+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, DNS help in Technical; Hmm, When i Google all the current issues im having, the majority of the responses point to DNS issues... I ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

DNS help

Hmm,

When i Google all the current issues im having, the majority of the responses point to DNS issues...

I ran NetDiag on my 2003 DC, it mainly passes but i have a couple of warnings

The first is

Default gateway test . . . . . . . : Failed

[FATAL] NO GATEWAYS ARE REACHABLE.
    You have no connectivity to other network segments.
    If you configured the IP protocol manually then
    you need to add at least one valid gateway.
    Wha? My default gateway is filled in under the NIC's IP properties. Pinging gets destination unreachable. Funny thing is, ive just tried to image a laptop and it errored on Default Gateway....

The second lost is

[WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS server '10.120.224.105'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication. [WARNING] The DNS entries for this DC are not registered correctly on DNS server '10.120.224.107'. Please wait for 30 minutes for DNS server replication.
    I have no idea what those two are....i'm wondering whether Link2ICT have put them in when they were faffing with something. Should i just remove them? I kinda thought all my DNS would be dealt with internally?

DNS is not my strong point so learning the hard way here. Any help appreciated!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,740 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Blog Entries
    DNS should be handles by your internal DCs, the DNS servers should have fowarders to upstream dns. If not reset it and use ipconfig /registerdns to force an update to your local servers.

As to the gateway it could be to do with the insane policy many schools over there have of only having a proxy upstream with no actual routable gateway.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Little-Miss (13th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Oh ok. So they're not the kind of issues to be causing me grief then?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Just for your reference LittleMiss you cannot ping your Gateway switch (ending in .50). This is managed by BGFL and ping requests are not permitted. You'll also find the same applies when attempting to ping external websites from within the BGFL network.

As for the two IPs you mentioned, those are BGFL's DNS servers. These should be listed in your DNS Forwarders and process any request your internal DNS (normally your DC) cannot process.

For example when you enter google.com, the request would be passed to your internal DNS first. Because it won't know the answer, it'll forward the request to BGFL's DNS servers which should know where to find google.com. It happens so quickly and instantly, most people just take it for granted.

You'd know if DNS wasn't working as you'd have serious internal problems and secondly, you'd get no web traffic coming through either. Providing both are working (to the best of your knowledge), I think they can be safetly ignored. Hope this helps!

6. 2 Thanks to Michael:

eduabncs (14th September 2012), Little-Miss (13th September 2012)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    lol you know, i knew that was the case with pinging it, but doubted myself so thought i'd give it a try anyway!

Thank Michael

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread