+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
How do you do....it? Thread, How do you do your Backups? in Technical; I want to start using Backup to Disk with something like BackupAssist. I have looked at getting something like a ...
  1. #1

    fiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,372
    Thank Post
    477
    Thanked 339 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    158

    How do you do your Backups?

    I want to start using Backup to Disk with something like BackupAssist. I have looked at getting something like a ReadyNAS or QNAP unit to backup to but will I be able to backup to these devices whilst retaining all NTFS permissions?
    Ive alwys used Tapes to back up to so this is new to me.

  2. #2

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    What is your front end running on? VMware? Hyper-V?

  3. #3
    aleach2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Bracknell
    Posts
    74
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 21 Times in 20 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    We use Veeam here. Really good software. We use the full Backup & Replication software. We also use it to replicate our servers to another VMware enviroment at the other end of our site.

    EDIT: It works with both VMware and Hyper-V

  4. #4

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by aleach2 View Post
    We use Veeam here. Really good software. We use the full Backup & Replication software. We also use it to replicate our servers to another VMware enviroment at the other end of our site.

    EDIT: It works with both VMware and Hyper-V
    Yup that is what I was going to hint towards. It's very good at what it does and I use to to replicate Servers every hour offsite to a datacenter. Only ever had one person complain and that was becuase it was during the olympics and it slowed the internet down for people watching online!

  5. #5

    fiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,372
    Thank Post
    477
    Thanked 339 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    What is your front end running on? VMware? Hyper-V?
    We have Hyper-V.
    I want to backup the VMs obviously but I also want to backup our user data which currently resides on a physical server.

  6. #6

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    We have Hyper-V.
    I want to backup the VMs obviously but I also want to backup our user data which currently resides on a physical server.
    If its just User data on the physical server I can highly recommend BackupPC. It won't do full host backups but install a ubuntu machine with decent amount of space. "apt-get install backuppc" login to the web interface and point it at the share. It will backup the data and then manage it all by itself. Its very good for just pure user files and as it utilises hard links for the files the storage is very efficient. I kept 6 weeks worth of 12tb front end storage using 14Tb. (Full Backup Every week, Incrementals mid week).

    For Hyper-V VM's then Veeam.

  7. #7

    fiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,372
    Thank Post
    477
    Thanked 339 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    If its just User data on the physical server I can highly recommend BackupPC. It won't do full host backups but install a ubuntu machine with decent amount of space. "apt-get install backuppc" login to the web interface and point it at the share. It will backup the data and then manage it all by itself. Its very good for just pure user files and as it utilises hard links for the files the storage is very efficient. I kept 6 weeks worth of 12tb front end storage using 14Tb. (Full Backup Every week, Incrementals mid week).

    For Hyper-V VM's then Veeam.
    Will BackupPC keep ntfs permissions etc if I need to do a restore ?

  8. #8

    glennda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sussex
    Posts
    7,821
    Thank Post
    272
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Rep Power
    351
    Quote Originally Posted by fiza View Post
    Will BackupPC keep ntfs permissions etc if I need to do a restore ?
    yes I think it did - I'm not using it at the moment though so cannot test.

  9. #9
    mrbios's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Stroud, Gloucestershire
    Posts
    2,659
    Thank Post
    383
    Thanked 273 Times in 225 Posts
    Rep Power
    103
    Data held on two SANs in two buildings and replicated by DFSR, the SAN in the secondary building is backed up to tape daily (crappy LTO4 though so we have to split different data for different days) using backup exec, those tapes are stored in a fire proof safe.

    If i could change anything I'd be using LTO5 and some different backup software, not a fan of backup exec.

    .... That's how we do it Personally feel there's nothing quite as robust as a tape, wouldn't want to rely solely on hard disks.
    Last edited by mrbios; 1st October 2012 at 02:34 PM.

  10. #10

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,689
    Thank Post
    756
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Rep Power
    438
    We use R1Soft CDP for the physical servers and Hyper-Roo for the hyper-v virtual machines.

    Ben

  11. #11

    fiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,372
    Thank Post
    477
    Thanked 339 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    We use R1Soft CDP for the physical servers and Hyper-Roo for the hyper-v virtual machines.

    Ben
    Where do you backup to with R1Soft CDP and Hyperoo?

  12. #12

    plexer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    13,689
    Thank Post
    756
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    Rep Power
    438
    I backup to a windows server 2008 r2 instance installed on a intel storage server chassis with 11 x 750GB in RAID6 config + 1 x 750GB hot spare.

    Ben

  13. #13

    tmcd35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Norfolk
    Posts
    6,069
    Thank Post
    902
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 825 Posts
    Blog Entries
    9
    Rep Power
    350
    I use Yosemite backup software to backup user data to a 4Tb Buffalo Terrastation rackmount NAS. These are our "on-site" backups. 1 Full backup each year followed by daily incrementals.

  14. #14

    fiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,372
    Thank Post
    477
    Thanked 339 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    I use Yosemite backup software to backup user data to a 4Tb Buffalo Terrastation rackmount NAS. These are our "on-site" backups. 1 Full backup each year followed by daily incrementals.
    Thats what I am looking to do. If you had to restore all user data from the Terastation would it keep the NTFS permissions that were on the original server for each user? Or if there was a folder shared between 3 people read/write access and 4 others with read only. The folder gets deleted. You restore from the Terastation. Would the permissions still exist or would you have to recreate them?

  15. #15

    fiza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,372
    Thank Post
    477
    Thanked 339 Times in 287 Posts
    Rep Power
    158
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    I backup to a windows server 2008 r2 instance installed on a intel storage server chassis with 11 x 750GB in RAID6 config + 1 x 750GB hot spare.

    Ben
    If you dont mind me asking, how much did that hardware cost?



SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Audit Tool - How do you Audit your exuipment
    By Nij.UK in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 4th November 2008, 01:33 PM
  2. Wallpaper - how do you manage yours?
    By Halfmad in forum Windows
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 16th July 2007, 12:48 PM
  3. Disk to Disk to Tape backup. How do you do it?
    By trekmad in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30th May 2007, 08:49 PM
  4. How do you define your 'last rolo'
    By Ben_Stanton in forum General Chat
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 26th January 2007, 03:16 PM
  5. How do you seperate your networks. Subnet / Vlan
    By drjturner in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 28th September 2006, 08:24 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •