+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Quick Response Needed - RM CC4 allow staff to run software fromcd but not install? in Technical; Hi Is it possible to allow staff users to run software from DVD's eg. Flash files or exe's but still ...

Thank Post

Quick Response Needed - RM CC4 allow staff to run software fromcd but not install?

Hi

Is it possible to allow staff users to run software from DVD's eg. Flash files or exe's but still to prevent them installing the software?

Need a quick reply if anyone can help. We have some staff complaining at not being able to run software straight from dvd's. just wondering if it is possible? Without letting them install other disks.

Cheers

Thank Post
    If the program runs directly from the CD, without requiring installation you can allow the exe to run by creating a file rule in the RMMC. You will need to create a new file rule for each disk they want to run though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @tj2419:

My advice to you is not to allow users even staff to run executables from CDs or DVDs or USB flash drives, if it is flash based software then copy the files over onto the P: Drive and create a shortcut in the programme files MMC and add the group or staff who require the shortcut, then create a software rule in the MMC which allows the group or staff members the rights to run this software from P:

If needed you can create a virtual disc using the wizard and then pushing this out using the MMC but I havn't done this for ages as most stuff is either flash based or has an MSI with which to install from the MMC.

Its up to you but I think many on here would give you the same advice

4. Thanks to bossman from:

tj2419 (19th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Only if you knew the disks they were going to use, you could create file access rules.

A path access rule pointing to the DVD drive may also work, but you would need to hide the drive for students if you don't already do so, so they couldn't run programs via the DVD too.

Thank Post
    I agree with @bossman however and I wouldn't personally allow it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @tj2419:

My advice to you is not to allow users even staff to run executables from CDs or DVDs or USB flash drives, if it is flash based software then copy the files over onto the P: Drive and create a shortcut in the programme files MMC and add the group or staff who require the shortcut, then create a software rule in the MMC which allows the group or staff members the rights to run this software from P:

If needed you can create a virtual disc using the wizard and then pushing this out using the MMC but I havn't done this for ages as most stuff is either flash based or has an MSI with which to install from the MMC.

Its up to you but I think many on here would give you the same advice
    Thanks for that. This is what we currently do but a senior member of a department is not happy as he says he needs to trial software before going through installing it on the network and it is affecting learning of children.

So if we allowed exe's it would need to be done for each different disk there can't be a sweeping rule for all exe and swf files from the DVD drive?

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @tj2419:

Does this member of staff have a school laptop>

If so then tell him to trial his software on there, also remind this person that any software that he or she proposes to purchase for the network should have the appropriate licences and also has to be approved by the IT Support team as it may not be compatible with the OS which you currently run.

We have a policy for this and any software which is required on the network has a 3 week lead time and all the staff are aware of this.

Don't be bullied even by a senior member of staff as they will once given the opportunity come at you time and time again with the excuse that they need it straight away and you did it before so why not now.

Get your policies in order for everything and get them supported by SLT and you should have no problems from that day on believe me.

good luck

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread