+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, remote alert system in Technical; Greetings, Ive been asked to look into a system where i have some sort of bell/button on the office door ...

Thank Post

remote alert system

Greetings,

Ive been asked to look into a system where i have some sort of bell/button on the office door which when pushed will alert me wherever i am around the building.. Any of you guys have anything like this or could point me in the right direction?

Thanks
    James

Thank Post
    Be scared - they'll find you where ever you are!

But seriously, if you're around site, presumably it's because you're doing something. You won't want to go back to your office unless you know whether who or what is waiting there is more important than what you're already engaged in doing. Therefore you're going to need to speak to the person. Therefore a phone?

Thank Post
    not an anwser I know.... but I would fear this been abused by students!

Could always put a walkie talkie in a cage on the door and have two way communciation!

Thank Post
    Scenario: Bell gets buzzed your alerted your on the other side of the school. By the time you reach your office the person has left. You go back to the other side of the school you get buzzed again. Like it was mentioned above it could be open wide to abuse as well as maybe causing more issues than resolving.

I have a work mobile if my doors locked they go to the office and ask them to ring me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This idea makes little sense IMO. As north-ict mentions, it'll lead to issues. Instead, why not get them to use a helpdesk which will alert you to new tickets? You could combine it with a radio so you can be reached by your receptionist etc...

Thank Post
    Guess it depends how big your department is though, if there's a few of you (lets say 3+) and you're all out of the office, it's unlikely you'd want to be rang for a single password reset, as I'd assume there's something/lots broke for everyone to be out etc, but different for smaller teams.

Personally we have work mobiles that people can ring (generally only admin/SLT/premises etc), If it's teachers etc there is helpdesk/email which pings phone. The other option but seems slightly extreme is something like we have at our sports centre. Intercom on maindoor that rings wireless handset (Like cordless phone, but longer range), that you can do two way conversations through, however again student abuse... yep!

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanks for replying guys, i agree with you all, particularly the abuse by students.. Its because were are just two in a school of 900 students and 160 staff and the way things are at the moment there is a lot of time when we are out of the office and lots of students end up getting a closed door instead of help

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnsoncantell View Post
    Thanks for replying guys, i agree with you all, particularly the abuse by students.. Its because were are just two in a school of 900 students and 160 staff and the way things are at the moment there is a lot of time when we are out of the office and lots of students end up getting a closed door instead of help
    Out of curiosity, what kind of jobs are they reporting? As in if your students currently tell you something is out of ink, can't you get that changed so teachers report it either via email/helpdesk etc. Just removing the need for a lot of student visits etc. Obviously can't with everything, but yeah

Steve

Thank Post
    We have a spiceworks system for staff, its mainly the students having issues in lessons like logging on and running out of quotas. There are only two of us now and its difficult keeping one person on the front desk all the day.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jjohnsoncantell View Post
    We have a spiceworks system for staff, its mainly the students having issues in lessons like logging on and running out of quotas. There are only two of us now and its difficult keeping one person on the front desk all the day.
    Spiceworks has an app for Android and iPhones. If you can get staff to log calls and you will be able to check them on such a device wherever you are.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread