+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Offsite Backup in Technical; Originally Posted by british_government A small thread hijack, what on site backup solution do you use for 4tb of user ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by british_government View Post
    A small thread hijack, what on site backup solution do you use for 4tb of user data?
    We snapmirror from one SAN to another which are in different physical locations in the school. Other than that we don't.

EDIT: @british_government just a thought, before we had the SAN replication we used backup exec 2010 and backed up to the HP MSA60, we then also put this to tape using an autoloader and these went into a third building in a fire proof safe.

We did full backups on weekends which usually ran over so then did diffs Tuesday - Thursday night. Wasn't ideal as it could run over quite easily and that throws the rest of the jobs out a bit, plus you have plenty of fail points along the way. The snapmirror / replication between SAN's is majorly impressive in comparison.
    Last edited by RTFM; 15th October 2012 at 12:32 PM.

2. Thanks to RTFM from:

british_government (15th October 2012)

Thank Post
    we are lucky.

"Site a" and "site b" are connected by 5 miles of 1Gb Fibre

Twice daily DPM does a dif backup "site a" to "site b's" near line storage (a HP MSA shelf) and vice versa.

On Friday Site A also takes a tape backup on "site B's Autoloader" and vice versa.

And the tapes are taken out weekly and put in the fire safe of the oposit site which is in a far part of the building.

The only problem is remembering which management server does which backup as although it is plain and simple we still get confused!

Rob

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    Our full user data is about 4tb or something so it's a ball ache to backup offsite due to the size of it......
    Ours is about 2TB. I'm wondering with a 100Mb/s connection whether this would be doable with Crashplan (once the initial backup is done)...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    Ours is about 2TB. I'm wondering with a 100Mb/s connection whether this would be doable with Crashplan (once the initial backup is done)...
    You'll want to throttle it back at certain times of the day though so it doesnt take up your full upload when you need it. Crashplan does allow you to set a max upload speed, or set specific times when it can / cant upload.

Would you be uploading the data as is or doing something with it first onsite? e.g. we upload the actual backup exec files themselves to crashplan, not the folders and shares (if that makes sense?). You might be able to compress that 2tb down somehow? I'm thinking even if you did a full upload once a week.....in an ideal world you could buy 4tb of space, upload 2tb a week and then set an overwrite on the data 2 weeks old.

Essentially this is a complete last ditch solution to if something catastrophic happened, if you lose 2 or 3 days worth of data / work (most would be a week) that isn't bad at all......

I suggested the 2 weeks of data simply incase your backup failed for any reason, you'd always have the week before......

Crashplan does support differential backups too though if you wanted to look at it that way, once the intial upload is done (i'd start it one half term and leave it going for the week with 100% upload) then a diff every night shouldnt be that bad with 100mb upload.....
    Last edited by RTFM; 15th October 2012 at 12:39 PM.

6. Thanks to RTFM from:

Gongalong (15th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    we have a 100mb/s line and initial back up took a couple of weeks to compleate, but if needs be with the uk site they can send you a harddrive to compleate the initial backup on for just over 100

8. Thanks to bwestlake from:

Gongalong (15th October 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bwestlake View Post
    we have a 100mb/s line and initial back up took a couple of weeks to compleate, but if needs be with the uk site they can send you a harddrive to compleate the initial backup on for just over 100
    i'd be more nervous with a hard drive floating about with my entire school data on that i would just uploading it online :\ don't ask me why, thats just what came into my head!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    i'd be more nervous with a hard drive floating about with my entire school data on that i would just uploading it online :\ don't ask me why, thats just what came into my head!
    You do know it just ends up on a hard drive or several at the other end though right. At least is not as bad as the government, it's not like your backing it up by leaving it on the train

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You do know it just ends up on a hard drive or several at the other end though right. At least is not as bad as the government, it's not like your backing it up by leaving it on the train
    If you do it from the crashplan software it encrypts it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Well no, true. I was more just talking about the hard drive generally going through couriers / post more than anything. I understand that the data will ultimately end up on a hard drive though, kinda inevitable :\

Thank Post
    You'll want to throttle it back at certain times of the day though so it doesnt take up your full upload when you need it. Crashplan does allow you to set a max upload speed, or set specific times when it can / cant upload.
    Ah yes, I installed the trial at home. Although perhaps the business software is different?
    Would you be uploading the data as is or doing something with it first onsite? e.g. we upload the actual backup exec files themselves to crashplan, not the folders and shares (if that makes sense?). You might be able to compress that 2tb down somehow? I'm thinking even if you did a full upload once a week.....in an ideal world you could buy 4tb of space, upload 2tb a week and then set an overwrite on the data 2 weeks old.
    The bare minimum is 2TB of file shares and SIMS (although I have no idea how we backup SQL data correctly). So I suspect it's easiest just to back this up direct, and then presumably it monitors and does incremental updates at a defined frequency.

Whole VMs would be fab, but (a) I can't see how it could be done incrementally and (b) it's probably just too much data, even with 100Mb/s.
    Essentially this is a complete last ditch solution to if something catastrophic happened, if you lose 2 or 3 days worth of data / work (most would be a week) that isn't bad at all......
    Exactly. This is a destroyed site scenario.

Thank Post
    What is the Crashplan UK Site? :S

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    What is the Crashplan UK Site? :S
    It seems to have been emalgamated with the Crashplan site. Originally Crashplan was the US site and Crashplan UK was the UK site, they appear to be one now.

The site was crashplanuk.com I believe if memory serves.

Thank Post

Offsite Backup

So you now have the option to only buy in $?

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Thanks for that.

No 'Home edition' UK pricing though? Guess that's still under the US site.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast