+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, TV General Info Displays in Technical; Okay, so last term I was informed that the school was purchasing a TV to be positioned in the entrance ...

Thank Post

TV General Info Displays

Okay, so last term I was informed that the school was purchasing a TV to be positioned in the entrance hall that would show the timetable, messages from teachers, photographs, etc. I ended up hacking together a locked down computer running Apache & PHP, along with a website that would load full screen in Firefox upon booting. I opted for a local website, as we're a rural school with abysmal internet speeds, and didn't want the photos to be an issue, as well as for privacy reasons, however, the teachers can enter messages from the web, and these are pulled to the site. I'll spare any more specifics, unless asked.

Basically, the computer powers on, the website loads full screen and displays a .png of the timetable (for the day in question) every three images as a full screen slideshow. Teacher messages are pulled from a database on the web and showed along the bottom, sliding in as the images transition.

There are definitely a few problems that I'll need to find workarounds for, but for the most part it's stable and working, if imperfect and unfinished.

But I was wondering: How do you guys do it?
    Last edited by Driftingashore; 10th January 2013 at 11:51 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,211 Times in 761 Posts
    This is pretty much how we do it as well. We also use ShowPoint to display an automatic PowerPoint on one of them. There are plenty of expensive systems that can centrally manage these sorts of things, and also the open-source Xibo which people rave about on here but seemed awful and bug-ridden when I tried it.

We also use AutoHideMouseCursor to make the mouse pointer invisible on the machines running IE full screen.

Thank Post
    Xibo. (Well, when I have time to finish that project!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fairly similar here but we use XibiDisplay to control the content:

http://xibo.org.uk/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    We also use AutoHideMouseCursor to make the mouse pointer invisible on the machines running IE full screen.
    Transparent Screen Lock Pro gives a huge amount of configuration options (including cursor hiding), as well as further protection from malevolent kids inserting a keyboard (maybe I'm getting paranoid in my old age) with a password lock, as the box isn't able to be put in an inaccessible area. The only reason I didn't go with it is that I like free (as in beer) a little too much. I still think it's worth it, and may get around to purchasing eventually. In the meantime, thanks for the link!

Lots of Xibo users.. maybe I should give it a try, but at least on Youtube, it looks a lot more complex to administer than my current solution.

Thank Post
    +1 for Xibo.

Thank Post
    Another vote for Xibo. We wanted to move from each department using their own powerpoint in various points on site into a centalised system. However, I would say after spending months collating all the existing information and updating it into something a little more professional the system has never been touched since I provided training into how to use it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold View Post
    However, I would say after spending months collating all the existing information and updating it into something a little more professional the system has never been touched since I provided training into how to use it.
    Heh, after being asked to add the "post messages" functionality, I implemented it and it was used for a week, but after the novelty wore off nobody has posted anything, and the only changes that have been made have been made by me. Somehow I knew this was how it would end up..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Xibo. (Well, when I have time to finish that project!)
    can xibo server be installed onto a standard pc to act as a server or does it need to be installed on an actual server?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Any PC can be used. It installs on top of WAMPServer or XAMPP:

WampServer, the web development platform on Windows - Apache, MySQL, PHP
    apache friends - xampp

We're using a WinXP Virtual Machine and WAMPServer for the central server and then a old netbook on each TV for the client.

Thank Post
    +1 for xibo running on linux VM pushing content out to several large plasma's around the school and then our canteen use to publish their daily menus (took about 10 mins to train them the basic login, upload and away they went). Most of the screens are running use micro format HP's either tucked in the roof or behind the screen on the mount.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Xibo, the new version is super stable and great new features. Managing 3 screens here with it

Thank Post
    I'm looking into Xibo for a couple of screens that might be going into our new kitchen area. What kind of pc are you using at the screen though? It would need to be something very small, i was thinking eeebox but even then they are a few hundred pounds.

Thank Post
    we use these

15. Thanks to mdench from:

dave.81 (21st January 2013)

Thank Post

TV General Info Displays

Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    I'm looking into Xibo for a couple of screens that might be going into our new kitchen area. What kind of pc are you using at the screen though? It would need to be something very small, i was thinking eeebox but even then they are a few hundred pounds.
    Either thin clients (if you have RDP Setup), ultra small form factor, the new net tops that are popping up or just an old computer laying about!

17. Thanks to TomCollins from:

dave.81 (21st January 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast