Full setup went something like this-
Originally Posted by SimpleSi
- Assemble printer and power on - wait about 15mins for it to do the pre install setup
- Connect network cable and print network settings test page (button on front of printer)
- Use MAC addy and IP to assign the printer as a static in DHCP
- Download latest drivers from HP website and extract
- Add new printer wizard on server enter IP addy and direct to extracted driver frolder for drivers
- (Printer auto defaults to legal) - change in Advanced > Printing Defults
- Check printers internal webserver to see if everything looks ok there (just enter its IP in to IE and you may need to enter it into the bypass proxy if you get a 404 message)
-Please note- There are two settings for printing defults - one changes it just for the server and the other (in the advanced tab) changes it for everyone.
Well i've installed and shared the printer from a 2003 server and it's been fine ever since. To test i've added a printer connection to the 2003 and 2008 printer on the same XP client, it's prints fine to the printer on the 2003 server but only prints half pages on the 2008 server. Both printers are installed with default settings.
Ok I’ve done some more testing and here is what I’ve found:
1. It prints consistently ok from a 2003 SP2 server both virtual and not virtual
2. It prints fine from a 2008 SP2 server 'Physical' (not extensively tested)
3. It seems to be intermittent on a virtual 2008 SP2 server
I've had it printing fine on a 2008 SP2 Xenserver VM but it won’t print whole sheets from another Xenserver VM (our print server) on the same Xenserver. Normally I’d point my finger at a problem with the print server (2008 SP2) but we have another 20 printers on there all working fine.
My conclusion: I think it's an issue with the 2008 drivers. Can anyone else point the finger at 2008 drivers or have you had issues when shared from a 2003 server as well?
That certinly is an odd problem! Are the 'alternative drivers' setup in the printer settings correctly?
Originally Posted by cookie_monster
As far as I can tell the settings are identical on each server.