+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Recover data from apparently dead memory stick? in Technical; As per title, are there any companies or methods people know of recorvering data from memorysticks that appear dead. The ...

Thank Post

Recover data from apparently dead memory stick?

As per title, are there any companies or methods people know of recorvering data from memorysticks that appear dead. The memory stick has power to it, but is not appearing in windows, and we have examined it for physical damage which might be repairable with a drop of solder.

We all know the advise not to rely on them etc. but in this case we need to find any possible method of recovering the data for the user as it is some extreemly important data which has been lost.

Many thanks

Mike.
    Last edited by maniac; 14th November 2012 at 04:57 PM.

Thank Post
    they should of taken a backup! we cant stress this enough when they say it is extreamly important work, but have no backup option!

Thank Post
    I have done this sort of repair in house at my school. We have a pretty good soldering iron with a small tip. I don't know of any companies that do it, but there probably is one.

These people won't learn until they loose data and have to redo it. I always ask the owner first, but if it gets broken beyond repair then it helps re-enforce the lesson.

Thank Post
    Try looking at in *nix? May be a corrupt index...

Thank Post
    does the device show but say unformatted?

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,507 Posts
    Not used them but found:

Broken usb pen? SaveMyUSB.com - USB Flash memory pen drive recovery

Sounds like you may need a company who can read the flash chip directly or remove it and put it back on a working stick.

Ben

7. Thanks to plexer from:

maniac (14th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by twin--turbo View Post
    does the device show but say unformatted?

Rob
    Doesn't even show as connected to the PC, it appears totally 'dead' apart from the LED light on the memorystick. I think my boss has approached the savemyusb company plexer has mentioned as they are about the only people who crop up in a search. I'll feedback here if they are successful. And yes, we all know they should have taken a backup, and shouldn't rely on memorysticks as a means of storage, this is something we keep stressing time and time again. Normally I would be 'tough luck' but in this instance we have no choice but to try anything we can to recover the data.

We shall needless to say be re-issuing advice to staff and students not to rely on USB memory sticks, and to use the network storgae spaces provided for them, as these are safe and secure. I've always said to people to use memorysticks as a means of moving data from one place to another, and not as a form of working storage, however there are always some who just plain ignore the advice. We shouldn't even be using them in school anyway unless they're encrypted in my opinion, but that is another discussion altogether.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maniac View Post
    Doesn't even show as connected to the PC, it appears totally 'dead' apart from the LED light on the memorystick. I think my boss has approached the savemyusb company plexer has mentioned as they are about the only people who crop up in a search. I'll feedback here if they are successful. And yes, we all know they should have taken a backup, and shouldn't rely on memorysticks as a means of storage, this is something we keep stressing time and time again. Normally I would be 'tough luck' but in this instance we have no choice but to try anything we can to recover the data.

We shall needless to say be re-issuing advice to staff and students not to rely on USB memory sticks, and to use the network storgae spaces provided for them, as these are safe and secure. I've always said to people to use memorysticks as a means of moving data from one place to another, and not as a form of working storage, however there are always some who just plain ignore the advice. We shouldn't even be using them in school anyway unless they're encrypted in my opinion, but that is another discussion altogether.
    Try testdisk or photorec they will discover any old partition data and retrieve anything it can find. Takes ages though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Try testdisk or photorec they will discover any old partition data and retrieve anything it can find. Takes ages though
    I would have sugested

EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard - Recover deleted, lost or formatted files and more...

Which I have used to recover mem sticks,

But the fact it does not ask to format the drive suggests that the usb can't see the storage at all.

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    Agreed, testdisk and photorec are pretty good, recovered lots of data off many dead sticks.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread