+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, FTP for administration server in Technical; Hi there, Haven't asked many questions directly on here but I'm a little stumped at the moment. I'm trying to ...
    Thank Post

FTP for administration server

Hi there,

Haven't asked many questions directly on here but I'm a little stumped at the moment. I'm trying to create an FTP server for our admin server in order for staff to access the work etc that is uploaded from our teachers etc. I have completed the installation etc of IIS Manager but I am struggling with it actually being able to connect from outside of the network (connects fine locally). We use EMBC broadband, I am unable to ping or tracert through the router and I was wondering if anybody knew how I could work around the router or change settings within it. I have no idea what the address is of the router and to be honest with my teaching schedule don't really have the time to research it in too much depth.
    If anyone could help me from an educational point of view I would very much appreciate any help you can throw my way.

Many thanks in advance

(back to these hyperactive kids then I guess)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: FTP for administration server

You will likely need to talk to the EMBC to have your ports opened won't you? The way things work down here is that everything is filtered unless a request is put in to have something enabled - and they sometimes just say no.

Also, FTP is a very insecure system and as such personally I would shoot anyone that installed such a service on any server near me...

What exactly are you trying to do?

Thank Post

Well i'm kinda having my ears burnt coz I'm having trouble finding the time to look into much ICT technical stuff at the moment, (never do a teaching assistant/IT tech job - absolute nightmare). What they/we want is for the teachers to be able to access a certain folder on the Administration Server from anywhere on their laptops. FTP just sounded like the easiest option from my POV, but i'm willing to listen to any help you can throw my way. End of the year and I still feel stressed, lol, utter madness.

Cheers
    Steve

Thank Post

I would go with a VPN connection, much better than FTP.

Other than that RDP isn't such a bad option, however, you're going to need to setup a machine on the network to deal the requests. A terminal server would be ideal for a lot of users, but this can be costly also.

Either way you're going to require speaking to your ISP, as after all, their firewall will decide if you're aloud in or not!

RDP ports are also sometimes denied by some ISP’s, or at least the LEA.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,645 Times in 2,047 Posts
    Blog Entries

I would go with a secure WebDAV system - take a look at http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...ebDAV-IIS.html

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    I would go with a secure WebDAV system - take a look at http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...ebDAV-IIS.html
    In fact, I think I might side with you on that one. VPN is good, but I suppose just for a single directory, it would make sense to go with WebDAV.

I've found in the past however, once you give them access to one thing. They generally want access to the lot!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread