+ Post New Thread
Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
Home Access Plus+ Thread, Home Access Plus+ in Projects:; Originally Posted by swrhs Hi all First time posting on thread. I think I've managed to get part of the ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by swrhs View Post
    Hi all

First time posting on thread.

I think I've managed to get part of the Home Access Plus System working because I can login but when I try to see any docs run into problems.

I keep getting the error "Could not find a part of the path" then the system lists the path its trying to get to.

Another issue I may have is that we don't use homepath our system uses folder redirect, 2008R2 and Win7, any advice how I need to set this up would be great.

Cheers Pete Thompson
    What does the path look like for where you want it to redirect? Is it along the lines \\server\share\username?? Also what path does the error message throw up?

Thank Post
    Got it looking really nice now, found some nice high quality png office icons

Out of interest why are all the icons you have supplied very out of whack in size for their placeholders? the images all get squashed to 40x40 but there all 60x60 something or 48x48 making them look quite jagged, or is that something i've done that's made that happen by accident?

All i need is 2 catagorys on here now and then i'll be done

Well i say done..... once i release it to staff they'll all be asking for apps to go on it no doubt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Got it looking really nice now, found some nice high quality png office icons

Out of interest why are all the icons you have supplied very out of whack in size for their placeholders? the images all get squashed to 40x40 but there all 60x60 something or 48x48 making them look quite jagged, or is that something i've done that's made that happen by accident?

All i need is 2 catagorys on here now and then i'll be done

Well i say done..... once i release it to staff they'll all be asking for apps to go on it no doubt
    That looks great, how did you get the applications on there? I have some apps setup on our TS Web Access Site which i would love to add to Home Access Plus, is this what you have done? any help would be hugely appreciated

EDIT - I replied to a reply here by accident but hopefully you get the point anyway!
    Last edited by Zenden; 15th December 2010 at 12:44 PM.

Thank Post

Paths

Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    What does the path look like for where you want it to redirect? Is it along the lines \\server\share\username?? Also what path does the error message throw up?
    The folder redirect is done through a group policy to a SAN, so it's \\storage-01\teacherswork\it\%username%\documents

There are multiple redirect for each departments and the same for students in different years.

The path that is failing is \\storage-01\shared area\staff shared area

Any advice would be great.

Pete

Thank Post
    OK, first off, in Home Access you need to use {0} instead of %username% in a path. So for example, to redirect teachers work as above use this path:

\\storage-01\teacherswork\it\{0}\documents

I believe you would assign a different drive letter for each redirect you want the user to be able to access, such as P: for My Pictures, H: for homedrive documents etc. As long as you change the showto="???" section of the line you can re-use the same drive letters. You could therefore do something similar to:

<add drive="H" name="My Documents" unc="\\servername\teachers\{0}" enablereadto="Staff" enablewriteto="Staff" enablemove="True" />
    <add drive="H" name="My Documents" unc="\\servername\students\Year7\{0}" enablereadto="Year7" enablewriteto="Year7" enablemove="True" />
    <add drive="H" name="My Documents" unc="\\servername\students\Year8\{0}" enablereadto="Year8" enablewriteto="Year8" enablemove="True" />

You would obviously need to add as many drive letters as you need for whatever redirects you have in place. The group names in the showto section are pulled from the AD so use whatever you have set up. We do it by year of entry so 2010 is Year7 etc.

Thank Post

Paths

Thanks for the quick response I'll give that ago.

Cheers Pete

Thank Post
    We now have our home access plus up and running and it looks very nice. I just have one issue that needs resolving. We have a mapped drive that all staff can access to create a folder for themselves or for other people to drop work into. On individual folders they have permissions so only that member can retrieve work etc.. The Home Access Plus doesn't seem to recognise that permission even thoe the correct member of staff is logged on. How can i make the home access plus just allow access for the required user to his or her folder. I can get access if i set the permission to the IIS server name, but that allows every user access.

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnykewell1 View Post
    We now have our home access plus up and running and it looks very nice. I just have one issue that needs resolving. We have a mapped drive that all staff can access to create a folder for themselves or for other people to drop work into. On individual folders they have permissions so only that member can retrieve work etc.. The Home Access Plus doesn't seem to recognise that permission even thoe the correct member of staff is logged on. How can i make the home access plus just allow access for the required user to his or her folder. I can get access if i set the permission to the IIS server name, but that allows every user access.

Thanks in advance.
    Because HAP uses Identity Impersonate, it will use the user's own credentials for NTFS permissions

Thank Post
    Ho ho ho, Merry Christmas, well in HAP+ land anyway:

Today sees the release of 5.4.5, this release contains:

• Added caching support to the base role provider
    • Deleted the redundant OU Selector dialogue in the config tool
    • Made the Home Page Links Config Step "Edit Web.Config" ONLY!
    • Added Groups to the Home Page Links!!!!
    • Updated the change my password control to pick up it's text off the description field in the config
    • Logon Tracker's API will wait for the database file to be released before processing (before it would wait try to write the file twice, and then not write the info)

Please note:

This release contains MAJOR changes to the web.config file.

To enable caching on the role provider, add cache="true" to the web.config file for the role provider. If you don't know where that is, it's near where one of the Admins username/password are

Attachment 8987

10. Thanks to nickbro from:

mrbios (26th December 2010)

Thank Post
    Fantastic, grouping! it's like a little xmas present for me wrapped up in a bundle of code haha

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 975 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Fantastic, grouping! it's like a little xmas present for me wrapped up in a bundle of code haha
    It's all in the wrapper - use the sauce, sorry source

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts

Thumbs up

Nick,

I've been working on implementing this in the run up to Christmas, and just wanted to pass on my comments and thanks. I'm primarily using it for file access, and you've put together an impressive product in that regard - so much so that I abandoned my foray into testing Unified Access Gateway, for which I am truly grateful.

I'll almost certainly have some more comments once the staff are let loose on it, but here's some initial feedback based on my testing so far:

Identity impersonation. I've seen a couple of posts in this thread by people who aren't seeing the expected behaviour with file permissions, the most recent one being just a few posts above. I saw the same thing, and realised that ASP.NET Impersonation was not enabled by default on my install (IIS 7.5). Once I turned it on manually, everything worked as expected, but this wasn't mentioned in the installation instructions. Maybe it's something specific to later version of IIS, but it may be worth mentioning in later revisions to the documentation.

Alternate port for Silverlight file access. As has been previously mentioned by ASW1980, I would find it handy to be able to run the site on a non-standard port and still have the Silverlight My Computer functionality. If it's possible to make that a configurable option in later version, that would be awesome.

Problems with Application Request Routing. This is a fairly obscure issue but I thought it worth mentioning. I was planning to publish HAP behind a reverse proxy using Application Request Routing for IIS. This mostly worked, but downloading files did not work correctly as the download would drop part of the file (large files would be missing a few 100kB off of the end, small files would return 0 bytes). Tracing on the IIS side showed a 503 (Bad gateway) error being returned. The best lead I could find on this is that in cases where requests are proxied, data could be dropped if the ASP code sending the data calls Response.End before calling Response.Close. A small write-up on this is here. I haven't gone digging through the source code to see if that is the case, but since you will be much more familiar with the code, I thought it worth mentioning even though it only happens over proxied connections.

Security hardening. I'm a bit of a security freak, and I get very nervous publishing external websites using a highly privileged account like Network Service, and would be even more nervous of doing so on a Domain Controller - especially with the domain admin account username and password sitting in Web.config. I know RM like to ignore a lot of best practice in this area since they require running IIS on their DCs for the RMMC, but if a malicious user managed to compromise HAP while running in this configuration, you could potentially lose the entire domain. I configured HAP to run under a completely separate standard user account, with no special privileges other than begin configured as an IIS worker, and use the same account for the LDAP queries. I have encountered no problems with this configuration at all when using the My Computer functionality, though I suspect I would need to grant delegation privileges to that account in the AD for password changes if I were using that part of HAP. Are there any other access rights that HAP would need for other parts of the product, to assist others who were as nervous about using privileged accounts as I am?

I hope the above doesn't seem too critical; as I've already said, I'm very impressed with Home Access Plus as a whole, and the fact that those last two things above are very specific should act as a testament to how mature the product is already. Mrs AT works for the local university, and their remote file access system is substantially inferior to yours. I hope your school appreciates how fortunate they are to have a talented coder on staff, and of the enormous benefit to the community of releasing it freely. I know plenty of schools would be very eager to cash in, especially right now, and it's a testament to you and your school's management that they haven't done so.

Thanks,
    AT

14. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

dgsmith (26th December 2010)

Thank Post
    I also have HAP running under a standard account with no problems.

Thank Post
    Thanks AT, the IdentityImpersonation issue is an odd one, it should be there by default (but disabled), however the IIS7.5 settings package should of enabled that.

Silverlight using a port, well that should be already working, since the way my silverlight app works, it uses the web browsers URL and just rewrites the end of it for the API calls.

The Application Request Routing problem, well that might be because of the way I do auth in the basic browser, with a Response.Redirect(url, true). True crudely stops processing of any other rules. I'll try and see if I can remember how to properly code that.

Security wise, the Admin Username/Password is only for AD calls, it is not used anywhere else. The web.config file cannot be accessed through http. You can use a standard user, that is fine, but delegate access would be needed for something to work (mainly in the booking system/help desk). The updating of user info is done under identity impersonate, so it's accessing AD using the users own credentials. The Network Service role is set only to help with NTFS permissions for the App_Data folder. You can leave it as Application Pool Identity, but you need to find that identity name and give the app_data folder the relevant permissions

Thank Post
    RE: The Application Request Routing problem, can you try the attached ZIP file and give feedback. It contains an updated HAP.web.dll file

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread