+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Bring your own device the future? in Technical; Dook - you know full well that 99% have no idea. Just like Building Maintanence, Finance, etc, etc, oh and ...
    Thank Post
    Dook - you know full well that 99% have no idea. Just like Building Maintanence, Finance, etc, etc, oh and everything else outside the subjects they taught. Are you sure that a Headteacher who came through Humanities has 'training, experience, advice / guidance (including legal)' regarding The Science Labs & Prep rooms (storing of chemicals, etc, etc).....?

Ask a different question.......

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @Roberto and @CyberNerd
    I am asking these questions to try to pin point some stuff to take into a discussion on another forum (ok ... LinkedIn) looking at the legal aspect of BYOD. The discussion is a tad lengthy at the moment around Risk Assessment and Competent Person ... so I am trying to gather a few more examples of why and how schools have made certain decisions and who in those schools have made them. Some responses when the Qs have been asked elsewhere have indeed been all about the shiny and hype, and it is good to see the quick response from @CyberNerd.

As for the LA being qualified / experienced in this ... YMMV ... in the same way it is for schools.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by daveyboy View Post
    Dook - you know full well that 99% have no idea. Just like Building Maintanence, Finance, etc, etc, oh and everything else outside the subjects they taught. Are you sure that a Headteacher who came through Humanities has 'training, experience, advice / guidance (including legal)' regarding The Science Labs & Prep rooms (storing of chemicals, etc, etc).....?

Ask a different question.......
    The problem with these areas is that there is a good amount of guidance out there around H&S in schools to cover this. COSHH, financial audits, etc ... so even is a Head doesn't have this expertise they can devolve the actions to someone else (in Safeguarding this is often to a designated Child Protection Officer) but they still take responsibility. There is not the same level of accountability yet around much of technology even though many of the same laws apply.

It is Catch 22 ... but I am trying to see if the same Risk Assessment principles that are used in the above are doing the business when it comes to BYOD ... you don't know until you ask.

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    @Roberto and @CyberNerd
    I am asking these questions to try to pin point some stuff to take into a discussion on another forum (ok ... LinkedIn) looking at the legal aspect of BYOD. The discussion is a tad lengthy at the moment around Risk Assessment and Competent Person ... so I am trying to gather a few more examples of why and how schools have made certain decisions and who in those schools have made them. Some responses when the Qs have been asked elsewhere have indeed been all about the shiny and hype, and it is good to see the quick response from @CyberNerd.

As for the LA being qualified / experienced in this ... YMMV ... in the same way it is for schools.
    Fair enough. My comments might have been made in my usual flippant tone but there was also a serious side to them: more than a few places (business as well as edu) I've seen have implemented BYOD purely because one of the big cheeses read an article about how lovely and fluffy BYOD is, and didn't want to discuss any boring details other than "When can you do it" and "why isn't it done yet".

5. Thanks to Roberto from:

GrumbleDook (11th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Thats a better question, one where you have almost answered it yourself.

'a good amount of guidance out there' - the problem with IT is it is always about money & profit / Headteachers & SMT and shiny toys.

Has anyone ever thought to get the best from what they have already?

Thank Post
    We're still very much in the 'use our own equipment' stage - with the view that out of school access should be via the VLE or other remote access system

In school - its a case of use what we provide and we aim to provide enough to make it a workable solution. BYOD is something that will inevitably encroach here but until you're fully VLE based or have the VDI infrastructure in place its a big step to take, unless you just want them to have internet access.

Plus I feel BYOD disadvantages students. i.e 30 students using 30 Windows PCs that we provide is a level playing field and can be supported by the teacher. 30 different devices from iphones,ipads and laptops means everyone is working differently. And is the student who can only afford the £50 second hand laptop in a fair environment compared to the student with the latest macbook?

I'm not against BYOD but I still see a lot in favour of fixed school equipment.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Plus I feel BYOD disadvantages students. i.e 30 students using 30 Windows PCs that we provide is a level playing field and can be supported by the teacher. 30 different devices from iphones,ipads and laptops means everyone is working differently. And is the student who can only afford the £50 second hand laptop in a fair environment compared to the student with the latest macbook?

I'm not against BYOD but I still see a lot in favour of fixed school equipment.
    I disagree that BYOD disadvantages students - thats not how things have worked out here and It's still a level playing field. The minimum system requirement we have is to support a) WiFi and b) a modern internet browser. *Everything* is done on-line. We provide laptops for students who have forgotten theirs and a bursary scheme for free nebooks for those that qualify
    ICT-centric stuff is still done in traditional IT Suites, but instead of those being used by (eg) English classes for writing up essays they are actually being used for IT. Writing up essays is done online.

Thank Post
    Thats my point - you have to have moved the majority to a VLE for this to work properly. We're not there yet! If we have most of the curriculum based on our VLE then BYOD would certainly work a lot better (with my original misgivings)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    a) WiFi and b) a modern internet browser. *Everything* is done on-line.
    What do you classify as modern?? Where is the line.

Just wondering if I could smuggle this in

http://members.optusnet.com.au/space...4/WiFi-C64.htm
    Full-Setup+.jpg
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th October 2012 at 04:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Would you use NAC to stop 'outdated' devices connecting, or is that feasible with the range of devices that may be brought in?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 1,034 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Personally I would class it as one that fully supports HTML5

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Personally I would class it as one that fully supports HTML5
    Nothing fully supports HTML5 it is still being squabbled over by those large litigious children that pose as IT companies, when it's done it will be because they have moved on to 6. I still wonder if I could get HTML5 up and running on one of these WiFi LAN on Commodore 64 - using FBNET Cartridge and Warpcopy
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th October 2012 at 04:32 PM.

Thank Post
    this is about the bottom line: Intel Pentium 3 / Athlon 64 or later Free disk space 100 MB RAM 128 MB

Chrome system requirements - Google Chrome Help

A few bring in £150 tablets which work fine.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Thanks for both your answers, seems our aruba system doesn't have that functionality.

We have the captive portal but there isnt any option to connect it to AD
    Which Aruba do you have, I have a 3600 controller and we use the captive portal to authenticate using ad credentials

Thank Post

New record.
    A yr10 girl just brought in a 7" Polaroid android tablet.
    It cost £80
    Connected instantly to wi-fi and immediately synchronised all of her schoolwork (google docs), her email and her calendar.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast