+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Create Popup every time internet is clicked for pupils? in Technical; Have been asked to find out if this is possible? HT wants A popup with some basic rules for pupils ...
    Thank Post

Create Popup every time internet is clicked for pupils?

Have been asked to find out if this is possible? HT wants A popup with some basic rules for pupils every time the internet is opened.

Any ideas how to implement this? Positives/Negatives of doing it?

I have my own opinions on it but will keep them to myself for the time being. Cheers

Thank Post
    Host the page on an internal website and set it as the homepage is probably your best bet.

3. Thanks to ChrisMiles from:

titch (22nd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    Your proxy server might have something like this built in.

Positives: No long term benefit that I can think of. Pupils will just click OK without reading after the first few times (if they even read it the first time), just like everything else.

Negatives: Might interfere with programs that need Internet access for some functionality.

5. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Create basic VBScript with Rules, then Do you accept? Yes (yes launches IE) (No exits) just change the IE shortcut to point to the VBScript? Just a quick idea.

7. Thanks to mmoseley from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by titch View Post
    Have been asked to find out if this is possible? HT wants A popup with some basic rules for pupils every time the internet is opened.
    Any ideas how to implement this? Positives/Negatives of doing it?
    What does the HT hope to achieve by this? Other than ensuring your tires get let down on the last day of summer term, I mean.

It's largely pointless and will have the same utility as a clickwrap license - it's not binding and the message is diluted by spamming it up so often that the kids ignore it.

Perhaps suggest it pops up for the first couple of days of each term as a reminder. And also if the rules change.

9. Thanks to pete from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah or set a logon notice when they press CTRL+ALT+DEL and they have to press OK to logon, serves same purpose, just put your rules in there.

11. Thanks to mmoseley from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMiles View Post
    Host the page on an internal website and set it as the homepage is probably your best bet.
    Think I like this idea best. Maybe set this as a second home page?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    Your proxy server might have something like this built in.

Positives: No long term benefit that I can think of. Pupils will just click OK without reading after the first few times (if they even read it the first time), just like everything else.

Negatives: Might interfere with programs that need Internet access for some functionality.
    I dont fancy messing with any functionality. Also proxy is served from county with us.

Quote Originally Posted by mmoseley View Post
    Create basic VBScript with Rules, then Do you accept? Yes (yes launches IE) (No exits) just change the IE shortcut to point to the VBScript? Just a quick idea.
    I might have a play around with this actually. Any suggestions where to start?

Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    What does the HT hope to achieve by this? Other than ensuring your tires get let down on the last day of summer term, I mean.

It's largely pointless and will have the same utility as a clickwrap license - it's not binding and the message is diluted by spamming it up so often that the kids ignore it.

Perhaps suggest it pops up for the first couple of days of each term as a reminder. And also if the rules change.
    Yep I like the idea of having it available just for a few days each term. May suggest this. I know clicking a message isn't binding but its certainly something you can tell parents that said child had to agree to etc.

Yeah or set a logon notice when they press CTRL+ALT+DEL and they have to press OK to logon, serves same purpose, just put your rules in there.
    Ours is set up so they dont have to ctrl alt del I am afraid.

Cheers all for the replies. I'm still taking ideas.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive attached a very basic VB script to do what you want you'll just have to hide it on the C:\ drive and change the IE shortcut to that location. Keeping the IE logo will make it look better Enjoy!

VBScript.vbs
    Last edited by mmoseley; 22nd November 2012 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Re-jigged my wording!

14. Thanks to mmoseley from:

titch (23rd November 2012)

Thank Post
    Ive attached a very basic VB script to do what you want you'll just have to hide it on the C:\ drive and change the IE shortcut to that location. Keeping the IE logo will make it look better Enjoy!

VBScript.vbs
    Cheers Very much. Appreciate that. Will let you know how it goes.

Thank Post
    Any idea how I can stop the security warning popping up just for this script? Obviously don't want to turn it off completely. Cheers

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I didnt get a security warning when I ran the script, which one do you mean?

18. Thanks to mmoseley from:

titch (27th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Untitled.png Tried a couple of things but seems to think the file in insecure.Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Maybe just me but almost seems like this relates to AUP - surely the students / staff would have to sign an agreement form which has the AUP or main points of the AUP on the agreement form ?

Have the 2 different web pages on your intranet ( the main AUP which covers most if not all of the policy ) and then the 2nd page is just the main points ie if they are found to be browsing to non work related sites that they may be blocked from browsing the internet / Not intranet ? etc

21. Thanks to mac_shinobi from:

andyturpie (27th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Maybe just me but almost seems like this relates to AUP - surely the students / staff would have to sign an agreement form which has the AUP or main points of the AUP on the agreement form ?

Have the 2 different web pages on your intranet ( the main AUP which covers most if not all of the policy ) and then the 2nd page is just the main points ie if they are found to be browsing to non work related sites that they may be blocked from browsing the internet / Not intranet ? etc
    I concurr with this the AUP does cover it. We have our AUP pop up at every log in and staff and pupils have to accept or the system will log them back off again!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread