+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Home Access Plus+ Thread, Would HAP qualify for a free SSL from Go daddy??? in Projects:; I have an install of HAP on site and im wanting to get the staff using it. I have seen ...
    Thank Post

Would HAP qualify for a free SSL from Go daddy???

I have an install of HAP on site and im wanting to get the staff using it. I have seen that go daddy offer a free SSL certificate for open source projects. I was wondering if @nickbro would be able to give any advise on this.

SSL Certificate | Free Open Source Certificates - Go Daddy

Thanks

Tim

Thank Post
    Thatt's for project owners, not really end users

Steve

Thank Post
    Try StartSSL for free SSL certificates, if it does not qualify. I used one of these certificates with HAP previously with no problems.

4. Thanks to Ashm from:

timbo343 (16th November 2012)

Thank Post
    Ah... damm. Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve21 View Post
    Thatt's for project owners, not really end users

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashm View Post
    Try StartSSL for free SSL certificates, if it does not qualify. I used one of these certificates with HAP previously with no problems.
    Would this be ok with HAP?? Also whats the catch?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All School qualify for free SSL certificates through the JANET certificate system.
    You need to contact your RBC or LEA.

Thank Post
    Ive spoken to our LEA about this and they will only give a free certificate to the sch.uk domain, we have our own domain so they will not offer a free certificate.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Would this be ok with HAP?? Also whats the catch?
    None as far as I'm aware, works with all major browsers. The only thing with the free certificates is that the validity period is only 1 year so you will have to renew them each year.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ive spoken to our LEA about this and they will only give a free certificate to the sch.uk domain, we have our own domain so they will not offer a free certificate.
    I'm just in the process of getting one from our LEA (LLN) for our .co.uk domain...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashm View Post
    None as far as I'm aware, works with all major browsers. The only thing with the free certificates is that the validity period is only 1 year so you will have to renew them each year.
    I have to do it with our exchange one at the moment anyway so no real biggie

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    I'm just in the process of getting one from our LEA (LLN) for our .co.uk domain...
    I dont understand why our LEA wont allow our .co.uk to be free then? :S

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    I have to do it with our exchange one at the moment anyway so no real biggie

I dont understand why our LEA wont allow our .co.uk to be free then? :S
    Tim:
    Local authorities and Regional Broadband Consortia in England, Wales and Scotland, are able to request SSL Server Certificates* for .sch.uk domains, through the Janet Certificate Service. These certificates are *free* for subscribers of the service.

* Includes Comodo's single and multi-domain Server Certificate. Currently other certificate types cannot be obtained for schools.

Instructions for English, Welsh and Scottish local authorities and Regional Broadband Consortia

To request a server certificate on behalf of a school under your authority, please follow the steps below:

NB: The name and school number in the DNS whois record held at Nominet must match exactly that of the eduBase (or equivalent) record for the certificate request to be accepted.

(1) The local authority or Regional Broadband Consortia (RBC) must be subscribing to the Janet Certificate Service, instructions can be found here.

(2) The local authority or RBC then needs to send a request to the Janet Service Desk (tag@ja.net) to activate the 'schools facility' and request that the schools in their area be added to the account. Please specify the three digit DfE LEA code for your local authority or a list of relevant SEED numbers.

(3) Once we have activated the School facility on your account, you log in to the online service portal, here, and submit a Certificate Signing Request (CSR).

(4) If the CSR contains a .sch.uk domain, the Certificate Requester will be given the option of whom to send the authorisation email to at the school.

NB: the CSR must contain a .sch.uk domain as the first Common Name to enable the school facility, however other Subject Alternative Names (SANs) are allowed, including non-.sch.uk domains, such as schoolname.co.uk. All SANs however must also be registered to that same school.

(5) In order to successfully process a certificate request on behalf of a school, the owner of the domain (the school) must give consent for the local authority or RBC to obtain a certificate on their behalf.

The school authorisation email will contain explanatory information and a link for the school to click on, to give their consent. The email will also state the email address of the certificate requester, as well as how to contact Janet if they are unsure of what to do.

(6) - NEW! With the introduction of a new security step in the Certificate Issuance process, a person at the school will ALSO be required to complete an email challenge response, called Domain Control Validation (DCV). The DCV process is the last step before Comodo will issue the certificate, and must be completed. Click here for details and a list of permissible email addresses which you can choose to the DCV email to. The email address is limited to 5 generic email addresses based on any domains in the CSR, or an email address listed in the c-reg field of the DNS registration (if one exists).

To view a copy of the email being sent to the school asking for authorisation, see here

To view a copy of the DCV email that is sent to the school to an email address the Certificate Requester has to select, click here

(7) Once the school provides the necessary permission (step 5, above) and completes the DCV process (step 6), Comodo will issue the certificate. With the introduction of DCV, certificates are issued much quicker, usually within 15 minutes. Please check the certificate request status within However, ertificates generally only take a couple of hours to be processed but can take up to 24 hours.

Nominet's whois: WHOIS tool | Nominet

EduBase records: Home

SEED records: School Details

If you have any questions regarding this facility please contact the Janet Service Desk by sending an email to tag@ja.net.
    So you need a multi-name SSL certificate it seems with the .sch.uk being the primary one but can have the alternate as the .co.uk

So give them a bit more of a poke if you have no joy let me know I'll put it on the agenda for next months meeting and/or poke higher up if you like.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall_IT View Post
    All School qualify for free SSL certificates through the JANET certificate system.
    You need to contact your RBC or LEA.

I've been advised by our LEA Data Team that JANET will now be charging for the SSL cerificates from 1st April 2013 so get them whilst you can!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,679 Times in 1,459 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get the 10 one from 123-reg, they are cheap and never had any device not trust them. We have 2 in use here.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyc View Post
    I've been advised by our LEA Data Team that JANET will now be charging for the SSL cerificates from 1st April 2013 so get them whilst you can!
    Really Damn and blast that was doing well at saving me

At least the ones I've got are 3 year ones from them so that is something

Thank Post
    Our LEA will not give cert even for .sch.uk. Very handy bunch of people they are.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast