+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, New staff ICT handbook - Any ideas in Technical; Hi all, I wanted to find out how you inform your new staff about how they should be using the ...
    has

Thank Post

New staff ICT handbook - Any ideas

Hi all,
    I wanted to find out how you inform your new staff about how they should be using the schools ict equipment/services or whats available?

Our school provides staff with a small handbook with school information and also individual departments have their own handbook/guide. I started to give a 2 page introduction to all new staff regarding do's and dont's but theres so many items that need to be covered.

I recently found out a staff who'd been working at the school for over a year, didnt even know the school had internal media site where staff can upload videos for pupils to watch.

Even when i started at the school, nothing was given to me other that my login details and a quick overview of the servers and their roles.

Would anyone like to share how they have done their handbook? Is it a standalone or incorporated into schools handbook? Do you provide a induction service?

Thanks in advance.

2. Thanks to has from:

robmal (6th October 2012)

Thank Post
    When I started at our school, all I got was a login (plus admin details) and that was it! not even this server does this and that.....

Now when we have new (non network admin) staff they each receive a separate "ICT Guide" which must have about 20 odd pages in it now covering most things that we regularly get asked about from key combinations to toogle laptops, how to log support calls all the way through to printer mapping and accessing school resources from home.

Staff really seem to appreciate it and we just update the guide throughout the year and when we know there is a new person joining we print the book out and bind it together for them.... even if they dont read it and then ask for help, we can refer them to page X for details
    Last edited by dobsonl; 5th October 2012 at 08:55 PM.

4. Thanks to dobsonl from:

has (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dobsonl View Post
    When I started at our school, all I got was a login (plus admin details) and that was it! not even this server does this and that.....

Now when we have new (non network admin) staff they each receive a separate "ICT Guide" which must have about 20 odd pages in it now covering most things that we regularly get asked about from key combinations to toogle laptops, how to log support calls all the way through to printer mapping and accessing school resources from home.

Staff really seem to appreciate it and we just update the guide throughout the year and when we know there is a new person joining we print the book out and bind it together for them.... even if they dont read it and then ask for help, we can refer them to page X for details
    Would you mind if i took a look please?

has

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dobsonl View Post

Could you put a link on here?

Thank Post
    PM me your address and i shall send it across to you

Just seen Has has requested it as well! I will upload it as soon as I can

8. 2 Thanks to dobsonl:

FN-GM (5th October 2012), has (5th October 2012)

Thank Post
    I would really appreciate seeing a copy too (without compromising your network 'state secrets' of course!)

Things much the same here and I know it would save us a lot of grief to have a document such as yours

Cheers

Thank Post

Re: New staff ICT handbook - Any ideas

Can i third that please buddy.

I pay you in educholcolate and educoffee

Thank Post
    that would be very useful document if i could get a copy?

Thank Post
    We dont have a handbook as such, but we get all new staff in on an induction day before they start in September and I generally get an hour with them going through our network and what it can and can't do. I've thought about putting together a handbook as such, but felt they wouldn't bother reading it.

Thank Post
    Yes please - would love a copy!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    We dont have a handbook as such, but we get all new staff in on an induction day before they start in September and I generally get an hour with them going through our network and what it can and can't do. I've thought about putting together a handbook as such, but felt they wouldn't bother reading it.
    I also get an hour with new staff, but they have so much to contend with at the start of the year that they are more worried about their timetables and everything else. They sit there, activate their accounts and everything else they forget! A handbook was on my list for this September, but refitting 15 classrooms kinda took my attention away over the summer and I never did it!

They won't read it right away, but will surely look at it when questions they ask are answered with - "look at the Handbook I gave you!"

Had naturally thought of putting it on the Portal, but they would need to know where it is and so a printed copy might be kinder for new teachers! I would have no mercy with ones who have been there a while tho!

robmal

Thank Post
    If you are happy to share I too would like to have a copy.

Bob K

Thank Post
    Wouldn't mind a look too

gsk

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by has View Post
    Hi all,
    I wanted to find out how you inform your new staff about how they should be using the schools ict equipment/services or whats available?

Our school provides staff with a small handbook with school information and also individual departments have their own handbook/guide. I started to give a 2 page introduction to all new staff regarding do's and dont's but theres so many items that need to be covered.

I recently found out a staff who'd been working at the school for over a year, didnt even know the school had internal media site where staff can upload videos for pupils to watch.

Even when i started at the school, nothing was given to me other that my login details and a quick overview of the servers and their roles.

Would anyone like to share how they have done their handbook? Is it a standalone or incorporated into schools handbook? Do you provide a induction service?

Thanks in advance.
    What have you got in the way of an internal media site?

has

Thank Post
    Its a php web application for staff to upload video and lets pupils and other staff watch it. The link to site is here

Is there anyone who would like to upload their own ict handbook for staff?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast