Time to replace our old server, need advice
We're currently looking to purchase a new server as our old server is simply running out of space and it's warranty recently ran out.
Our old PowerEdge 2900 was an all in one Win 2003 server that did everything DC, DHCP, DNS, Print Server, File Server, WSUS, Anti-Virus, etc. We have about 20-30 users on each day and students use a shared student account. When mobile carts are checked out we can have as high as an additional 60 computers online. Only staff and teachers have folder redirection enabled for My Documents and most computers here are Windows XP.
I've been looking into the PowerEdge R610/T610 servers and our budget is roughly 5-6k US $. I'm also interested in taking advantage of virtualization with ESXi or Xenserver free edition as we could use a virtualized Linux server to host a school intranet site and act as a content filter in addition to a virtualized Windows Server.
I'm looking for advice on specs and how I should handle virtualization as I'm new to it.
So far I have in mind the following.
- x2 Intel® Xeon® E5520, 2.26Ghz, 8M Cache, Turbo, HT, 1066MHz Max Mem
- 16GB Memory (8x2GB), 1333MHz Dual Ranked UDIMMs for 2 Processors, Advanced ECC (Ignore this memory loadout. Keeping this here for reference to original post)
- 24GB Memory (12x2GB),1066MHz Dual Ranked UDIMMs for 2 Processors, Optimized (New RAM spec)
- RAID 1/RAID 5 for H700 or PERC 6/i Controllers (RAID 1 for Virtualized OS/RAID 5 for storage?)
- x2 160GB 7.2K RPM SATA 2.5" Hot Plug Hard Drive (Raid 1, any thoughts on SATA vs SAS? SATA is definitely cheaper so for our small school is SAS really necessary?)
- x3 500GB 7.2K RPM SATA 2.5-in HotPlug Hard Drive (Raid 5)
- iDRAC6 Enterprise
- Broadcom 5709 Dual Port 1GbE NIC w/TOE iSCSI, PCIe-4
- RD1000, Internal SATA Drive Bay for 3.5" Chassis
- QTY2, Internal Removable Hard Disk for RD1000, 160GB Native (should I use this as a backup method? currently use a LTO2 tape backup)
I'm pretty open to how I should approach a new server as long as I'm within 5-6k US $ price range. I thought about a PowerVault NX300 for storage and a separate server as well but I'm not really sure if that's necessary for our school so if anyone can enlighten me please do.
Update: Added Hard Drive quantities.
Update 2: Added in 24GB of RAM