+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
How do you do....it? Thread, Students E-mail. in Technical; Originally Posted by TechMonkey Ermmmm ops: We don't. No student email. Head and NM have decided that unlike the Net, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,503 Times in 1,943 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Students E-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    Ermmmm ops: We don't. No student email. Head and NM have decided that unlike the Net, email just hasn't got the educaational need and is more of a pain.
    How do you comply with the requirements for teaching email in the curriculum then? What age kids?

Thank Post

Secondary. We have on accoasion when asked allowed some dummy web mail accounts to be used to get screenshots for coursework. But it has never been a problem according to the teachers.

It all stems back to early days of DFES saying everychild must have email. The school did this and then found 90% of email was internal, about 85% of that internal mail was within class (so from one station to another in the same room, probably right next to each other) and a huge percentage was just bullying. Then DFES started flip flopping about what was required (every child must have one, every class must have one, then something else, then back to every child) and the head and NM decided that it wasn't a critical feature. Hasn't caused any problems though.

Thank Post

We moved away from RM EasyMail about two years ago to Exchange and OWA. Best mover we ever did.

A shortcut on the desktop logs them straight in to the Exchange server no asking for passwords. OWA for external access via a link from the website. We can import the school calendars into the pupils OWA calendar and have large mail boxes, typically 100mb plus we can search mail and disable mail boxes should we need to. Because it’s AD there's only one user name and password to remember.

Don't forget to use a backup like VERITAS that will backup the database, normal backups don't.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,257 Times in 1,662 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    We have a school domain 'mineheadmiddle.somerset.sch.uk' which, mail-wise, is served by the RM Easymail system. Kids get on with it ok. Personally I hate it but then thats me...
    Like localzuk we have a domain school.co.uk and are served by RM EasyMail.

Kids from Years 3 to 6 all have webmail through this and so do all staff. Office staff use their EasyMail accounts through MS Outlook at school with the .pst folder being held on their home drive so that it's "portable"

I don't like EasyMail, but it's straightforward enough to sort out passwords and seems to work for us.

Actually we also have some gmail accounts (feeding into Outlook) which were set up as disaster management during the great RM server outage earlier this year - our web enquiries still go through that!

Lin

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 923 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plock
    Our students have exchange accounts; they can only access this through OWA, no Outlook access.

We have SharePoint so we have linked the email system into the MySite.

External Email is allowed, but extensive monitoring is in place to ensure nothing inappropriate is being delivered from our domain.
    How are you doing the Sharepoint Integration? I can add in the Exchagne moduley bit but when you put it in you have to code in a username and the usual %USERNAME% didn't work for me. I wanted to code the E-mail straight into a box on the front page of the Sharepoint so everytime anyone goes to the Intranet they get there email on it.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    How are you doing the Sharepoint Integration? I can add in the Exchagne moduley bit but when you put it in you have to code in a username and the usual %USERNAME% didn't work for me. I wanted to code the E-mail straight into a box on the front page of the Sharepoint so everytime anyone goes to the Intranet they get there email on it.
    There are several ways you can do this; we use the exchange module on the 'MySite' area. The settings used are:

Exchange Folder Name: inbox/?cmd=contents

Mail Server Address: Internal or External address will work. External if you can access your SharePoint from any internet connection. Remember you will need the routing already setup for external access.

Mailbox: Your mailbox name, i.e. firstname.lastname

Ok, so another way you can do it, which you could use for the homepage of SharePoint. That's to use a 'Page Viewer Web Part' and just enter the address to your exchange.

Hope that helps!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12