+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Time Lapse Photography in Technical; Okay, bit of a bizarre one here. We've got a new building going up over half term, being built off ...
    Thank Post

Time Lapse Photography

Okay, bit of a bizarre one here. We've got a new building going up over half term, being built off site and delivered flat-pack style and assembled in location. Someone (presumably someone who has seen Caversham Road timelapse - first edit.mov - YouTube) had the idea that it would be cool to set up a camera taking a photo every few minutes and then stitch it together into a 2-minute film.

Anyone have the first idea what we would need to do this, and how we go about it?!

Thank Post
    If you have a Canon camera you could try installing CHDK on the SD card as that enables time lapse photography. Suppose the main problem there would be battery power, so you would need a model that you could charge with an AC adapter or via USB

There is probably a far easier way!

Thank Post
    I did the same with our new school building here.

I used Yawcam with a laptop and a webcam. It was easy enough to set up and then you have all your images to create a timelapse.

James

Thank Post
    Old laptop, webcam (£20), tilaphos software (free, slightly strange interface, seems to be working ok).

Watching new classrooms being build as we speak. Only downside of the webcam approach is the poor picture quality. If you can go the canon / chdk route, do so - you'll get the high speed clouds effect, amongst other goodies.

Thank Post
    The easiest way is certainly by using a webcam, if you can spend a bit more on one then obviously you'd get a better end result, but the way I've done them in the past is to use my Canon 350D with a timer remote connected to it that took a shot every x seconds (settable, just can't remember what I set it to) then stitch them all together afterwards - I used QuickTime Pro to do it as you can specify frames per second etc. Worked out quite well actually the last one I did.

In fact .. this is it .. Time Lapse Harwes Farm - YouTube .. it's just of the cloud formations more than anything else, but I wanted to see how it worked out using the system above .. I plan to use the same setup for a few projects in the coming future ..

Thank Post
    We have a Canon 450D SLR and a laptop which I can sit by it for the duration, so it sounds like that is the way to go. What software have you used to control the timer, and how does the camera need to be connected to the laptop?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,459 Posts
    You have no webcams or similar? There are some pieces of s/w available to do what you you want with the canon what about when you need to change it's battery?

Ben

Thank Post
    We have got a webcam, but (like most webcams) it is designed to focus on something less than a metre away, not something on the other side of a small field. As for charging, I was assuming I could leave the camera plugged in to the mains the whole time.

Thank Post
    Hiya

Right, I think that the Canon Remote Software that comes with the 450D onwards will do remote operation and timer remote operation.

As for myself, I used on of these .. Timer Remote Control RS-60E3 For Canon 1000D 450D 500D: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo .. well, I say one of these, this is the same thing but with a different name - I got mine from 7DayShop but they don't seem to have the Canon ones on their site at the moment. I set it to take a single photo every 30 seconds and left it to it (changing the battery occasionally as I don't [yet] have a mains power cable). After that, I dropped them into Quicktime Pro using 25fps and the result (after I ran it through iMovie to add the music and titles) is what you see at the link I pasted above ..

The one thing I would point out (something I only realised on the night shots that would have been on the end of the shoot) is to lock the focus on manual - seems a simple thing, but in daylight, the camera is fine, when it get's lower light levels it can be a bit funny (or even focus on something totally random).

Edit:
    In terms of leaving it plugged in .. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0083VUV6G .. would do the trick for the 450D (if you don't have something like that already)
    Last edited by soveryapt; 15th October 2012 at 02:55 PM.

10. Thanks to soveryapt from:

enjay (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,705 Times in 1,997 Posts
    If you have a spare Android tablet or smartphone, all you would need is Chainfire's DSLR Controller app and a USB cable to create a time lapse via your EOS 450D.

Last edited by Arthur; 15th October 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Thank Post
    Hi,

We use a mobotix camera (cannot remember the model at present) mounted outsite, it uploads to an internal ftp site.

Phase 2 - East Block Demolition Central Hub - YouTube

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    So, I plug that straight into the camera, and don't need a laptop or anything, right?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    So, I plug that straight into the camera, and don't need a laptop or anything, right?
    Yup .. that's right .. captures everything to the card on board (so make sure you put a big card in and set the sizes to something more sensible than maximum resolution/RAW) and away you go ..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,631 Times in 1,459 Posts

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    In terms of leaving it plugged in .. PremiumDigital Canon EOS 450D Replacement AC Power: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics .. would do the trick for the 450D (if you don't have something like that already)
    So, that is something which allows me to plug the battery into the mains whilst still in the camera, yes?

This seems like exactly what I'm after - now I just need to find somewhere to put the camera!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast