+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Home Access Plus+ Thread, HAP+ v8 Feature Requets in Projects:; Hi all, I'm asking for a list of features you would like to see make it into the v8 release ...
    Thank Post

HAP+ v8 Feature Requets

Hi all, I'm asking for a list of features you would like to see make it into the v8 release of HAP+.

Currently on the books are:
    • Moving the MSCB to JSON which should improve things
    • Move to using a Metro Stylized UI (Booking System will go over in v7.5)
    • Main Strings will be Localized, so you can, via the setup page (Should be something like localstrings.xml <strings><string id="module-page-some-id"><![CDATA[String]]></string></strings>)

Any other requests?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    At some stage, i'd love to see some blog-like functionality for teachers to be able to set homeworks etc. Articles could be "tagged" with "subject", "course", "class" or whatever other info is easily accessible from SIMS. This might seem much more appealing once SIMS timetable exports can be understood and imported without conversion (so the system already knows what subjects and classes a given user is in). I know its a big departure from what the system is now, it just seems to me that you have a really powerful framework to build off. Perhaps an integration of something like BlogEngine.NET. perhaps for a v9 or v10

I'd also quite like to see some data on the use of the site. On my only 6.5 site, we hijacked the "Logon tracker" and used it to see what pages different users had been accessing (and with what browsers etc). It has made troubleshooting and just basic analysis of the demand on the site much easier and helps us target year groups (and departments) for training.

Thank Post
    Some form of logging/ debugging would be great I would (like matt) like to see usage logs, I know iis does provide some information but it is jot as granular as I'd like. I'm sure the system would be able to log what users do such as wheat they down/ upload delete etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgrimley View Post
    At some stage, i'd love to see some blog-like functionality for teachers to be able to set homeworks etc. Articles could be "tagged" with "subject", "course", "class" or whatever other info is easily accessible from SIMS. This might seem much more appealing once SIMS timetable exports can be understood and imported without conversion (so the system already knows what subjects and classes a given user is in). I know its a big departure from what the system is now, it just seems to me that you have a really powerful framework to build off. Perhaps an integration of something like BlogEngine.NET. perhaps for a v9 or v10
    Isnt that more of a VLE area. Inst HAP+ a remote access solution?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Isnt that more of a VLE area. Inst HAP+ a remote access solution?
    Perhaps it is better suited to the concept of a VLE, but point me at any VLE which uses single-sign-on, integrates student home-directories (actual, not some remote-hosted server space) and is as simple to use as HAP+. The recent dissolution of Becta in the UK may (in time) result in VLE's returning to consumer-led developments, but for now they remain very expensive and rarely successfully-implemented as a result of the bureaucratic nightmare that was BECTA's framework. I'm far more concerned with allowing teachers to teach and the kids to learn and for me HAP+ is the cornerstone of our web-based approach to this.

Anyway, back on-topic:
    I'm relatively interested in investigating any way of having helpdesk tickets get automatically created by email submission.. We currently have a support@school.com email address which staff find particularly easy to use - I wonder how feasible (and whether there is any appetite) for HAP+ to get mail in from this inbox (auto-responding with a unique call-id - to allow conversations to be logged to the same problem). It's a small gain for some big dev work, but it would neaten the edges of our in-house support offering considerably.

Thank Post
    Perhaps it is better suited to the concept of a VLE, but point me at any VLE which uses single-sign-on, integrates student home-directories (actual, not some remote-hosted server space) and is as simple to use as HAP+. The recent dissolution of Becta in the UK may (in time) result in VLE's returning to consumer-led developments, but for now they remain very expensive and rarely successfully-implemented as a result of the bureaucratic nightmare that was BECTA's framework. I'm far more concerned with allowing teachers to teach and the kids to learn and for me HAP+ is the cornerstone of our web-based approach to this.
    Where is it said that a VLE has to do all of that in one package?

We certainly do not have that here... we have Moodle for online learning, 2 separate email systems (one for staff one for students), a remote folder access solution and access to some of the schools' admin system. All of these are available via the internet which for us (And our definition) constitutes a VLE

Although I do have to agree with the rarely successfully implemented part that I can attest to!

Anyway, back on-topic:
    I'm relatively interested in investigating any way of having helpdesk tickets get automatically created by email submission.. We currently have a support@school.com email address which staff find particularly easy to use - I wonder how feasible (and whether there is any appetite) for HAP+ to get mail in from this inbox (auto-responding with a unique call-id - to allow conversations to be logged to the same problem). It's a small gain for some big dev work, but it would neaten the edges of our in-house support offering considerably.
    Reading Email in can be a pain IIRC, it is a good idea though.

Thank Post
    Hi Nick

How about the abiltiy to bring dates etc into the booking system from an ical file?

Thanks

BTW thanks again for the four terms tip

Dave

Thank Post
    will look into it for v8

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Some other food for thought:

A simple F.A.Q system built into the help-desk would seem like a great idea to me.
    It would be similar in shape to the helpdesk, end users could simply be provided with a list, or a search facility. Admin would add each FAQ item as a separate ticket. Repsonses to helpdesk items could be directed at a specific FAQ

Further down:
    There is quite a lot of growth in "cloud-based" applications. Google docs appears to offer some methods for integrating into 3rd party solutions. Im not at all sure how this works, but box.net allow me to edit a file stored in my box.net cloud storage using google docs. See (this youtube video). It would seem to good to be true, but the ability to build a sweet of freely available cloud-based editors / viewers into the file-browser would be massive!

Matt

Thank Post
    Some other food for thought:

A simple F.A.Q system built into the help-desk would seem like a great idea to me.
    It would be similar in shape to the helpdesk, end users could simply be provided with a list, or a search facility. Admin would add each FAQ item as a separate ticket. Repsonses to helpdesk items could be directed at a specific FAQ
    FAQ Notes will be released in v7.6

Thank Post
    Similar to Matt's idea of cloud-based editing, the ability to open a file over the Internet rather than download it locally would be useful, even if only in read-only format. This would allow people to quickly check a file without the potential security issues associated with downloading it; the ability to edit files online would also allow staff to work collaboratively on files from home, e.g. a shared spreadsheet which we use for pupil assessment.

Thank Post
    In the HTML Version, you can open a HTML Preview of *.doc, *.docx, *.xls, and *.xlsx

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    In the HTML Version, you can open a HTML Preview of *.doc, *.docx, *.xls, and *.xlsx
    Do you mean in the Basic Version? I don't see that - the links are direct links to the file, and clicking them gives me the standard "Open/Save" option, no HTML Preview.

Thank Post
    Sorry - just found it as a right-click option.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    I had never noticed that. It's quite interesting! I wonder if there might be some scope in providing that as the default with a "RIGHT CLICK ME TO SAVE" link at the top? I haven't really thought it through though! I guess it would need a default action on each file-type - internal html viewer, external html viewer (i.e. send to google docs) or open in browser.. Right-click would become the way you downloaded it, if you didnt want the preview..

Which leads nicely into my other thread:
    I raised a query as to alternate ways of handling MS Office files as they are being "opened in the browser" within IE and stored in the temporary internet files. End users are editing and clicking save and loosing their work - I.E. doesn't give any indication that they are working on a "temporary" file. Anyway, you asked me to post this as a question in here so i have - Solution would be either "client-side", "server-side" or "manipulating the user interaction"..

Matt

(P.S. Very much looking forward to FAQ's!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast