+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, New Exchange Server in Technical; Ive been given the task of moving our current email solution away from our LA and bringing it in house. ...

Thank Post

Question New Exchange Server

Ive been given the task of moving our current email solution away from our LA and bringing it in house.

Our LA using Exchange 2007, so my thinking is to install Server 2008, Exchange 2010 and then migrate/import mail/mailboxes into the new Exchange setup.

My thinking was to buy as decent server and then use Hyper-V to run two VMs to allow for the roles to be separated. CAS and HUB, etc on one VM and Mailboxes on the other VM

Has anyone configured an Exchange server in this way and if so let me know if my current thinking is on the right lines etc.

Thanks
    Mark

Thank Post
    I would look at Google apps or Office 365 - both free and saves hassle and cost of running your own exchange server. Went from Exchange server 2003 to Google apps here with no problems - Google support is very good and you can still use Outlook if you want with sync tool.

Thank Post
    We looked at Google apps, but our LA and Senior Leadership team has reservations about possible Data protection issues.

Thank Post
    Our Exchange has Mailbox and Hub Transport on one VM and CAS on the other (on a XenServer Host), I don't think you can have Mailbox without some sort of transport.

We also have BES and our mail relay on the same XenServer host using a virtual network switch for interserver traffic between the Mailbox server and relay.

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mdrabble View Post
    We looked at Google apps, but our LA and Senior Leadership team has reservations about possible Data protection issues.
    There should be no data protection issues with Google Apps/Office 365. If anything it is probably more secure then on-site.

TBH if you are not planning to use DAG to replicate the Mailbox servers I would just have 2 servers with all the roles and just split users across them both.

I would then on each users machine who need to export data (Make the kids do it themselves ) to a pst file and then you can import them directly from powershell into MS Exchange 2010
    Last edited by glennda; 14th January 2013 at 10:05 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread