+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Offsite Backup in Technical; Speaking of Virtualisation, has anyone out there used an Online backup services which has good support for Virtualisation? I am ...

Thank Post
    Speaking of Virtualisation, has anyone out there used an Online backup services which has good support for Virtualisation?

I am thinking along the lines of maintaining snapshot style backups of virtual servers (Hyper-V, VMware or XenServer) "in the cloud". I also wonder about the capacity requirements - do any of these services have good enough de-dupe that backups of 24 virtual servers would not take up 24x 40Gb = 960Gb of online storage.

Dave

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidIrwin View Post
    Speaking of Virtualisation, has anyone out there used an Online backup services which has good support for Virtualisation?

I am thinking along the lines of maintaining snapshot style backups of virtual servers (Hyper-V, VMware or XenServer) "in the cloud". I also wonder about the capacity requirements - do any of these services have good enough de-dupe that backups of 24 virtual servers would not take up 24x 40Gb = 960Gb of online storage.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

If you drop me a email or PM with your details, i'm sure we can help with this

Thank Post
    Are there any county or UK-wide requirements in terms of protecting student data? Whether SIMS, student coursework, or anything else? I'm a little surprised that there isn't some mandatory requirement... or perhaps I shouldn't be surprised

On a similar level, are there any county or UK-wide requirements in terms of where data is stored off-site? I know some have already mentioned using a strong box at home.

Good points about division of data. Student coursework is probably around 1TB. Teacher resources are probably several hundred MB. SIMS is tens of MB. We'd still be close to 2TB for the absolutely crucial stuff. My feeling is that the cheapest solution would be 3 rotating backups (2 kept offsite) keep on HDD, with the backups (no doubt slow) taken at the weekend.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Problem is students remember they lost some thing form about 1 year ago. You need a 2 year backup cycle for A-level and GCSE students.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,215 Times in 1,633 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholab View Post
    Problem is students remember they lost some thing form about 1 year ago. You need a 2 year backup cycle for A-level and GCSE students.
    Probably a 3 year cycle for A-Level. There are always students who end up repeating Year 12 or Year 13 and spend 3 years in sixth form.

Thank Post
    We only keep 30 days, and all teachers are aware of that. Tough cheddar unfortunately if it goes beyond that.

A pertinent item in El Reg about storing data in the Cloud, not that the ICO probably give any clear guidelines about what is required: ICO: Data blunders by your cloud provider still YOUR fault ? The Register

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gongalong View Post
    Are there any county or UK-wide requirements in terms of protecting student data? Whether SIMS, student coursework, or anything else? I'm a little surprised that there isn't some mandatory requirement... or perhaps I shouldn't be surprised
    There are mandatory requirements for financial records and student records (eg SIMS). Data must be kept for years, can't remember the exact but it's something like 7+. All other data is up to your school policy as set by SMT/Governors.

8. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Gongalong (28th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,473 Times in 1,916 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    There are mandatory requirements for financial records and student records (eg SIMS). Data must be kept for years, can't remember the exact but it's something like 7+. All other data is up to your school policy as set by SMT/Governors.
    Bear in mind that this doesn't mean you need to backup over a 7 year period, as a backup today will hold all the data required.

10. Thanks to localzuk from:

Gongalong (28th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Crashplan looks of interest, although you have to contact a local rep for business pricing. Anyone got experience of them? Backup Software Features Comparison - Online Storage, Data Recovery, Security - CrashPlan

Thank Post
    Crashplan looks of interest, although you have to contact a local rep for business pricing. Anyone got experience of them? Backup Software Features Comparison - Online Storage, Data Recovery, Security - CrashPlan
    We use Crash Plan

Essentially we backup like this;

Snapmirror from one NetApp (main server room) to a secondary Netapp (secondary server room), we then have Backup Exec 2010 on a virtual server running in the secondary server room which we backup the snapshots (and a primary school we have directly connected via fibre) to a HP MSA60. We send the backup exec files offsite via crashplan.

If we ever had any issues and the whole school burnt down we could download the backup exec files, inventory them and restore from them. It would take a little while to do but ultimately if the situation arose and we needed to do it it isnt like we wouldnt have a little bit of time

13. Thanks to RTFM from:

Gongalong (15th October 2012)

Thank Post
    if you use Online Data Backup - Offsite, Onsite, & Cloud - CrashPlan Backup Software you get 3tb of compressed storage (about 5tb raw) we pay just under £300 a year for a server, you can use symbolic links and put it on a specific server, we opted for per server as you get 3tb compressed per server

15. Thanks to bwestlake from:

Thank Post
    RTFM: can I ask what you pay for CrashPlan? (presumably the business version?)

I've emailed them for a quote.

Thank Post
    we pay just under £300 i cant remeber specificaly the price, but i think thats with education discount, they also did a deal for us with 4 servers for just over £600

18. Thanks to bwestlake from:

Thank Post
    RTFM: can I ask what you pay for CrashPlan? (presumably the business version?)

I've emailed them for a quote.
    We pay £15 a month for the 500gb business one (we only actually backup our servers and the primary school). Our full user data is about 4tb or something so it's a ball ache to backup offsite due to the size of it......

20. Thanks to RTFM from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RTFM View Post
    We pay £15 a month for the 500gb business one (we only actually backup our servers and the primary school). Our full user data is about 4tb or something so it's a ball ache to backup offsite due to the size of it......
    A small thread hijack, what on site backup solution do you use for 4tb of user data?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast