Server temperature monitoring - sensor locations?
Just tweaking our temperature monitoring setup at the moment to have a 2nd monitoring device (after one crashed out the other day) but it got me thinking about where to place the sensors.
As it stands I've got...
- APC UPS temperature sensor mounted high at the back of the rack
- 2 x temperature sensors for the monitoring devices (1 per device)
Now I could have them in a couple of places... thoughts on each please...
- back of rack (exhaust fan temperature is probably going to be the highest i.e. worst case scenario)
- inlet temperature (front of rack i.e. the temperature of the air going into the servers for cooling)
- top of the rack \ somewhere in the room (ambient temperature but could be affected by the cold air stream from the aircon)
Could mix and match i.e. 1 sensor for inlet one ambient etc (also have the option to buy an additional sensor on each monitoring device although may use that for smoke detection)