them. Mostly buy Toshiba though
    ESET for AV - never had an issue with it
    you mean the unbranded ones that if you catch the wireless switch wont come back on lol and the awful offset keyboard
    Quote Originally Posted by scholes99 View Post
    I agree. that batch of laptop was not good. Keyboard and trackpad were cheap and awful. HP 620s wireless is shambolic
    the c660 is dreadful lots seem to had battery issues from the box wont charge

rad
    Thank Post
    HP batches are dodgy, we gave a load to staff and they broke, similar ones for media are ok

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,682 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Tend to buy lenovo atm.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Tend to buy lenovo atm.

Ben
    We use all lenovo - can't fault them - although if you want the slightly posher Windows 8 ones (such as the flip, yogi etc) they are currently a nightmare to get hold of as they are selling quicker than they can be shipped into the country!!

Thank Post
    Toshiba are utter junk!! they might come with a cheaper/longer warranty than most but you will use it.

Things i would look for or want would be

Intel cpu (personal choice but are usually a little bit more battery friendly)
    4GB ram minimum
    Intel or boardcom networking (wired & wireless),
    3 or more usb ports
    Intel gpu if your apps don't need anything really powerful (why pay for an extra gpu when one comes with the cpu)

NO physical wireless switch (the amount of staff that catch it and don't realise)
    Biggest capacity battery that fits in the standard bay (ie no bits sticking out from the rear or underside of the laptop)
    Build quality
    Readily available drivers

At the end of the day you get what you pay for and if it was my money i would stick with DELL or HP.
    Most people will be able to send you a test until so find a few models you like and then decide at the end of the test

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    Must have been lucky with my HPs then. And my Toshibas - two sets here and never had any significant problems with them in 2 years.
    I do buy second hand Lenovo T60s as well as they are built like bricks and rarely have issues other than battery/charger

Thank Post
    If you are buying in any quantity then you'll be surprised how much the Dell prices drop when you accidentally mention that you're getting quotes from HP and Lenovo as well.
    All manufacturers make the odd duff model, the difference is how they deal with them and that is generally where I've found Dell to be brilliant on their support as they will deal with it properly and with much less hassle.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread