+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Alternatives to Ranger Outpost in Technical; What are people using for their remote access? We currently use Ranger Outpost but it is due to expire again ...
    Thank Post

Alternatives to Ranger Outpost

What are people using for their remote access? We currently use Ranger Outpost but it is due to expire again - annoying because the product can then no longer be re-configured nor can the client application be installed. So I'm looking for a more cost effective and more configurable solution.

I like Ranger because you install it, set the groups and voila - the user has secure remote access to their personal drive. What I dont like about it is the lack of configurability and the fact it expires at the end of the contract.

I have been toying around with FTP - tried IIS 6 and AD isolation but couldnt get this to work. Downside - again not really configurable and isnt secure. I was also looking at globalscape FTP server - still waiting on some trial software but looks like it integrates with AD, points the user to their personal drive and you can buy the web client module add on, which lets the user manipulate their files using a java web applet. So no need for a client installation

So what does everyone else use?

Thank Post

Re: Alternatives to Ranger Outpost

We dont thank god

Thank Post

Re: Alternatives to Ranger Outpost

@TeddyKGB: You thought about WEBDAV? AFAIK this would give very similar functionality to Outpost. It probably isn't as fast but it is included with Windows Server.

Thank Post

Outpost Expiry Fix

Modify the built in expiry date by extracting the installation package to a temporary location and then modify the expiry date within the setupversioninfo.txt file.

First step is to extract the files.

* If you have Winzip installed, use the "Extract to" feature to extract the files to a temporary folder e.g. c:temp.
    * If you don't have an extraction program you can run the program to initiate the self-extracting package to decompress into your temporary folder; usually found in C:\Documents and Settings\Local Settings\Temp folder. After locating the extracted files copy the entire directory to another location and then cancel the installation wizard. NOTE: Its normally a good idea to clean up the local temporary folder of older files and folders before the extraction.

Within the temporary folder locate the setupversioninfo.txt file and using a text editor modify the appropriate package name expiry date to something 20years away!

i.e. FullExpiry20031231 (would be for Ranger for Network), SoloExpiry20031231 (would be for a Ranger Solo package).

Thank Post
    Get a proper Remote Access Server such as Array Networks. I looked at several supposed "Remote Access" solultion and in the end spent the money. If you want security you need to pay for it. Also Array just downloads a little Java app so there is minimal client config!

Thank Post
    Could always use a Terminal Server and Remote Desktop via a TS Gateway.

Or you could host the homedrive share on IIS and enable WEBDAV though Vistas WebDAV client is broken so it won't work correctly

Thank Post
    Windows 2008 includes TSWeb over SSL, so you get secure access without the large bill. Plus it's lot more features.

Windows FTP limited?!? Never! Might require a bit more though tho

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread