+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Transition from Authority provided services to All in house. in Technical; Good Morning, Been asked this morning to think about moving all of our Authority provided services to so that it ...

Thank Post

Transition from Authority provided services to All in house.

Good Morning,

Been asked this morning to think about moving all of our Authority provided services to so that it is all in controlled in house.

To give you a brief run down, I started here at my school in Easter, and the school had no IT tech but a guy coming out from the local authority to firefight once a week.

I have brought the school up to a much better standard than before and been asked about the potential move, so that everything will be in my control.

Currently our local authority control our server, server space, logins, if we get new machines they need to be added to their domain, they provide the internet connection and so on.

This potential move is a exciting one I think as it will give me FULL control of everything rather than needing to go asking for permission for new machines to be added. I know to move away and do it all in house will be a MASSIVE task but I was wondering how many people on here have made the move themselves and what the best approach would be to go about doing it.

Maybe some advice on companies you guys used to help, basically im just after as much info as possible on it.

Thanks,
    sigo19

Thank Post
    Might be worth mentioning what area of the word you are in... There will almost certainly be someone around your area able to help with suggestions for specific local services. Also, what type of school are you, how many staff and students and what services are you currently using.

Thank Post
    We are located in Sunderland, North East of England. We are a Primary School, but with quite a lot of ICT equipment.

We have around 350 pupils and about 40 staff with logins.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,320 Times in 1,711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigo19 View Post
    We are located in Sunderland, North East of England. We are a Primary School, but with quite a lot of ICT equipment.

We have around 350 pupils and about 40 staff with logins.
    How many PCs. It's certainly manageable in house by one person.

What hours do you do? Will your contract be changed to ensure that you are paid for the work that you do ... and to ensure they don't expect 24/7 cover for 365 days a year

Thank Post
    Do it in stages.

Who owns the server and network hardware? Who owns the software licenses for said hardware? What do they require when you leave regarding said hardware* and software?

*specifically, a certain outsourced service company has been known to wipe servers without checking that the school has the data backed up elsewhere / on their new system.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread