+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, How the ferk do you set up MS Exchange server! in Technical; Hey guys! I'm currently tearing my hair out trying to get exchange server working with an outside pop3 email account. ...

Thank Post

How the ferk do you set up MS Exchange server!

Hey guys!

I'm currently tearing my hair out trying to get exchange server working with an outside pop3 email account. Ive entered the mail account details into the pop3 connector and I can email out to an outside email account using the AD users i've set up but the reply address of the email sent shows up as <USER>@<DOMAIN>.local! I've noticed that I cant email in to the users as the email just bounces undeliverable! I can however only email back and forth internally using the <USER>@<DOMAIN>.local prefix.

Can someone tell me what i'm doing wrong and possibly point me in the right direction? Cheers.

Thank Post

Re: How the ferk do you set up MS Exchange server!

What does your Recipient policy state?

Thank Post

If all your email accounts are on the same domain eg someone@yourschool.sch.uk, then you need to set the Default Recipient Policy to update the email addresses in your AD accordingly. That way, when emails are send, the reply-to will be set to the appropriate address. This will only work well if your user account names in AD match the setting on the pop accounts eg AD account 'fred@domain.local ' uses pop mailbox 'fred@yourschool.sch.uk'.

Thank Post

okay managed to get the outgoing and incoming mail working, but when I send out mail it ends up in someones junk folder. Is there a way to stop this so that it ends up treated as legit email and how do I add a footer/disclaimer at the bottom of each email sent from exchange?

Cheers.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Disclaimers are stupid.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts

They are a legal requirment though Geoff, I forgot the rule / act they are part of but I was given a document on it and told to action it.

Anyway to be uuber helpful, If you use Sophos Puremessage for your anti-virus / spam on email that has one, or you could buy a program called Exclaimer which is very neat and does that job.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Exchange Server

Hi,

If you find anyone who can help; can you let me know?

Thanks

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlonsdale View Post
    Hi,

If you find anyone who can help; can you let me know?

Thanks

Simon
    What problems are you having? Or do you want to know how to go about installing Exchange from scratch?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have Exchange running and emails coming in and out; but I now need to set up a new Domain and can't see where to start.

Thank Post
    What version of exchange? To create a disclaimers in 2007, you have to create a transport rule.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 978 Posts

side tracking a little

just curious if you can get a trial version of exchange so I can play around with it or is this one of those things you only get experience of if you work in a place that has exchange ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    They are a legal requirment though Geoff, I forgot the rule / act they are part of but I was given a document on it and told to action it.
    They aren't a legal requirement at all. The validity of any such disclaimer is also dubious, due to the fact that such disclaimers have to be agreed to by both parties, and just tacking it on the end of an email doesn't ensure this.

Also, for it to hold any real weight, the text would have to come before the body of the email, otherwise the person will have read the email before a disclaimer!

However, it all depends on what is being sent.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    They aren't a legal requirement at all. The validity of any such disclaimer is also dubious, due to the fact that such disclaimers have to be agreed to by both parties, and just tacking it on the end of an email doesn't ensure this.

Also, for it to hold any real weight, the text would have to come before the body of the email, otherwise the person will have read the email before a disclaimer!

However, it all depends on what is being sent.
    I disagree, doing some work for limited companies and registered charities (which most schools are) I got given a copy of a page from a document that I was told came from the Chartiy Commission saying we had to deal with it and for Limited Companies it was part of the legal changes that came in force in 2007 Companies Act Updates:

It is now a legal requirement for all websites belonging to a Limited Company to include the following (additional) information:

Full name of the company the website represents
    Company registration number and place of registration
    Registered office address
    Trading address
    VAT registration number
    Contact email address
    Details of any trade/professional association memberships (inc Registration Number)
    NOTE: You should also include all of these details on all emails sent out in the name of the company.

Most corporate websites historically have not included this information. It is therefore essential for ALL clients that are Limited Companies to check the details on their site.

This information does not have to be displayed on every page (contrary to popular belief) but it does need to be on a page that is accessible from every other page (if not on all pages).
    Companies to update websites and email footers before 2007 | OUT-LAW.COM
    Email notices and email footers | OUT-LAW.COM

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,720 Times in 2,303 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post
    just curious if you can get a trial version of exchange so I can play around with it or is this one of those things you only get experience of if you work in a place that has exchange ?
    There are lots of ways to give it a go for free without having to work somewhere that has it:

http://www.microsoft.com/exchange/default.mspx
    Trials
    Hosted Trial: Sign up for fully functional Exchange Server 2007 account in minutes.

Run IT on a Virtual Hard Disk Download a pre-configured and ready-to-run virtual machine image to instantly deploy Exchange Server 2007.

Full Installation: Install a 120-day trial of a fully functional Exchange Server 2007 deployment on your own server. A guided evaluation program helps you make the most of the trial.

15. Thanks to SYNACK from:

mac_shinobi (14th May 2008)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,494 Times in 1,935 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    I disagree, doing some work for limited companies and registered charities (which most schools are) I got given a copy of a page from a document that I was told came from the Chartiy Commission saying we had to deal with it and for Limited Companies it was part of the legal changes that came in force in 2007 Companies Act Updates:

Companies to update websites and email footers before 2007 | OUT-LAW.COM
    Email notices and email footers | OUT-LAW.COM
    That isn't a disclaimer. That is simply complying with the rules of being a company. The law has always been there that business letters required that information, it has now just extended to emails and websites.

A disclaimer is all that legal gibberish that appears on emails from corporations, government bodies etc... who seem to think a random block of text at the bottom of an email is a binding contract.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread