+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home Access Plus+ Thread, Error with HAP 8.5 when clicking Save in Projects:; Hi there, I have just been going through setting up the latest version of HAP+ 8.5 and when we get ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Error with HAP 8.5 when clicking Save

Hi there,

I have just been going through setting up the latest version of HAP+ 8.5 and when we get to the section of adding the AD user OU selections on the Active Directory tab we get a little pop-up error message saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object." When we click on "Save" to try and save our config we get the following error message:

Server Error in '/' Application.
    Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    HAP.Web.Setup.Save_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +591
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument) +153
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3706

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272

Any clues?

Jon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here is the error from eventvwr which gets entered when hitting save...

Log Name: Application
    Source: ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0
    Date: 11/12/2012 16:33:28
    Event ID: 1309
    Task Category: Web Event
    Level: Warning
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: webserver.example.com
    Description:
    Event code: 3005
    Event message: An unhandled exception has occurred.
    Event time: 11/12/2012 16:33:28
    Event time (UTC): 11/12/2012 16:33:28
    Event ID: 96b9dce9ad284c6f8de5106633bd8d6c
    Event sequence: 52
    Event occurrence: 4
    Event detail code: 0

Application information:
    Application domain: /LM/W3SVC/6/ROOT-2-129997151202182813
    Trust level: Full
    Application Virtual Path: /
    Application Path: E:\QM Sites\HAP\
    Machine name: webserver

Process information:
    Process ID: 6460
    Process name: w3wp.exe
    Account name: IIS APPPOOL\HAP

Exception information:
    Exception type: NullReferenceException
    Exception message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at HAP.Web.Setup.Save_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEven t(String eventArgument)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Request information:
    Request URL: https://example.com:443/setup.aspx
    Request path: /setup.aspx
    User host address: 10.0.96.200
    User:
    Is authenticated: False
    Authentication Type:
    Thread account name: IIS APPPOOL\HAP

Thread information:
    Thread ID: 29
    Thread account name: IIS APPPOOL\HAP
    Is impersonating: False
    Stack trace: at HAP.Web.Setup.Save_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Custom event details:

Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
    <System>
    <Provider Name="ASP.NET 4.0.30319.0" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="32768">1309</EventID>
    <Level>3</Level>
    <Task>3</Task>
    <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-12-11T16:33:28.000000000Z" />
    <EventRecordID>10014</EventRecordID>
    <Channel>Application</Channel>
    <Computer>webserver.example.com</Computer>
    <Security />
    </System>
    <EventData>
    <Data>3005</Data>
    <Data>An unhandled exception has occurred.</Data>
    <Data>11/12/2012 16:33:28</Data>
    <Data>11/12/2012 16:33:28</Data>
    <Data>96b9dce9ad284c6f8de5106633bd8d6c</Data>
    <Data>52</Data>
    <Data>4</Data>
    <Data>0</Data>
    <Data>/LM/W3SVC/6/ROOT-2-129997151202182813</Data>
    <Data>Full</Data>
    <Data>/</Data>
    <Data>E:\QM Sites\HAP\</Data>
    <Data>NEPTUNE</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>6460</Data>
    <Data>w3wp.exe</Data>
    <Data>IIS APPPOOL\HAP</Data>
    <Data>NullReferenceException</Data>
    <Data>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    at HAP.Web.Setup.Save_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)

</Data>
    <Data>https://example.com:443/setup.aspx</Data>
    <Data>/setup.aspx</Data>
    <Data>10.0.96.200</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>False</Data>
    <Data>
    </Data>
    <Data>29</Data>
    <Data>False</Data>
    <Data> at HAP.Web.Setup.Save_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    </Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

Thank Post
    That error is usually because you have hit save before some of the core information is put into HAP+'s setup page. You don't need to put the OU bits in straight away.

Double check your FQDN is correct

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Nick,

FQDN looks fine to me; all of the preceeding sections where returning a green tick so I presumed they were all OK. I get an error on even trying to put in the OU bits; and even without them in I can not save.

I will post some screen shots tomorrow for you to have a look at.

Jon

Thank Post
    thanks, screenshots would be good

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Nick,

Screen-shots attached...

Here is the general screen showing all green ticks...
    Error with HAP 8.5 when clicking Save-general.jpg

Here is the Active Directory screen showing all green ticks...
    Error with HAP 8.5 when clicking Save-ad.jpg

Then we try to add a user group on the AD screen...
    Error with HAP 8.5 when clicking Save-ad-add-user.jpg

And get this error:
    Error with HAP 8.5 when clicking Save-ad-add-user-error.jpg

And when we click on the Save button we get this error:
    Error with HAP 8.5 when clicking Save-save-error.jpg

Cheers

Jon

Thank Post
    The group should be an AD Group, not an OU.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The AD User Browser OU Editor > Path will not let me select a group or a user; only an OU...

If I enter the name of the group in the "Name" field and the the path to the group in the Path field; I get the same error.

I have tried with and without "CN=" at the start of the group name; as I had to manually enter this on the "Students Group" field to get that to take, and I still get the same error.

Jon

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by nickbro View Post
    The group should be an AD Group, not an OU.
    Hi Nick,

Which group are talking about, the Students group or the AD User lists OU?

I can not see where we have this mis-configured, but am really keen to use HAP here... Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Regards

Jon

Thank Post
    You can try manually using this HAP+ Config and going back to the setup page and changing the username/password (/hap/setup.aspx)

HTML Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <hapConfig version="8.6.1213.1220" firstrun="False" local="en-gb">
      <AD username="administrator" password="" upn="domain" studentsgroup="Students">
        <OUs />
      </AD>
      <Homepage>
        <Links>
          <Group name="Resources" showto="Domain Admins, Teaching Staff, Non-Teach Staff" subtitle="" hidehomepage="False" hidetopmenu="False" hidehomepagelink="False">
            <Link name="Me" showto="Inherit" description="About Me and Change My Password" url="#me" icon="~/images/icons/metro/folders-os/UserNo-Frame.png" target="" type="me" />
            <Link name="Files" showto="Inherit" description="Access your School Files" url="~/myfiles/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/folders-os/DocumentsFolder.png" target="" type="myfiles" />
            <Link name="Emails" showto="Inherit" description="Access Outlook Web App" url="/owa/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/Office-15/outlook.png" target="" />
            <Link name="Calendar" showto="Inherit" description="My Calendar" url="/owa/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/applications/calendar.png" target="" />
            <Link name="Help Desk" showto="Inherit" description="Log/View a Support Ticket" url="~/helpdesk/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/folders-os/help.png" target="" type="helpdesk" />
            <Link name="Booking System" showto="Inherit" description="Book an IT Resource" url="~/bookingsystem/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/applications/calendar.png" target="" type="bookings" />
          </Group>
          <Group name="Resources and Remote Apps" showto="Students" subtitle="Username for remote apps needs to start with &quot;crick\&quot;" hidehomepage="False" hidetopmenu="False" hidehomepagelink="False">
            <Link name="Me" showto="Inherit" description="About Me/Change My Password" url="#me" icon="~/images/icons/metro/folders-os/UserNo-Frame.png" target="" type="me" />
            <Link name="Files" showto="Inherit" description="Access your School Files" url="~/myfiles/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/folders-os/DocumentsFolder.png" target="" type="myfiles" />
            <Link name="Emails" showto="Inherit" description="Access Outlook Web App" url="/owa/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/Office-15/outlook.png" target="" type="exchange.unread" />
            <Link name="Calendar" showto="Inherit" description="My Calendar" url="/owa/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/applications/calendar.png" target="" type="exchange.appointments" />
            <Link name="Timetable" showto="Inherit" description="View/Print My Timetable" url="~/timetable.aspx" icon="~/images/icons/metro/applications/calendar.png" target="" />
          </Group>
          <Group name="Management" showto="Domain Admins" subtitle="" hidehomepage="False" hidetopmenu="False" hidehomepagelink="False">
            <Link name="RM Management" showto="Inherit" description="RM Management Console" url="/rmmc/" icon="~/images/rmmc.png" target="" />
            <Link name="Logon Tracker" showto="Inherit" description="View the Logon History" url="~/tracker/" icon="~/images/icons/metro/other/History.png" target="" />
            <Link name="HAP+ Config" showto="Inherit" description="Home Access Plus+ Config" url="~/setup.aspx" icon="~/images/icons/metro/folders-os/Configurealt1.png" target="" />
          </Group>
          <Group name="Me" showto="All" subtitle="#me" hidehomepage="False" hidetopmenu="False" hidehomepagelink="False">
            <Link name="Me" showto="Inherit" description="" url="" icon="" target="" />
            <Link name="Password" showto="Inherit" description="" url="" icon="" target="" />
          </Group>
        </Links>
        <AnnouncementBox showto="All" enableeditto="Domain Admins" />
      </Homepage>
      <ProxyServer address="adsl.local" port="3128" enabled="True" />
      <SMTP server="" port="" enabled="False" ssl="False" from="IT Department" fromaddress="it@school" user="" password="" />
      <Tracker maxstudentlogons="1" maxstafflogons="4" overridecode="3600" provider="Xml" />
      <School name="School" website="http://www.school.org photohandler="" />
      <bookingsystem maxbookingsperweek="3" maxdays="14" admins="" keepxmlclean="True" twoweektimetable="True" enablemultilesson="False">
        <resources />
        <lessons />
        <subjects>
          <subject name="Biology" />
          <subject name="Chemistry" />
          <subject name="Physics" />
          <subject name="Science" />
          <subject name="Art" />
          <subject name="DT" />
          <subject name="Health + Social" />
          <subject name="Home Economics" />
          <subject name="ICT" />
          <subject name="PE" />
          <subject name="PSE" />
          <subject name="L2L" />
          <subject name="Vocational" />
          <subject name="History" />
          <subject name="Geography" />
          <subject name="RS" />
          <subject name="English" />
          <subject name="Welsh" />
          <subject name="German" />
          <subject name="French" />
          <subject name="SEN" />
          <subject name="Maths" />
          <subject name="WBQ" />
          <subject name="Performing Arts" />
        </subjects>
      </bookingsystem>
      <myfiles hideextensions=".lnk,.ini" writechecks="True" LiveAppId="">
        <mappings>
          <mapping drive="N" name="My Documents" enablereadto="All" enablewriteto="All" enablemove="True" usagemode="Quota">%homedir%</mapping>
        </mappings>
        <filters>
          <filter name="Access Database" expression="*.mdb;*.accdb" enablefor="All" />
          <filter name="Excel Documents" expression="*.xls;*.xlsx;*.xlt;*.xltx" enablefor="All" />
          <filter name="HTML Files" expression="*.html;*.htm" enablefor="All" />
          <filter name="Images" expression="*.jpg;*.gif;*.png;*.bmp;*.jpeg" enablefor="All" />
          <filter name="Powerpoint Files" expression="*.ppt;*.pptx;*.pptx;*.ppt" enablefor="All" />
          <filter name="Word Documents" expression="*.doc;*.docx;*.dotx;*.dot;*.txt;*.rft;*.pdf" enablefor="All" />
          <filter name="ZIP Files" expression="*.zip" enablefor="All" />
          <filter name="All Files" expression="*.*" enablefor="Domain Admins" />
        </filters>
        <quotaservers />
      </myfiles>
    </hapConfig>

Thank Post
    Save that as the hapConfig.xml file in the ~/app_data/ folder

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Nick,

Cheers for that. I saved that as directed, but had to edit line 38 as there was a missing " - it now reads:
    <School name="School" website="http://www.school.org" photohandler="" />
    in my config file.

This lets the front page load; but when I try to go back to the /setup.aspx page I get the following error:

Input string was not in a correct format.
    Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[FormatException: Input string was not in a correct format.]
    System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal) +12636309
    System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info) +224
    HAP.Web.Setup.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +1096
    System.Web.Util.CalliHelper.EventArgFunctionCaller (IntPtr fp, Object o, Object t, EventArgs e) +25
    System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +71
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3064

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.272
    Just thought I should mention; I am trying to run this as the root directory of the site, and not as a sub folder / application of the default site... Don't know if that would make any difference though...

Jon

Thank Post
    put 25 into the SMTP port, that should fix it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hi Nick,

That has got me a step closer ;-)

I can now save the settings in the setup.aspx page without error; but as soon as I try to login I get this error:

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]
    HAP.Data.SQL.WebEvents.Log(WebTrackerEvent Event) +154
    HAP.Web.Login.login_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) +622
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.LinkButton.RaisePostBack Event(String eventArgument) +154
    System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +3706

If I use the <domain name>\<username> or use an incorrect password it works as expected; it is just when I log in with a valid username and password I get the above error.

Cheers

Jon

Thank Post
    can you make sure that the tracker provider (in xml or via website) states XML in caps, I think it's trying to connect to a sql provider, which is shouldn't do

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast