+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Asterisk/FreePBX + Multiple Pin Sets to Restrict International Dialing in Technical; Hi all, I have a bit of a weird setup and I was wondering if you guys could help me ...
    Thank Post

Asterisk/FreePBX + Multiple Pin Sets to Restrict International Dialing

Hi all,

I have a bit of a weird setup and I was wondering if you guys could help me out or make a suggestion as to the best way to solve it.

We have 60 phones throughout our campus, 50 are in offices (secure'ish) and 10 are in public areas (Staffrooms & boardrooms).

We've had some problems recently with staff using some of the phones in the public areas to make a lot of personal calls and we have decided to implement Pin Sets which allows us to better track who's actually making the calls.

At the time, we also want to restrict who can make international calls.

I've created 2 pin sets: "Local" and "International" and I've also created 2 outbound routes which uses dial patters to determine if the call is an international call (the it requires the "International" pin set, and if it's local, then it requires the "Local" pin set).

Seems simple enough, however, all of those with phones in their offices are now required to enter a pin whenever they want to phone.
    So I have allowed pinless dialing on their extensions but now the "International" pin sets are ignored. Obviously we are able to see if one of these extensions has dialed an international number, but only after is has happened.

Can anybody suggest a better way of setting this up?

Thanks!

Thank Post
    We arn't using asterisk at the moment, but have had similar problems in the past. Our solution was to block certain expensive calls from all handsets apart from reception. If staff want to call some numbers, they call reception and ask to be forwarded on to the number. That way a human is involved in the decision process. Don't know if that would work for you or how to implement it in asterisk.

3. Thanks to Chris_Cook from:

Nick_Parker (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    I was going to recommend what Chris has put above, forward all calls through a reception/switchboard and then a note of the call and from what extension and who can be logged in a file or something.

5. Thanks to MatthewL from:

Nick_Parker (4th December 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks guys, that's not a bad suggestion, I will ask upstairs and see what management thinks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread