+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
Home Access Plus+ Thread, Home Access Plus+ in Projects:; I'm having problems with the most recent version of the config wizard. As soon as I get to the section ...

Thank Post
    I'm having problems with the most recent version of the config wizard.

As soon as I get to the section about which drives to show, I get:

popping up and I can't get any further.

I also notice that the 'My Docs' drive letter resets itself to 'A' instead of 'N'.

This is on server 2k8 on a non-RM network.

Any clues?
    Last edited by IggyTheSmidge; 21st July 2010 at 03:30 PM.

Thank Post

Building/compiling...

You can tell I like HAP+ coz I'm trying to build it so I have at least a faint hope if I ever need an emergency fix to anything when Nick finally takes a break from that relentless attention, has been abducted by Aliens, was assassinated by a S/W vendor or something.

Can't risk tinkering with my current VS2008 environment so I'm using an XP VM & VSE2010 (just C#, Web Developer) + SilverLight 4 Toolkit April 2010 + Silverlight 4 Tools. Then in WebDev:

1) Threw away version control (Express doesn't cope and offered to do that)
    2) Threw away empty HAP.Setup sub-project [edit - this is a deployment project & Express doesn't grok them)
    3) Obtained & re-added a ref to AeroWizard
    4) Obtained & re-added a ref to the ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib
    5) Obtained & readded a ref to AjaxControlToolkit
    6) Zapped (dropped from latest SDKs etc.) refs to system.web.[ajax|silverlight]

Everything builds except HAP.Web which wants Office refs. I'm all out of steam now.. which MS Office version is it pointing at?
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 24th July 2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: VSE2008->VSE2010

Thank Post
    easiest way i found piqueaboo is to download the current relase (ZIP) the dlls you need are in the bin folder including the office ones

4. Thanks to sister_annex from:

PiqueABoo (23rd July 2010)

Thank Post
    The DLLs are in the stuff you throw in inetpub..

::screams::

::goes and bangs head on wall - again::

Course they are. That is just so very, very obvious (with hindsight) isn't it?

Oh well - blame end of term burnout and all that... oh and that longstanding habit I've got of htmerging non-standard assemblies into dotNet things I make to uhh.. eliminate the risk of someone losing or not finding depedencies (I just like flinging code around in one "self-contained" file).

PS: Just started again with fresh copy of source. All missing refs were sorted out from the release bin folder except for Microsoft.Office.Core which I just zapped. It all built.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 23rd July 2010 at 04:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    PS: Just started again with fresh copy of source. All missing refs were sorted out from the release bin folder except for Microsoft.Office.Core which I just zapped. It all built.
    I have done the same, i've not coded in C# before (vb.net is my thing) nor silverlight so thought it may be a good one to play with

Just out of interest how did you get it to compile in vs2008 I had to try butcher it to work with 2010 express which didin't like the custom controls

Thank Post
    There's some stuff that only works in 2010 (e.g. silverlight 4 SDK tools)

Thank Post
    how did you get it to compile in vs2008
    Ooops - was definitely having an off-day - critical typo above now corrected. I did it all in a virtual machine where I installed bits of the Visual Studio Express 2010 "suite" which was just C# and Web Developer (*without* the SQL it offers to install by default for both of them).

Don't think I'll be upgrading my normal dev environment for a while e.g. until there's a 2010 SP1 - I've had Web Dev 2010 Express just crash a couple of times.

Thank Post
    Any one got an feature suggestions for HAP+, I'm getting a little board with nothing to do over the summer hols.

Thank Post
    I'll assume you're serious and pitch it straight: I would consolidate what's there now, rather than add much new. You or other folk might have different ideas about the pros/cons, but things I would personally like to see:

- A 'My Favourites' folder icon (the shell32 star) because I've put that inside a user's My Documents.

- UI "semantics" #1: Ability to call it something other than "My Computer" in the various places where that's done. For some folk I suspect the name will need something to indicate it isn't their local 'My Computer" - dunno "My Computer @ School" or something.

- UI "semantics" #2: In Web file browser change first level down "Back to My Computer" to the same ".." "Up a level" you get in any of the sub-folders. [Not sure that's the correct text].

- Silverlight (beta) & UI "semantics" #3: Finish that and for bonus points see if you can make treeview icons look like familiar Explorer open/closed folders.

- If you're really bored, you could enumerate sub-folder permissions and use that folder+padlock icon to indicate sub-folders where the user doesn't have access.

Thank Post
    I'll assume you're serious and pitch it straight: I would consolidate what's there now, rather than add much new. You or other folk might have different ideas about the pros/cons, but things I would personally like to see:

- A 'My Favourites' folder icon (the shell32 star) because I've put that inside a user's My Documents.
    Will do
    - UI "semantics" #1: Ability to call it something other than "My Computer" in the various places where that's done. For some folk I suspect the name will need something to indicate it isn't their local 'My Computer" - dunno "My Computer @ School" or something.
    "My School Computer" maybe?
    - UI "semantics" #2: In Web file browser change first level down "Back to My Computer" to the same ".." "Up a level" you get in any of the sub-folders. [Not sure that's the correct text].
    I'll be removed in the Silverlight Browser as the tree removes the need for it, and the breadcrumbs remove the need for it in the HTML version.
    - Silverlight (beta) & UI "semantics" #3: Finish that and for bonus points see if you can make treeview icons look like familiar Explorer open/closed folders.
    Now that is a nice thing to do
    - If you're really bored, you could enumerate sub-folder permissions and use that folder+padlock icon to indicate sub-folders where the user doesn't have access.
    Getting NTFS permissions is difficult, but I'll try. I'm not dealing with NTFS permissions, instead relying on the IDENTITY IMPERSONATE part of .net

Thank Post
    You'll be happy to know that all, bar the last item, have now been completed, and checked into codeplex source control. I'll release it on the weekend. It's working rather well

Thank Post
    If anyone can figure out a easy way of reading NTFS permissions in C#, then I'm all ears.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This does so in C++ SetACL: Windows ACL management | Download SetACL: Windows ACL management software for free at SourceForge.net and localzuk made a permission setter in C# here Setting folder owners programatically and here Mass setting NTFS permissions .

Reading in the permissions should be very simmilar.

Thank Post
    Oh that does look good now - it's funny how having those folders makes the difference, but if it does that for me and I'm pretty sure it will make a critical difference some users (I'll likely be putting this on a few Primaries for the autumn term and see how they get on).

If anyone can figure out a easy way of reading NTFS permissions in C#
    I've only ever done that for AD, but it looks much the same for NTFS and sadly I don't think there is a very easy way... it's all trawling through DACLs looking at ACEs (their trustee SID, access flags & masks) and to make matters worse one trustee can feature in several ACEs. It's probably simpler to just try and do [something] in a sub-folder and see if you get some access denied exception (if I click on a sub-folder where I don't have access I get an Unauthorised Access page back now - is it possible or too expensive to do something like that when enumerating the parent folder's contents?).

Thinking aloud: Would you actually bother to display sub-folders they can't do anything with? I think probably yes, because it's consistent with what they see when working on the domain... well unless someone has configured ABE on their domain.
    Last edited by PiqueABoo; 27th July 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanks PiqueABoo. I'll have a think about how to do that, and hopefully implement it. The ".." up folder will hopefully go when I get the drag and drop working into the tree on the side.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 53 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast