+ Post New Thread
Home Access Plus+ Thread, Anyway of giving students access to Room Booking...? in Projects:; We'd like to use the room booking system so that our Music Technology students can book our 3 Recording Studios. ...

Thank Post

Anyway of giving students access to Room Booking...?

We'd like to use the room booking system so that our Music Technology students can book our 3 Recording Studios. Is there any way of making the Room Booking system work for students (or just a select group of students)?

Thank Post
    Really depends on how your booking system works, if the booking system needs a sepearte user name and password making a user account that has permission to book and then see how that goes, if it is something that is linked to AD make a secruity group that has the permisson then add students.

If it were me I wound not what to have student that can book rooms, I would just have a paper based booking system that the teacher could handly the booking or have an excel spread sheet they can access.

Thank Post
    Hi Grey-gear, the issue is that even with giving student permissions to access Room Bookings within HAPConfig.xml, when they click on the room bookings icon, they get the message:

Error: Unauthorised Access

You have attempted to access a restricted resource

I believe the Room Bookings may be hard-coded to restrict student access, even with access being granted with hapconfig.

Thank Post
    Here's the relevant bits from Hapconfig.xml:

<Group name="Studio Bookings" showto="Domain Admins, students, staff" subtitle="" hidehomepage="False" hidetopmenu="False" hidehomepagelink="False">
    <Link name="Studio Booking System" showto="Domain Admins, staff, students" description="Book a Studio" url="~/bookingsystem/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/applications/calendar.png" target="" type="bookings" width="2" height="1" />
    </Group>

<bookingsystem maxbookingsperweek="6" maxdays="14" admins="Domain Admins" keepxmlclean="False" twoweektimetable="False" enablemultilesson="false" maxmultilesson="0" archive="False">
    <resources>
    <resource name="Studio 1" type="Room" admins="Domain Admins" enabled="True" emailadmins="True" enablecharging="False" showto="staff, students" hidefrom="" years="Inherit" quantities="1" readonlyto="" readwriteto="staff, students" disclaimer="" canshare="False" enablenotes="false" />
    <resource name="Studio 2" type="Room" admins="Domain Admins" enabled="True" emailadmins="True" enablecharging="False" showto="staff, students" hidefrom="" years="Inherit" quantities="1" readonlyto="" readwriteto="staff, students" disclaimer="" canshare="False" enablenotes="false" />
    <resource name="Studio 3" type="Room" admins="Domain Admins" enabled="True" emailadmins="True" enablecharging="False" showto="staff, students" hidefrom="" years="Inherit" quantities="1" readonlyto="" readwriteto="staff, students" disclaimer="" canshare="False" enablenotes="false" />
    </resources>
    <lessons>
    <lesson name="Period 1" type="Lesson" starttime="08:30" endtime="09:30" />
    <lesson name="Period 2" type="Lesson" starttime="09:30" endtime="10:30" />
    <lesson name="Period 3" type="Lesson" starttime="11:00" endtime="12:00" />
    <lesson name="Period 4" type="Lesson" starttime="12:00" endtime="13:00" />
    <lesson name="Lunch" type="Lunch" starttime="13:00" endtime="14:30" />
    <lesson name="Period 5" type="Lesson" starttime="14:30" endtime="15:30" />
    <lesson name="Period 6" type="Lesson" starttime="15:30" endtime="16:30" />
    <lesson name="4.30-6.30pm" type="AfterSchool" starttime="16:30" endtime="18:30" />
    <lesson name="6.30-8.30pm" type="AfterSchool" starttime="18:30" endtime="20:30" />
    <lesson name="8.30-10.00pm" type="AfterSchool" starttime="20:30" endtime="22:00" />
    </lessons>
    <subjects>
    <subject name="Music Technology" />
    </subjects>
    </bookingsystem>

The Studio Bookings group is showing for students, and in the group the icon for Studio Room Bookings is shown. But when a student clicks they get:

Error: Unauthorised Access
    You have attempted to access a restricted resource

Thank Post
    Hmmmm. Its also not working for staff, but is for Domain Admins. I've missed something somewhere but I really can't see it.

Any help anyone,,,,,

Thank Post
    Edit the ~/bookingsystem/web.config file to allow the groups that need access to the booking system

Thank Post
    Thanks Nick, I knew I was being thick.

Everyone can see it now, but students and staff still can't book. Students and staff have readwrite permissions for the three rooms in the hapconfig.xml, and as a Domain Admin it all looks and works fine but as a staff or student (having applied the css to show green for free, red for booked, grey for timetabled booking) any free slots in the booking show up as Red (for not bookable) but still say Free, Not booked.

Again, It must be a permission thing I've missed, but as you can from the Hapconfig.xml stuff below, students and staff have readwriteto permissions. I've also tried it with changing the quantities from 0 to 1 to see if that made any difference but it didn't.

This is the hapconfig.xml stuff:

<bookingsystem maxbookingsperweek="6" maxdays="14" admins="Domain Admins" keepxmlclean="False" twoweektimetable="False" enablemultilesson="false" maxmultilesson="0" archive="False">
    <resources>
    <resource name="Studio 1" type="Room" admins="Domain Admins" enabled="True" emailadmins="True" enablecharging="False" showto="staff, students" hidefrom="" years="Inherit" quantities="0" readonlyto="" readwriteto="staff, students" disclaimer="" canshare="False" enablenotes="false" />
    <resource name="Studio 2" type="Room" admins="Domain Admins" enabled="True" emailadmins="True" enablecharging="False" showto="staff, students" hidefrom="" years="Inherit" quantities="0" readonlyto="" readwriteto="staff, students" disclaimer="" canshare="False" enablenotes="false" />
    <resource name="Studio 3" type="Room" admins="Domain Admins" enabled="True" emailadmins="True" enablecharging="False" showto="staff, students" hidefrom="" years="Inherit" quantities="0" readonlyto="" readwriteto="staff, students" disclaimer="" canshare="False" enablenotes="false" />
    </resources>

<lessons>
    <lesson name="Period 1" type="Lesson" starttime="08:30" endtime="09:30" />
    <lesson name="Period 2" type="Lesson" starttime="09:30" endtime="10:30" />
    <lesson name="Period 3" type="Lesson" starttime="11:00" endtime="12:00" />
    <lesson name="Period 4" type="Lesson" starttime="12:00" endtime="13:00" />
    <lesson name="Lunch" type="Lunch" starttime="13:00" endtime="14:30" />
    <lesson name="Period 5" type="Lesson" starttime="14:30" endtime="15:30" />
    <lesson name="Period 6" type="Lesson" starttime="15:30" endtime="16:30" />
    <lesson name="4.30-6.30pm" type="AfterSchool" starttime="16:30" endtime="18:30" />
    <lesson name="6.30-8.30pm" type="AfterSchool" starttime="18:30" endtime="20:30" />
    <lesson name="8.30-10.00pm" type="AfterSchool" starttime="20:30" endtime="22:00" />
    </lessons>
    <subjects>
    <subject name="Music Technology" />
    </subjects>
    </bookingsystem>

Any thoughts?

Thank Post
    Lead readwriteto="" blank

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    Lead readwriteto="" blank
    Sorry Nick, but I don't see where that refers to. As far as I can see I have readwriteto="staff,students" in all the BookingSystem parts of the HAPconfig file.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread