ICT Upgrade advice PLEASE!
I recently started at a school to support the ICT Subject Leader in upgrading ICT resources. (I am extremely keen but am in no way a technician so am on a very steep learning curve!!). Unfortunately with a change of ICT Subject Leaders over the past 3 years plans have slipped and the governors are now pushing to get things moving along.
We are a first school with Nursery, KS1 and KS2 - total of 170 pupils.
The school has:
- RM Storebox
- 1 laptop trolley with 18 laptops (about 5 years old)
- 8 teacher laptops (from 5 years to 8 months old)
- about 30 PC's throughout classrooms and admin (some new, some VERY old)
- wireless network.
We have a technician who comes in once a week to deal with the really "techy" issues that I haven't manage to solve.
I've come in half way through the planning process but so far the school are looking to:
- Upgrade to CC4
- Upgrade wireless network (have had issues when children using laptops want to access their folders to save work and they are not all able to see their folder on the storebox. Have been advised that this is due to all 18 laptops logged on at the same time and wireless not able to cope?)
Opinions vary as to developing the ICT resources and these are the main ideas so far:
- Implement an ICT suite with 30 PC's AND
- Retain our existing laptop trolley & teacher laptops (our technician advises that our current laptops just need additional memory (1GB) and will be fine on CC4) ADVICE PLEASE?? AND
- Purchase an additional trolley with a mixture of laptops and netbooks - 15 on the trolley
Therefore resource for each Keystage at any given time during the day
- Replace laptops on current trolley & teacher laptops (if memory upgrade is not the way to go) AND
- Purchase 2 additional trolleys with a mixture of laptops and netbooks - 15 per trolley i.e. 30 new
Therefore go entirely with new laptops/netbooks with each Keystage having resource
Another issue is that the majority of PC's and Laptops are currently RM machines (apart from very old PC's). As I'm not an expert do we stick with RM or with the help/advice from county, resource our own PC's/laptops??
We have quite a large capital budget to use but obviously want to get the most for our money and more importantly want to get it right! At the moment their is no rolling plan to upgrade equipment so this is also something that we have to get in place, pronto!
I am sure there are many schools who have gone through this experience already and I would really appreciate some advice as to the way forward with ICT in schools. Am I old fashioned in leaning towards an ICT suite and maybe having only 1 or 2 laptop trolleys or is the entire laptop trolley/mobile approach the way forward????
PHEW! 10 out of 10 for getting this far!
Looking forward to some feedback please.