+ Post New Thread
Home Access Plus+ Thread, [HAP+][v8] - Help Documents in Projects:; Hi all, As I progress with v8, I've started work on the new Help System. This Help System will be ...
    Thank Post

[HAP+][v8] - Help Documents

Hi all,

As I progress with v8, I've started work on the new Help System.

This Help System will be localized, meaning I'll be needing some translators & people to write the help documents (please

Anyhow, the new Help System is HTML based. You edit the Help.xml file in ~/App_LocalResources/language (en-gb default)/

When a new user 1st loads My Files v8 up, they will be shown the Help Page (after they've been there once it wont pop up automatically again).

Attachment 12587

The contends of the XML file are quite simple.

e.g.

HTML Code:
    <resources>
      <myfiles>
        <contents>
        <=!=[=C=D=A=T=A=[
          <h2>Contents</h2>
          <ul>
          <li><b><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/index'));">Welcome</a></b>
            <ul><li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/whats-new'));">What's New</a></li></ul>
          </li>
          <li><b>The Interface</b>
            <ul>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/toolbar'));">The Toolbar</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/tree'));">The Tree</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/list'));">The Main List</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/contextmenu'));">The Right Click Menu</a></li>
            </ul>
          </li>
          <li><b>Operations</b>
            <ul>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/delete'));">Delete</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/copy-move'));">Copy/Move</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/properties'));">Properties</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/preview'));">Preview</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/open'));">Open</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/zip'));">Send to ZIP</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/zip'));">Extract from ZIP</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/googledocs'));">Sendd to Google Docs</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/upload'));">Upload</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/newfolder'));">New Folder</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/views'));">View</a></li>
            </ul>
          </li>
          <li><b>Guides to:</b>
            <ul>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/how-to-upload'));">Uploading Files</a></li>
              <li><a href="javascript:void(hap.help.Load('myfiles/drag-and-drop'));">Dragging and Dropping</a></li>
            </ul>
          </ul>

]=]=></contents>
      <myfiles>
    </resources>
    *Note, as part of v8, most of the buttons and such will be localized using additional XML files in ~/App_LocalResources/. The local will be changeable at the Site level, and I may use an AD property to allow users to change their language

Since HAP+ v8 uses Javascript quite a bit, a new API has been created which will load the common hap javascript in, as well as populate a list of localized values. When the script is loaded, it is compacted and values for the javascript to operate are loadded in, e.g. the root folder of the HAP+ site as seen in the browser.

2. Thanks to nickbro from:

TheScarfedOne (4th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Spent a bit more on this today, got 90% of the help pages done, they may not be in plain English, I'll need a bit of help with that one.

Left to do are the pages relating to ZIP files, since I've not programmed that function yet, I can't actually make the help pages for it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd be happy to offer some time looking over the English stuff. I wish i could be more help with translations, but alas English is all i got!

Thank Post
    Ok, try and see if you can figure this out

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hey Nick,

Only had a brief look so far, but for the most part it reads fine. The odd typo etc. corrected and I've suggested a couple of sentence restructures - but I haven't really added much.

Is this the kind of thing you were looking for? Or did you want it padding out more - I would counsel brevity for on-line help though. I think it will be easier to feedback when it can be seen in context, but for now it appears good!

Included are a couple of HTML text comparison reports so you can see what changes I suggest.

This is seriously only about 30 minutes of reading so far though - so i will take another look through to see if anything else stands out!

Matt

Help.xml Report.zip

Thank Post
    Thanks @mattgrimley, any padding of anything else you think is needed, just add it, some of the sections are a bit sparse

Thank Post
    Hi @mattgrimley, can you give Home Access Plus+ - Download: v7.9 a go, see what you think, and any additional changes to the localized file let me know

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    absolutely installing now and i'll run through the help tomorrow! I'm itching to try out the "send to google" and "homework" stuff!

Thank Post
    Homework stuff is not done, at all, it'll prob through an error for you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    Homework stuff is not done, at all, it'll prob through an error for you
    I failed long before that!

When i load the MyFiles page, i get (in firefox) a "Can't find Quota Server" error.

I never actually got quota servers running though, so my hapconfig.xml file should not contain any references. Notice however the usagemade section at the end of each mapping. It appears to be set to drive mode in the setup, however - the xml file show this not to be accurate.

Code:
          <mapping drive="N" name="My Documents" enablereadto="All" enablewriteto="All" enablemove="True" usagemode="Quota">%homedir%</mapping>
    Manually changing that to usagemode="DriveSpace" for each line sorts makes it load happily

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Previews work fine for me in this version

Multiple uploads using the upload button fail with a missing character:

Code:
    Upload of Filename.txt has Failed!
    Could not find a part of the path '\\server\username\Deskto\filename.txt'.
    it should read:
    Code:
    \\server01\mrg\Desktop\filename.txt
    (this is the destination path on the school network fyi.)

The help system makes much more of an impact embedded (as you'd expect). Again, ill look through more fully tomorrow

Thank Post
    Thanks for spotting the issue, how do you like the new error messages?

Anyhow, I've updated the Home Access Plus+ - Download: v7.9 release (only ~/myfiles/default.aspx has changed)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread