+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Photos Galore!!!! in Technical; Hello everyone, We have a bit of a situation on our hands...we have Digital Photography as a subject at our ...

Thank Post

Photos Galore!!!!

Hello everyone,

We have a bit of a situation on our hands...we have Digital Photography as a subject at our school and the amount of photos that a certain member of staff has on their home directory is phenomenal ~ 250GB space used.

We also have photos from digital cameras just scattered randomly on our pupil and staff shared drives.

Our question is, how have other schools managed to control the excess of images and photos stored on their network. Our storage SAN is filling up exponentially!!!

We have managed to do some housekeeping on our pupil shared drive, but there is just so much crap everywhere!!

We know that we could quota storage space, but what other things could we do try and get it all under control as it is more than out of control!!!

Thanks in advance!

J.Worth.

Thank Post
    Depending how much of a reason they need high res photos, run a script over the server to compress every image? Reduce the 9999999999megapixels down to 2-3 (or w/e you think is fair) will save loads.

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Depending how much of a reason they need high res photos, run a script over the server to compress every image? Reduce the 9999999999megapixels down to 2-3 (or w/e you think is fair) will save loads.

Steve
    Is there a script you'd recommend for this as I'm getting in a similar situation with some staff - not so much the photography course as the staff who runs that is really good, but we have staff who think that when you resize a photo on a page in word, it makes it so it's "only a small picture" that they're sending through to the printer, but then the 6 pages with 12 photos on each page generates a 500mb+ print file which jams the print que .. etc ..

Ideally, I'd love a script that parses images over a certain size, makes them a sensible size for using, but copies the original to our archive store so that should it be required for some purpose down the line, I can access it .. just a small ask .. but you know .. the thread reminded me I was looking for something .. but I've not put much effort into looking as yet! lol ..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Is there a script you'd recommend for this as I'm getting in a similar situation with some staff
    Nothing particulary premade style nope. Generally just play and make a script up

End of day all it does is loop through "Docs" until it finds an image (put on a file filter), then if X/Y over certain amount, reduce it by 20-50%, then resave. (And in your case, copy old to backup)

Sure there were some on Edugeek I've seen before if you're looking for something to view. Will see if I can find it.

Steve

5. Thanks to Steve21 from:

soveryapt (16th August 2012)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Nothing particulary premade style nope. Generally just play and make a script up

End of day all it does is loop through "Docs" until it finds an image (put on a file filter), then if X/Y over certain amount, reduce it by 20-50%, then resave. (And in your case, copy old to backup)

Sure there were some on Edugeek I've seen before if you're looking for something to view. Will see if I can find it.

Steve
    Ta, I'll have a ganders about .. likelihood is I'll have asked the question previously and forgotten to do anything about it .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I used an imagemagick script previously described here:
    Saved 40GB space on shared drives

8. Thanks to CyberNerd from:

soveryapt (16th August 2012)

Thank Post
    J_Worth: Probably shouldn't have let it get that bad to begin with (hind sight is always 20/20).

Once you've shrunk the folders to a reasonable size, look into disk or folder quotas. Stops anyone being able to fill up a share.

Thank Post
    I use Irfanview. It can set photo sizes by long side, which is great if you want to set all images to a certain size, whether portrait or landscape. I've also found with a bit of tweaking you can get the filesize down even if you don't reduce the picture by much.

Thank Post
    Just bare mind mind scripting work fine for JPEGs. But if you're teaching photography you need to allow for RAW files and photoshop files. Both of which can be eye wateringly massive.

Thank Post
    We collect the majority of our photos on a shared area for staff / students so that there aren't multiple copies scattered across the network. Which every once in a while i run fotosizer to reduce the images by half 2 - 3 mb pics become 1mb. The photography students are a more of pain in the backside we ended moving the majority of them onto there own server which had a lot more storage allocated to it.

Thank Post
    in addition to previous advices I'd recommend to use programs that delete equal or the same files (pics, images). In such situations, I bet, pupils upload some amount of equal photos. They could be deleted in order to save some space on the hard drive

Thank Post
    We also run Digital Photography, our students have the same ammount of space as all the other students but the photography students have their own dedicated Photography space on another server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread