+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
How do you do....it? Thread, Tracking abusive usage? in Technical; I wasn't expecting to ever have to post this sort of thing up but last night someone with access to ...
    Thank Post

Tracking abusive usage?

I wasn't expecting to ever have to post this sort of thing up but last night someone with access to one of my schools made the mistake of using the schools PC's to access some inappropropriate content on the web and then print it off..

Perhaps their biggest mistake was doing it just as I was logged in remotely to check out a few printer queue problems and other admin else I might not have noticed.

Now, I've dealt with the issue as best I can in terms of informing the relevant head, collecting what evidence I can, and closing a rather glaring loophole in our filter etc... but I'm aware that what I have in terms of info' is sketchy at best.

So, can anyone suggest a pro-active approach that would allow me to track who, where and when someone has used/abused the system in future.

Just to note.. what I have at present is:
    - auditing turned on (which gives me login/off, time, etc..)
    - PaperCut print logging (gives me username, time, file, etc)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Tracking abusive usage?

Forensic software that auto sceen grabs as flagged content is viewed? - Securus or Policy Central.

Thank Post

Proxy logging? We have a smartcache box that logs everywhere the kids try and go. I do a report everyday to check what people are hitting against and spot any potential trouble makers. Also allows us to check where someone has been if we hear of anything dodgy, check who else has used a site when we find something dodgy and who was around when someone looked at something.

Thank Post

Thanks for those...

I've realised that part of my problem is that the staff member used a childs account to get online so part of what I need to do is lock down childrens accounts such that they can only be used during a normal school day. That and take the attitude that I'm working in a secondary and tighten up the security significantly..

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As it happens we allow only logins student logins between 8:30am and 4pm. Could be a problem when we move to 24hr access tho'.

Seems a really dangerous thing to do by the teacher - that kids account now has that site in their history!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by contink
    Thanks for those...

I've realised that part of my problem is that the staff member used a childs account to get online so part of what I need to do is lock down childrens accounts such that they can only be used during a normal school day. That and take the attitude that I'm working in a secondary and tighten up the security significantly..

Can your proxy not integrate with AD? If so theres no way anyone could use someone elses logon. Saves them having 2 passwords aswell. Get it sorted!

Sawmill is a peice of software designed to make up for the terrible logging facilities in the child like proxies like equinet cachepilot.
    Seems the business for what it is, although its nothing more than what a proper proxy does as standard. Only around £60 so worth it if you have been forced to use an inadiquate proxy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts

contink: Has this teacher been disciplined by any chance? and how did the teacher know the childs password for their login.

Are they fixed passwords?
    If they are i would ensure that only the child knows their password by allowing them to change them frequently.

Same goes for staff every thirty days: they may well moan but it keeps them on their toes and the network security a little safer.

Thank Post

As for the printers, I have them set to not delete the spool file after its printed, and I have the print cue restricted to admins. Basicaly anything that is printed, I can reprint at a later date along with the time and date it was printed. It helps and costs nowt. It also puts the fear of admin into people who would otherwise print their holiday snaps off on the colour laser printer.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mark
    As it happens we allow only logins student logins between 8:30am and 4pm. Could be a problem when we move to 24hr access tho'.
    That's my first port of call... All pupils accounts have been set to have access between 8am and 4pm and the GPO updated to enforce this with a logoff if outside the hours.

Thankfully I don't have to worry about 24 hour access.

Seems a really dangerous thing to do by the teacher - that kids account now has that site in their history!
    Dangerous isn't the half of it... I'm not in a position to prove anything until we get CCTV footage checked but I'm reasonably certain this isn't teaching staff.

On the up side this has highlighted deficiencies in the security setup and taught me a number of valuable lessons, thankfully before the kids worked anything out, so I'm seeing the silver lining.

As to the proxy side of things.. that's the next stage.. part of the problem is that we're using 2 different net connections and I'm still tweaking things on the filtering side of things before I go further.. Something for the summer though, definitely!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bossman
    Are they fixed passwords?
    If they are i would ensure that only the child knows their password by allowing them to change them frequently.

Same goes for staff every thirty days: they may well moan but it keeps them on their toes and the network security a little safer.
    There's plenty of evidence that forcing regular password changes does no such thing, particularly if you try and enforce strong passwords. What generally happens is that users either use a password stem and just stick a number on the end or they write their password down and stick it on the monitor!

http://www.microsoft.com/emea/itssho...px?videoid=540 has some info on the tradeoffs between tight security and making it possible to do the job.

Thank Post

If it's very serious (ie. we had a student look at some nudity of people who were a very questionable age) then report it to the authorities, we had one of our computers taken away for investigation.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful
    If it's very serious (ie. we had a student look at some nudity of people who were a very questionable age) then report it to the authorities, we had one of our computers taken away for investigation.
    Thankfully it's not THAT serious... low-ish grade stuff that didn't trigger the DansGuardian. But for all that serious enough given that we have primary age children here.

Password security is always an issue but in this instance I'm opting to use this as a real world example for next year.. The clincher being that staff need to remember and keep their password safe or they may be seen as a suspect if it happens again.

@srochford:
    Thanks for the trade off link... useful stuff

Thank Post

We recently installed Policy Central (again) and it is now far better. I am the first to put my hands up and say that i did slag it off over 12 -18 months ago has it caused all sorts of grief with educational software (Smartboard, Promethean, etc etc,)

I recently installed the ltest version and it is far better nad have had no problems what soever. Yu can deploy the client via GPO or via the software’s own deployment tool.

It does catch the kids and staff out when you can reproduce colour pictures of their wrong doings.

Just thought i would mention them again as i also like to praise software vendors as well as slag them off.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY
    As for the printers, I have them set to not delete the spool file after its printed, and I have the print cue restricted to admins. Basicaly anything that is printed, I can reprint at a later date along with the time and date it was printed. It helps and costs nowt. It also puts the fear of admin into people who would otherwise print their holiday snaps off on the colour laser printer.
    How does one do this? I would like to know please thnx Dont mean to steal his thread btw just a quick question.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by originofsymmetry
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY
    How does one do this? I would like to know please thnx Dont mean to steal his thread btw just a quick question.
    Go to Printer Properties, Advanced Tab and select 'Keep Printed Documents'.

Check the Security on the printer to make sure only the people and groups you want to be able to delete the queue have 'Manage Documents' permission.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast