+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Time Lapse Photography in Technical; Thanks for your advice @ soveryapt , I've bought those items so we'll see what happens. I'll post the film ...
    Thank Post
    Thanks for your advice @soveryapt, I've bought those items so we'll see what happens. I'll post the film when we have it...

2. Thanks to enjay from:

soveryapt (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Does it have to be time lapse? Why not just leave a video\web cam to record the whole assembly process then reduce the running time to a few minutes.

Thank Post
    Stick Magic Lantern on a 550d, plug the camera into the mains and make sure it doesn't get moved!

Alternatively get a Go Pro and plug that in to mains. These can be made weather proof too!

These will provide much better quality than a webcam and you can use manual settings and disable auto focus which will ruin a timelapse!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by detjo View Post
    Does it have to be time lapse? Why not just leave a video\web cam to record the whole assembly process then reduce the running time to a few minutes.
    Because I don't think our video camera can record several weeks of continuous footage...

Thank Post
    Then you won't get nice fluid movements like you would with stills taken with a longer shutter speed

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by enjay View Post
    Because I don't think our video camera can record several weeks of continuous footage...
    Aha! that'll be it then!

Quote Originally Posted by AV_IT_
    Then you won't get nice fluid movements like you would with stills taken with a longer shutter speed
    That makes no sense. How could you fail to get fluid movement when the video is capturing every frame?

Thank Post
    Obviously, this is going to require a silly amount of storage (I'm assuming I'll be able to swap memory cards out of the camera, so long as I don't do it whilst it is trying to take a photo). Is there a maximum size of card which I should consider for this? I remember a photographer friend of mine saying not to get really big cards because the access speed is too slow - is that still true, or can I just buy a couple of 64GB cards and run them on rotation?

Thank Post

That makes no sense. How could you fail to get fluid movement when the video is capturing every frame?
    Motion blur when using longer shutter speeds (perhaps helped with the use of an ND filter in daylight) makes the motion much more fluid and pleasant to watch rather than jerky/comical sped up video.

That's one of the joys of timelapse surely..

Thank Post
    Card speed shouldn't be an issue if your taking a pic every 30 seconds. The capacity of the card has nothing to do with the speed of it - i'd be more concerned with losing the data on a high capacity card if it failed (potentially, a lot of photos lost)

Thank Post
    Get a class 10 and you'll have no issues (except cost perhaps). Recording a building won't require a short interval and so therefore the camera will have plenty of time to write, esp if you record jpegs.

Thank Post
    Obviously, this is going to require a silly amount of storage (I'm assuming I'll be able to swap memory cards out of the camera, so long as I don't do it whilst it is trying to take a photo). Is there a maximum size of card which I should consider for this? I remember a photographer friend of mine saying not to get really big cards because the access speed is too slow - is that still true, or can I just buy a couple of 64GB cards and run them on rotation?
    Apparently, the maximum card size you can use with a 450D is 16GB. Now, that said, when I Googled the max for my 350D is was 4GB, but I have an 8GB card in there that works just fine (after trying a friends card to check if it worked before buying my own). I mean, it might not even be every 30 seconds you capture, it depends how long you want the end result to be, you might find that every minute is better if it's a 3 week project and you're just going to leave it running. Which, depending on the quality you wanted at the end of it all, you could run the camera at 2MP (ok, you probably want it better than this but it's an extreme example) and if you were to capture every single minute over the 3 weeks (30,240) then the 16GB card would do that at least 6 times over. (there's a table on this page .. Canon Eos-Digital-Rebel-Xsi-Slr Review: Controls, Storage, I/O, Power .. which is where I'm getting my workings from - helps you prepare).

13. Thanks to soveryapt from:

enjay (18th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,612 Times in 1,443 Posts
    Get an Ey-Fi card for it and then it can automatically upload the images to storage for you.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AV_IT_ View Post
    Recording a building won't require a short interval
    This particular building might, as it is being built off-site and delivered flat-pack, so will go up in a matter of days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AV_IT_ View Post
    Recording a building won't require a short interval
    This particular building might, as it is being built off-site and delivered flat-pack, so will go up in a matter of days.
    I would agree with this, you still need that short time frame as anything longer, you could miss a piece going into place. I've been talking with a contractor about time-lapsing the building of a wind turbine and it's a case of, the days leading up, you could easily get away with 30-60 second intervals, but once the turbine itself is on site and ready to be hoisted, you want to be looking at more 5 second intervals to get a realistic capture of it.

Looking forward to seeing the end result though!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Looking forward to seeing the end result though!
    The end result will be some way off, as apparently the final shots are to be of the children filing into the building, which they're not going to do until January, although I could possibly post the bit with the construction sooner than that...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast