+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Site Shutdown - Client or Server based? in Technical; Hey, Looking at redeveloping a new shutdown system for networks, and wanted to know if most people are currently doing ...

Thank Post

Site Shutdown - Client or Server based?

Hey,

Looking at redeveloping a new shutdown system for networks, and wanted to know if most people are currently doing there's from the server (pushing shutdowns out to clients, e.g. remote /m), or from client (local shutdowns, but pulling data back from server via GPO etc).

Thanks,
    Steve

2. Thanks to Steve21 from:

FN-GM (11th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Push, just as it is easier to script, I'd love it to log the machines left on and especially the users left logged on so that they can be 'gently' 'trained' to do it properly.

Local action from GPO would be more robust but would still be great to have the log-back function.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th November 2012 at 10:51 AM.

4. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Steve21 (11th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Push, just as it is easier to script, I'd love it to log the machines left on and especially the users left logged on so that they can be 'gently' 'trained' to do it properly.
    Aye, already planning to make it do a report between shutdowns (generally run shutdowns at 2-3 times a night, just incase people still working but guess that's a config option ). Like the idea of getting their names too! Hunt them down! (I mean educate them!)

Thanks,
    Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would rather it have something installed on the client and then controlled by GPO. Nothing pushed by the servers, the more clients you have it can slow it down.

It would be nice to have something for staff laptops. If they have been left on inside school to shut them down, but not if they are using them at home.

It would be be nice to give them a warning message and the option to abort. And if they abort keep asking them every hour or so.

7. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,666 Times in 2,263 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I would rather it have something installed on the client and then controlled by GPO. Nothing pushed by the servers, the more clients you have it can slow it down.

It would be nice to have something for staff laptops. If they have been left on inside school to shut them down, but not if they are using them at home.

It would be be nice to give them a warning message and the option to abort. And if they abort keep asking them every hour or so.
    You could do that by checking IP range, DNS domain of the interface, pull the wifi interface name and make sure the ip range is not on a VPN interface. So you'd need an extra three bits in the config for the checks and you could probably pull all the required info off WMI calls.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Currently using Shutdownertron on my Windows 7 workstations and laptops.

If what you develop addresses the known shortcomings in Shutdownertron I think many here would thank you.

11. Thanks to DaveP from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

If what you develop addresses the known shortcomings in Shutdownertron I think many here would thank you.
    I used to use it but it doesn't notify the users of a shutdown in our environment (Windows 7). I have gone back to using scripts.

13. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post

Looking at redeveloping a new shutdown system for networks
    *Please* add in an ssh/shutdown -h option for linux clients. I have 350+ of them and currently need to use a different method for shutting these down so anything that will work cross platform would be a huge bonus for me!

15. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post

Aye that's some cool ideas. Would you have it auto disable shutdown if it's locked pc etc? or force shutdown unless they abort?

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

Aye, One of the reasons I started looking at this Did try to contact original author but no replies at all over the last few months, so gave up trying hehe. Didn't want to "backwork" his code, so thought it'd be nicer just to rebuild and add new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    *Please* add in an ssh/shutdown -h option for linux clients. I have 350+ of them and currently need to use a different method for shutting these down so anything that will work cross platform would be a huge bonus for me!
    What linux are you running? Guessing it's mainly same shutdown commands, but thought I'd check I'm assuming you just use the whole "ssh user@MyPC sudo shutdown -h" etc with passwords etc etc? (Makes note to setup linux VM to test on too ) Also, Do you still do Windows server, or you running linux there too?

Thanks all,
    Steve
    Last edited by Steve21; 11th November 2012 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @Steve21 we would force shutdown unless they abort. That is what we do now, certain staff never log off so we would end up with machines never power cycling etc.

If you want any Beta testers give me a shout. I was one of the first to test Shutdownertron

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post

What linux are you running? Guessing it's mainly same shutdown commands, but thought I'd check I'm assuming you just use the whole "ssh user@MyPC sudo shutdown -h" etc with passwords etc etc? (Makes note to setup linux VM to test on too ) Also, Do you still do Windows server, or you running linux there too?
    Thinstation and Centos. The Centos ones aren't really a problem because they are managed by Spacewalk. Currently using passwordless ssh, so any ssh+shutdown command would work. We have a mix of Redhat/Centos linux and 2008R2 servers.

Thank Post
    batch file in computer startup script that creates scheduled task

20. Thanks to oxide54 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Used to use Fog's client which could schedule shutdown if a user hadn't been logged in for x period of time (you could also force).

You could probably get the source code to that and look at how that was achieved, i'm fairly sure it did something like check with server for login status (as it tracked that too) then shutdown if needed. I had it scheduled to run every 30 mins from 3:30 to 9pm and then if people worked late they were able to

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Used to use Fog's client which could schedule shutdown if a user hadn't been logged in for x period of time...
    On that note perhaps it could also include and options to:

• Lock the workstation/enforce screensaver set by this software
    • Hibernate/Sleep the workstation
    • Shut the station down

If there has been no activity from the keyboard/mouse after a given number of minutes [with a user logged on]

This comes as a feature with some software I am looking at deploying on the network next year but I do not have this ability at the moment.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread