+ Post New Thread
How do you do....it? Thread, Backup Strategy - Using Tape Drives/Libraries in Technical; I have recently bought an Overland Neo 2000 Tape Library and am now looking at changing by backup strategy. What ...

Thank Post

Backup Strategy - Using Tape Drives/Libraries

I have recently bought an Overland Neo 2000 Tape Library and am now looking at changing by backup strategy. What type of strategy do you all use (Grandafather, father, son? Incremental, Differential). I guess this is likely to depend upon the size of your network and servers you need to backup but a general idea would be good. At present with our single LTO2 tape drive we have managed to keep everything to full backups daily on a four week rotation but with us just taking sharepoint on board along with SQL and Exhcange 2007 we are going to need to rethink this strategy.

Thank Post

Re: Backup Strategy - Using Tape Drives/Libraries

Which software is better for Backup to Disk, Open Files, Open SQL, Remote Servers ?

NovaBACKUP?

Acronis?

BACKUPASSIST?

Thank Post

Tried them all!

Acronis 9.1 enterprise is the better of them all.

We use a 500gb buffalo RAID 5 USB external drive for each server.
    Then a 2TB buffalo RAID 5 USB drive for Daily backups.

Our strategy is - Daily changes incremental backup of the whole week on all servers, then Full backup (disk snapshot) on Saturday late night.

All set to high compression - doesnt take too much time, and doesnt suck network bandwidth.

With a full image from all servers saved to a portable 1TB usb drive for offsite backup.

No tape drives involved as they are hopeless unreliable!

P.S i did have a exabyte 10 tape autoloader - but took for ever to load the tape then find the data - in all it took 20 minutes just to restore a 10mb file. Wheres on a raid 5 backup drive it took 5 minutes.

Hope this helps in your strategy?

Thank Post

I'm using the GFS method now have tried back and restore. Using Backup Exec 11d it works very smoothly and very quickly. Backups are running at 640Mb/min and are over in no time including verification. Restore is also fast, tapes are barcoded and is almost instant. Restored an applications frolder with 2.5Gb of data in it in 3.5 minutes very impressive.

By using th GFS method I get a weeks backup, 3 weeks backup, and 12 months backup altogether. I had thought about whether to go for differential or incremental but despite the tape changes i went for incremental. The tape changes with this overland is zero touch anyway as it will autodetect the relevant tapes for you. Not noticed any unreliability with them having used them for many years. Only time this causes an issue in my mind is when the backup rotation is not set correctly and some tapes are used more frequently than others.

I guess its what suits the individual and the business combined as with many issues.

Thank Post

Point 1) Tapes aren't unreliable (apart from DDS, DLT)
    Point 2) Backups are only any use if you check they work!

I use a 20 tape GFS rotation for my main servers too (M-T, F1-4, M1-12). I replaced the tapes after a year and have 12 months stored off site.

Weekly ones get exported and go off site each week, the rest stay in the library.

I'm using Backup Exec 10d still, backups are running around 750MB/min including verificaion. I would never buy something that wasn't an lto(2/3/4 etc) now. Very impressed with it. Capacity can be a compromise, but everthing has been working well.

VMs are exported when possible to NAS storage to make restoration easy.

6. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

albertwt (29th September 2010)

Thank Post

I Run GFS to tape on my servers but this is a last option as it's slow to restore and most of my problems are withs kids deleting their own work, deleting others work or overwiting files.

1st line of defence is shadow copy (when you show someone the 'restore previous version' it's usually soon followed by !! WOW !! )

2nd line of defence is two VERY cheap backup servers built with NO RAID (JBOD) and NO REDUNDENT PSU (cant wait to be flamebait on this one, lol.)

3rd line of defence. the same DVD/RW nightly for the Sims database (automatic), and that DVD gets rotated out to the safe on friday for 6 months.

4th and last IMHO as i have not had to use it in the three years I have been with the school... Tape.... and yes i do check them.

8. Thanks to ChrisP from:

albertwt (29th September 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread