+ Post New Thread
Home Access Plus+ Thread, My Files - Double Click File Choice in Projects:; I've just installed HAP v10 and would like to thank Nick again on creating a great product. Playing around with ...

Thank Post

My Files - Double Click File Choice

I've just installed HAP v10 and would like to thank Nick again on creating a great product. Playing around with the new features in v10 I've spotted the DirectEdit option and enabled it by default for all users (from: Globally Enable Direct Edit).

In the past, there have been staff that haven't read the warning when double clicking a file, about using 'save as' and to upload it again, then complained that the system isn't working when the changes they made aren't there when they log back in the next day.

I was just wondering if it was possible that when a file is double clicked for the file types that DirectEdit supports (and DirectEdit is enabled), if a message could be displayed first asking the user if they want to "edit the file in (name of default program)" or to "download file". Depending on what is selected, the relevant task then happens. If a message box isn't feasible, an 'Edit' option could be displayed on the blue bar at the top. I am aware that the option to either download or edit is available via right-click, but most users will forget if I tell them about it, will never right-click it, or just double click the file as they are used to.

I've tried to attach an example of what it may look like, although my photo editing skills aren't up to much.

P.S. What file types does DirectEdit support? I'm assuming all of the default MS Office ones.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My Files - Double Click File Choice-hap-edit-download.png  

Thank Post
    Did some work on this today (or yesterday now)
    My Files - Double Click File Choice-dequestion.png

v2 of DirectEdit has been posted to my website (DirectEdit - nb development)

My Files will secretly poll the server to see if the user and IP have been registered for DirectEdit (the register only lasts 5 minutes from the last access of that key in the cache). The page will auto load DirectEdit with a secret to register DE with the HAP+ install (just sends a blank response to the server, the server then processes the username and ip and adds that to the cache so it doesn't have to do it again).

Then DirectEdit is auto enabled.

The process can take all of 2 seconds.

Once enabled, users will now get the new alert/prompt, asking if they want to download or direct edit (via the double click, right click is as it was).

If you click download, it will display the warning about re-uploading the file.

I've also changed some settings in HAP+ which 'should' prevent the LOCKING of the file while it downloads the file. I'm trying at the moment to figure out why the file is getting locked open by DirectEdit when DE uploads the file. I'm struggling to figure this one out.

Thank Post
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. Thanks for making the changes... will these be available in a future release, or can it be installed as-is?

Unfortunately can't help much with the problem of the files locking open (haven't noticed it here), but I did notice that when using IE it would throw a script error and not load the DirectEdit software. Chrome and FF work without any problem at all. I've currently added this code to the DirectEdit.aspx file, which seems to allow it to work properly:

HTML Code:
    <script>
      // Allowing the URI to run in IE, as it throws an error: script 122 the data area passed to a system call is too small
      //http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/4cdae2c4-581c-4a87-b321-db70727cd188
      //http://stackoverflow.com/a/13979566 - IE iframe
      //http://stackoverflow.com/a/9851769 - IE detection
      var isIE = /*@cc_on!@*/false || !!document.documentMode;
      if (isIE) {
                $('<iframe />', {
                    'id': 'hiddenIFrame',
                    'name': 'hiddenIFrame',
                    'src': 'hap://<%=hap%>',
                    'style': 'display: none;'
                }).appendTo("body");
      } else {
             // Run the URI normally, Chrome, FF, etc...
                location.href = "hap://<%=hap%>";
      }
    </script>
    Not sure if it's the right way to do it, or if there's something funny going on at my end.

Thank Post
    They will be a future release, you can always download the latest source code and compile HAP+ yourself to test it

Home Access Plus&#43; - Source Code

Thanks for the code fix, I've put it into the latest source checkin

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread