+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 122
Home Access Plus+ Thread, HAP+ v8 Feature Requets in Projects:; Hi all, I'm asking for a list of features you would like to see make it into the v8 release ...
  1. #1
    nickbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gilwern, Wales
    Posts
    3,550
    Thank Post
    38
    Thanked 505 Times in 436 Posts
    Rep Power
    114

    HAP+ v8 Feature Requets

    Hi all, I'm asking for a list of features you would like to see make it into the v8 release of HAP+.

    Currently on the books are:
    • Moving the MSCB to JSON which should improve things
    • Move to using a Metro Stylized UI (Booking System will go over in v7.5)
    • Main Strings will be Localized, so you can, via the setup page (Should be something like localstrings.xml <strings><string id="module-page-some-id"><![CDATA[String]]></string></strings>)

    Any other requests?

  2. #2
    mattgrimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    316
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    At some stage, i'd love to see some blog-like functionality for teachers to be able to set homeworks etc. Articles could be "tagged" with "subject", "course", "class" or whatever other info is easily accessible from SIMS. This might seem much more appealing once SIMS timetable exports can be understood and imported without conversion (so the system already knows what subjects and classes a given user is in). I know its a big departure from what the system is now, it just seems to me that you have a really powerful framework to build off. Perhaps an integration of something like BlogEngine.NET. perhaps for a v9 or v10

    I'd also quite like to see some data on the use of the site. On my only 6.5 site, we hijacked the "Logon tracker" and used it to see what pages different users had been accessing (and with what browsers etc). It has made troubleshooting and just basic analysis of the demand on the site much easier and helps us target year groups (and departments) for training.

  3. #3
    sister_annex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    594
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 136 Times in 120 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Some form of logging/ debugging would be great I would (like matt) like to see usage logs, I know iis does provide some information but it is jot as granular as I'd like. I'm sure the system would be able to log what users do such as wheat they down/ upload delete etc

  4. #4

    FN-GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    16,045
    Thank Post
    888
    Thanked 1,727 Times in 1,490 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Rep Power
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgrimley View Post
    At some stage, i'd love to see some blog-like functionality for teachers to be able to set homeworks etc. Articles could be "tagged" with "subject", "course", "class" or whatever other info is easily accessible from SIMS. This might seem much more appealing once SIMS timetable exports can be understood and imported without conversion (so the system already knows what subjects and classes a given user is in). I know its a big departure from what the system is now, it just seems to me that you have a really powerful framework to build off. Perhaps an integration of something like BlogEngine.NET. perhaps for a v9 or v10
    Isnt that more of a VLE area. Inst HAP+ a remote access solution?

  5. #5
    mattgrimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    316
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Isnt that more of a VLE area. Inst HAP+ a remote access solution?
    Perhaps it is better suited to the concept of a VLE, but point me at any VLE which uses single-sign-on, integrates student home-directories (actual, not some remote-hosted server space) and is as simple to use as HAP+. The recent dissolution of Becta in the UK may (in time) result in VLE's returning to consumer-led developments, but for now they remain very expensive and rarely successfully-implemented as a result of the bureaucratic nightmare that was BECTA's framework. I'm far more concerned with allowing teachers to teach and the kids to learn and for me HAP+ is the cornerstone of our web-based approach to this.



    Anyway, back on-topic:
    I'm relatively interested in investigating any way of having helpdesk tickets get automatically created by email submission.. We currently have a support@school.com email address which staff find particularly easy to use - I wonder how feasible (and whether there is any appetite) for HAP+ to get mail in from this inbox (auto-responding with a unique call-id - to allow conversations to be logged to the same problem). It's a small gain for some big dev work, but it would neaten the edges of our in-house support offering considerably.

  6. #6
    sister_annex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wolverhampton
    Posts
    594
    Thank Post
    100
    Thanked 136 Times in 120 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgrimley View Post
    Perhaps it is better suited to the concept of a VLE, but point me at any VLE which uses single-sign-on, integrates student home-directories (actual, not some remote-hosted server space) and is as simple to use as HAP+. The recent dissolution of Becta in the UK may (in time) result in VLE's returning to consumer-led developments, but for now they remain very expensive and rarely successfully-implemented as a result of the bureaucratic nightmare that was BECTA's framework. I'm far more concerned with allowing teachers to teach and the kids to learn and for me HAP+ is the cornerstone of our web-based approach to this.
    Where is it said that a VLE has to do all of that in one package?

    We certainly do not have that here... we have Moodle for online learning, 2 separate email systems (one for staff one for students), a remote folder access solution and access to some of the schools' admin system. All of these are available via the internet which for us (And our definition) constitutes a VLE

    Although I do have to agree with the rarely successfully implemented part that I can attest to!


    Quote Originally Posted by mattgrimley View Post
    Anyway, back on-topic:
    I'm relatively interested in investigating any way of having helpdesk tickets get automatically created by email submission.. We currently have a support@school.com email address which staff find particularly easy to use - I wonder how feasible (and whether there is any appetite) for HAP+ to get mail in from this inbox (auto-responding with a unique call-id - to allow conversations to be logged to the same problem). It's a small gain for some big dev work, but it would neaten the edges of our in-house support offering considerably.
    Reading Email in can be a pain IIRC, it is a good idea though.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Christchurch,NewZealand
    Posts
    16
    Thank Post
    2
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Rep Power
    0
    Hi Nick

    How about the abiltiy to bring dates etc into the booking system from an ical file?

    Thanks

    BTW thanks again for the four terms tip

    Dave

  8. #8
    nickbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gilwern, Wales
    Posts
    3,550
    Thank Post
    38
    Thanked 505 Times in 436 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    will look into it for v8

  9. #9
    mattgrimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    316
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Some other food for thought:

    A simple F.A.Q system built into the help-desk would seem like a great idea to me.
    It would be similar in shape to the helpdesk, end users could simply be provided with a list, or a search facility. Admin would add each FAQ item as a separate ticket. Repsonses to helpdesk items could be directed at a specific FAQ

    Further down:
    There is quite a lot of growth in "cloud-based" applications. Google docs appears to offer some methods for integrating into 3rd party solutions. Im not at all sure how this works, but box.net allow me to edit a file stored in my box.net cloud storage using google docs. See (this youtube video). It would seem to good to be true, but the ability to build a sweet of freely available cloud-based editors / viewers into the file-browser would be massive!

    Matt

  10. #10
    nickbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gilwern, Wales
    Posts
    3,550
    Thank Post
    38
    Thanked 505 Times in 436 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    Quote Originally Posted by mattgrimley View Post
    Some other food for thought:

    A simple F.A.Q system built into the help-desk would seem like a great idea to me.
    It would be similar in shape to the helpdesk, end users could simply be provided with a list, or a search facility. Admin would add each FAQ item as a separate ticket. Repsonses to helpdesk items could be directed at a specific FAQ
    FAQ Notes will be released in v7.6

  11. #11
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Similar to Matt's idea of cloud-based editing, the ability to open a file over the Internet rather than download it locally would be useful, even if only in read-only format. This would allow people to quickly check a file without the potential security issues associated with downloading it; the ability to edit files online would also allow staff to work collaboratively on files from home, e.g. a shared spreadsheet which we use for pupil assessment.

  12. #12
    nickbro's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Gilwern, Wales
    Posts
    3,550
    Thank Post
    38
    Thanked 505 Times in 436 Posts
    Rep Power
    114
    In the HTML Version, you can open a HTML Preview of *.doc, *.docx, *.xls, and *.xlsx

  13. #13
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    In the HTML Version, you can open a HTML Preview of *.doc, *.docx, *.xls, and *.xlsx
    Do you mean in the Basic Version? I don't see that - the links are direct links to the file, and clicking them gives me the standard "Open/Save" option, no HTML Preview.

  14. #14
    enjay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Posts
    4,488
    Thank Post
    282
    Thanked 196 Times in 167 Posts
    Rep Power
    76
    Sorry - just found it as a right-click option.

  15. #15
    mattgrimley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    316
    Thank Post
    35
    Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Blog Entries
    1
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    In the HTML Version, you can open a HTML Preview of *.doc, *.docx, *.xls, and *.xlsx
    I had never noticed that. It's quite interesting! I wonder if there might be some scope in providing that as the default with a "RIGHT CLICK ME TO SAVE" link at the top? I haven't really thought it through though! I guess it would need a default action on each file-type - internal html viewer, external html viewer (i.e. send to google docs) or open in browser.. Right-click would become the way you downloaded it, if you didnt want the preview..

    Which leads nicely into my other thread:
    I raised a query as to alternate ways of handling MS Office files as they are being "opened in the browser" within IE and stored in the temporary internet files. End users are editing and clicking save and loosing their work - I.E. doesn't give any indication that they are working on a "temporary" file. Anyway, you asked me to post this as a question in here so i have - Solution would be either "client-side", "server-side" or "manipulating the user interaction"..

    Matt

    (P.S. Very much looking forward to FAQ's!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ulead Media Studio Pro V8
    By johna in forum Educational Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th March 2007, 09:49 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th January 2007, 02:36 PM
  3. aero feature
    By Chris in forum Windows Vista
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 14th August 2006, 02:12 PM
  4. Bug/Feature Requests
    By russdev in forum General EduGeek News/Announcements
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 15th January 2006, 08:59 AM
  5. Nice Dell Optiplex feature
    By Dos_Box in forum Hardware
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 18th November 2005, 12:08 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •