+ Post New Thread
Home Access Plus+ Thread, Unhandled Security Exception in v8.7 (IIS 7.5) in Projects:; I am trying to upgrade from HAP+ v8.4 to v8.7. I have an existing 8.4 that is working. I've tried ...

Thank Post

Unhandled Security Exception in v8.7 (IIS 7.5)

I am trying to upgrade from HAP+ v8.4 to v8.7. I have an existing 8.4 that is working. I've tried both a migration (using the old hapconfig.xml file from the 8.4) as well as a clean install and end up with this error once the setup process is complete:

Server Error in '/HAP' Application.

Security Exception
    Description: The application attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission please contact your system administrator or change the application's trust level in the configuration file.

Exception Details: System.Security.SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[SecurityException: The source was not found, but some or all event logs could not be searched. Inaccessible logs: Security.]
    System.Diagnostics.EventLog.FindSourceRegistration (String source, String machineName, Boolean readOnly, Boolean wantToCreate) +714
    System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source, String machineName, Boolean wantToCreate) +460
    System.Diagnostics.EventLog.SourceExists(String source) +22
    HAP.Web.Global.Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) +93

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

I have already tried increasing the trust level in web.config, and I have edited permission in the registry to grant "NETWORK SERVICE" read access to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\eventlog\Se curity

This system is Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP1 with all updates. Nothing else runs on this box; it was set up specifically for testing out HAP+.

AFAIK, it looks like there's a security violation, but the error here is actually only telling me that it can't tell me any more than that (thus, "unhandled" exception).

Thank Post
    Try adding permissions to the application event log

Thank Post
    Getting the same error myself going from 8.4 > 8.7, feel stupid saying it but i don't understand your fix instructions :x

Thank Post
    I think this is something to do with the new way errors are logged. If you go into the registry HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\eventlog\, and delete anything to do with Home Access Plus+

HAP+ uses the administrator's account to create a event log source in the application event log, so you need to ensure that the administrator's account in HAP+ is an admin on the server as well

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    I think this is something to do with the new way errors are logged. If you go into the registry HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\services\eventlog\, and delete anything to do with Home Access Plus+

HAP+ uses the administrator's account to create a event log source in the application event log, so you need to ensure that the administrator's account in HAP+ is an admin on the server as well
    Same problem here. HAP user has Administrator permissions on the server hosting HAP+ but still get the error posted above.

Thank Post
    Going to add myself to this list. Will try the fix above now though.

Thank Post
    Try restarting the server as well

Thank Post
    I am having the same problem and I don't have anything under that reg key to do with HAP - I have tried restarting the service but will reboot the server now too ...

EDIT: Have restarted the server but I still get the same error. Any other ideas?
    Last edited by Freedom; 16th January 2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Update on Reboot

Thank Post
    What are you running the HAP+ Application pool as? IIS AppPool\HAP?

You may need to:

To give IIS AppPool\HAP User read permission on the EventLog/Security key follow instructions from 'System.Security.SecurityException: Requested registry access is not allowed.' when writing to event log
    Code:
    Select Start - Run, then enter: regedt32
    Navigate/expand to the following key:   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Security
    Right click on this entry and select Permissions
    Add the IIS AppPool\HAP User
    Give it Read permission

10. 2 Thanks to nickbro:

AdamS (16th January 2013), MrBrow (17th January 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanks Nick!

I had found other forum posts which indicated that the "NETWORK SERVICE" user accounted for the IIS application pools. I didn't need to make any changes to the registry entries, or add permissions to the Application log; adding the "IIS AppPool\HAP" account with read permission to the "security" key in the registry fixed it.

Thank Post
    Good to hear. HAP+ uses it's own application pool to avoid cross contamination and to reduce the surface area of a possible attack, it's best practice in IIS7 to use separate app pools and customize the folder permissions to reduce the surface area

Thank Post
    A-ha!

Okay, the fix above worked so thanks guys. I did then have the issue of Access to the path 'c:\inetpub\wwwroot\hap\app_data\hapconfig.xml' is denied for some reason and I upgraded in the usual way. Added the HAP pool back in for the App_data folder and it's happy again.

Great work as always!
    Last edited by MrBrow; 17th January 2013 at 12:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Adding IIS AppPool\HAP into the permission list for the 'Security' folder within REGEDIT didn't work for me. Now receiving a new error in the form of:

Exception Details: System Runtime.InteropServices.COMException: Unknown error (0x80005000)

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    A COM Exception error is an error with AD, you'll need to restart the server which should clear the COM error.

AH, it's UAC

IIS 7 ADSI Error: System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80005000): Unknown error (0x80005000) - Http Client Protocol Issues (and other fun stuff I support) - Site Home - MSDN Blogs

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread