+ Post New Thread
Home Access Plus+ Thread, Folder Modified Dates in Projects:; I have implemented the Home Access Plus+ Facility for staff and students at an educational establishment. However, it has come ...

Thank Post

Folder Modified Dates

I have implemented the Home Access Plus+ Facility for staff and students at an educational establishment. However, it has come to light that when the Extended version is used, it modifies all the dates for ALL folders that are in the network drive. However, It appears when the basic version is used, the date is only modified on the top folder when the actual folder contents have been modified.
    Is there a way to stop the modified date from being modified unless a change is made within the folder, as it means when sorting the drive view my date modified it looks as though all folders have been modified at the same date and time, when in fact they haven't.
    Any advice would be appreciated, as to why this happens and how it can be prevented if possible.
    Thanks

Thank Post
    The extended version is being phased out in v8, it's just a matter of time until I feel it's stable

Thank Post
    Hi
    Thanks for the quick Response.
    That would seem a shame, as I find the extended interface much more user friendly and interactive!

Thank Post
    The Extended interface's features are being converted to HTML5 and Javascript. You get the same experience, if not more features, by using the my files beta. (You can drag and drop, right click rename, right click delete, multi-select, double click to navigate, browser back button support, ZIP explorer, and more)

Thank Post
    I see, so once the new extended version is released, it should solve the date modified issue? Guess there will be no going back on the current changed dates. When can the release be expected? This has become a brilliant tool and a solution I have been looking for , for a long time.

Thank Post
    Ah, I've just looked at why HAP+ does this, and it's to find out if there is read/write permission on that folder. To avoid having to code a very painful and intensive ACL lookup.

1. HAP+ Attempts to create a temp file in the directory
    - Fails :
    2. Attempts to read a directory listing of that directory
    - Fails : No Access
    + Completes: Read Only
    + Completes: Write Access
    3. Delete temp file

Hope this info is useful, it was the only quick and easy way to find out if a user has write/read access to a folder. (ACL lookups are painful)

Thank Post
    If it does that checks in the extended version, how does it check read/write access in the basic version?!

Thank Post
    It doesn't need to, since you can't upload to a sub folder until you have navigated to that folder. It'll error out if you attempt and don't have permission

All really down to the basic version being very basic, and just catching errors when the occur, rather than trying to preempt them (extended/my files v8)

Thank Post
    Hi Nick,

Would there by any way to turn this check off in the extended version? As this is the only small thing that puts me off using the extended version of HAP. I noticed it when one of our fairly large shared drives with a number of folders all had there date modified times changed to the last time I had browsed it through HAP.

Will the same check be in the upcoming HTML5 v8 version? If I remember I think with the basic version it pops up with the username & password prompt if you don't have access to folder or write access when trying to upload a file.

Many thanks for this great tool by the way.

Ash

Thank Post
    Can you try the attached update (you will need to be on v7.9). There will be a new option in the setup page (Read/Write Checks)

11. Thanks to nickbro from:

Ashm (22nd January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that update Nick, I've just tried it and the folder modified dates do not get changed when accessing a share through the extended version.

The only issues I'm having with HAP at the moment is when accessing a folder on the extended version (this has been happening before applying above update as well) on a shared drive that the logged in user does not have permission to view it comes up with the following error message:
    Folder Modified Dates-hap_error.png

Also when uploading a file in the Basic Version using the drag and drop SL method it seems to get stuck on "Checking..." and doesn't upload the file. I've tested this with a few different files, none of which have any strange characters in the file name.

Thank Post
    Error messages in the extended version are now end user friendly. Since silverlight development has been discontinued, bot the basic uploader and extended browser's development has stopped. It will soon be replaced by the v8 My File, demo of which you can try by going to /myfiles/ on your hap+ install.

It's hard to find out why the basic sl upload gets stuck on Checking..., thus why it's being dropped in the next major release (v8)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread