+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Physical asset tracking - does anyone use/know of a system which shows locations? in Technical; We have recently had a couple of digital cameras 'go missing' and a laptop which has disappeared! I cannot say ...
    Thank Post

Question Physical asset tracking - does anyone use/know of a system which shows locations?

We have recently had a couple of digital cameras 'go missing' and a laptop which has disappeared! I cannot say they have been stolen, but they are currently not where they should be and cannot be located....!

I wondered if anyone uses or is aware of a GPS or RFID system which could be used to physically track assets such as cameras, laptops, netbooks etc? A bit like the 'Find my iPhone' facility, but for non-Apple equipment.

A small tag or adhesive patch could be attached to the hardware item and tracked on a computer/handheld device?

Any ideas/advice appreciated.

Andrew

Thank Post
    I know that you can do RFID tracking with a Ruckus wireless network... you need pretty impressive AP density though for it to be accurate.

3. Thanks to pantscat from:

adhutton (17th January 2013)

Thank Post
    For mobile devices try Absolute Software | Absolute Computrace

We had Dell Laptops with Computrace on them at my last place but never had one stolen so didnt find out how good the system was.
    Might prove too expensive for digital cameras.

edit : They offer some compo if the equipment gets stolen and not recovered.
    Last edited by fiza; 16th January 2013 at 03:10 PM.

5. Thanks to fiza from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    I know that you can do RFID tracking with a Ruckus wireless network... you need pretty impressive AP density though for it to be accurate.
    Any more details? Is that actually with RFID tags of some sort, or does the Ruckus network triangulate the position of active wireless devices (so if someone turns the device off it stops being tracked)?

7. Thanks to dhicks from:

Thank Post
    I came across Prey when I was looking for something for our laptops. It'll only work on wifi enabled devices, so won't help with cameras. Also won't be great for finding something that's walked but is quite likely still in school, as I can't see how it would be specific to an AP. I did try it at home, and I did identify the approximate location of my laptop, but it's not as good as find my iPhone or where's my droid. Plus for school you'd have to pay...

Maybe we should all just get Macs, iPads and iPods why Buy from anyone else?

9. Thanks to jmak from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for everyone's ideas so far.

I was really looking for something which could be implemented quite cheaply, rather than an expensive corporate solution.

The 'missing' items involved are generally quite low value e.g. digital cameras worth under £75 each, but I am sure with a bit of effort could be located somewhere in school (drawers, cupboards etc.). We have lost a laptop which is a bit more of an issue, so a solution which could work with laptops as well might be good.

I did find a possible one - Loc8tor GPS Ortungsgeräte and their GPS product looks ideal, but I am told that the actual tracker part of the package is quite large and would be too big for attaching to a digital camera!

Will keep looking. Cheers.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,421 Posts

12. Thanks to plexer from:

Thank Post
    That looks good and would be ideal for our requirements if it provides coverage up to 0.5 miles, as it claims.

Only down side at the moment is that the product is not currently available.

Andrew

Thank Post
    Wow! - one of the coolest gadgets I've seen for years. From the list, I don't reckon any of my devices are Bluetooth 4 though - maybe an excuse for an upgrade

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread