+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, GP Startup scripts in Technical; Would anyone like to shed some light on this for me! Cus it never works for me. Previously post saw ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

GP Startup scripts

Would anyone like to shed some light on this for me! Cus it never works for me.

Previously post saw me trying to deploy Picasa. After coming to the conclusion that it is a monumental headache i scrapped that and went for gimp.

Now the newest GIMP is only exe. I've learned from the Picasa saga that just calling it from my VB login script doesnt work as it demands Administrator credentials.

Someone mentioned that i should use the start up script instead. So, ive tried...nothing, nada, zilch.

Anyone wanna hold my hand through the process?

Thank Post
    A lot of it depends what you're running it under.

By default startup scripts run as "system" in terms of the machine context. However although this has full permissions locally, it won't have access to network shares etc unless you've given it access already? So if as an example your script is running it from a network share, the local system may not have permissions to access that. (Can't remember what it is, but think it's "domain computers" as the security group?)

Do you know if it's "admin access" in terms of network shares etc, or as in UAC etc that is blocking it? Have you tried accessing anything else on a network share via the startup script?

Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh ok! I've added Domain Computers to the delegation. See it that helps.

Sorry to be dense, but when does this script run? Before login screen im assuming, as soon as its "on" the network?

Thank Post
    If it's a startup script it should do it in this order (plus or minus other addons/software policies)

Network/RPC services etc start
    Computer GPOs loaded
    Computer Policy loaded
    StartUp Scripts
    Logon Screen
    User GPO
    User Policy
    User logon scripts

etc.

As I said above it may not be that domain computers issue if you've assigned permissions else where, but could be. If it's not "share access" that's denied, you could always use a script to force the exe install to run under an admin account (whether service account, or normal). Then it should have UAC style permissions if needed. But seems more likely to be share issue, as it should have full local admin permissions from using "system".

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For photo editing we generally use this, free, makes an MSI and has a really nice UI:
    Paint.NET Documentation

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Little-Miss (25th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    (Can't remember what it is, but think it's "domain computers" as the security group?)
    Can confirm that it is Domain Computers.

@Little-Miss: Not sure exactly how you're pulling the exe using the script but you may also need to map the share and pull it from the map. Depend entirely on how you call the exe and what it does.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Emco MSI Package Builder software

Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Would anyone like to shed some light on this for me! Cus it never works for me.

Previously post saw me trying to deploy Picasa. After coming to the conclusion that it is a monumental headache i scrapped that and went for gimp.

Now the newest GIMP is only exe. I've learned from the Picasa saga that just calling it from my VB login script doesnt work as it demands Administrator credentials.

Someone mentioned that i should use the start up script instead. So, ive tried...nothing, nada, zilch.

Anyone wanna hold my hand through the process?
    This is dredging up an old post and I'm sure you have found alternate solutions. However, if you are still looking for a slick way to deal with deploying software that only come with exe installers then you may want to check out Emco MSI Package Builder. I've been using this software for over a year now and very much recommend it. The license is decently priced (we have the enterpise version) and the software works well. I've deploy 30-40 packages with it, most with very little difficulty.

This software basically monitors your installation process onto an existing machine and then packages it into a msi. I then use GPOs to deploy the msi. I have used this for everything from .exe installers to drag and drop installers (manually creating menu shortcuts, etc.).

Generally I avoid startup scripts for installation except for packages that pretty much well demand it (I'm looking at you MS Office and Visual Studio).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,133 Times in 867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Trialled Emco earlier this month and dumped it in favour of using winstall LE

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Haven't used winstall LE so can't comment on it (looked at it briefly a year ago but not enough to say anything). Curious what issues you ran into with Emco? The only issue I ran into so far is deploying packages such as Eclipse which has extremely deep paths.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread